t h o m a n n Pro Romantic Guitar

powderedtoastman

t h o m a n n Pro Romantic Guitar

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am

I just noticed today that t h o m a n n has their own branded Romantic guitar for sale online, which I think is super interesting. It has decorations like a Fabricatore, though the body shape looks a little more Guadagnini to me.

I wouldn't buy one without at the very least seeing and hearing some good demos to get an idea of the sound, but I'm very happy to see an offering like this on the market, which looks much more convincing than most other production romantic guitars (Milestones, Altamira and Earlymusicdirect ones don't look authentic enough for my taste, while the Raimundo seems passable).
It's a little expensive for something without a reputation and detailed information, but I would have at least considered it as a cheaper alternative had it been available when I first decided I wanted a romantic guitar. I might consider trying one as a backup or to keep at my office, if I ever have the spare cash for it. That's a big if, not highly likely, but not 100% out of the question! If they could sell it at a price more competitive with the Raimundo then it would be a bit more intriguing as well. Just thought I'd throw this on here to spread the word, see what people think. I'll be keeping my eye out for somebody to demo one of these at some point, really!

EDIT -- forum wouldn't let me say the name of the vendor, but they are a well known German online catalog... not trying to advertise for them, just interested that there is some offering of a production romantic guitar that looks more promising than the ones we've seen in the past!

pogmoor

Re: t h o m a n n Pro Romantic Guitar

Post by pogmoor » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:22 am

powderedtoastman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am
...EDIT -- forum wouldn't let me say the name of the vendor, but they are a well known German online catalog... not trying to advertise for them, just interested that there is some offering of a production romantic guitar that looks more promising than the ones we've seen in the past!
The forum filter has now been altered so that the name t h o m a n n can appear.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am
EDIT -- forum wouldn't let me say the name of the vendor, but they are a well known German online catalog... not trying to advertise for them, just interested that there is some offering of a production romantic guitar that looks more promising than the ones we've seen in the past!
You can say "Big-T" and every expert in Germany will understand what you mean :)
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Seems like a pretty high price for that guitar; not knowing where it was made or who it was made by. It looks nice though!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 pm

I don't know who makes it where, but it seems there is a lot of historical replicas coming from Pakistan... I myself was once in contact with a Pakistani factory about a Vihuela replica, but they wanted to do it only if I would order a larger number, they didn't want to take the risk of distribution for themselves.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm
Seems like a pretty high price for that guitar; not knowing where it was made or who it was made by. It looks nice though!

Martin
Agreed! If it was closer to the price of the Raimundo I would consider it more attractive, but still great to see this out there.
rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 pm
I don't know who makes it where, but it seems there is a lot of historical replicas coming from Pakistan... I myself was once in contact with a Pakistani factory about a Vihuela replica, but they wanted to do it only if I would order a larger number, they didn't want to take the risk of distribution for themselves.
Interesting.. the page says it's made in Europe but that's not very specific!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:17 am

powderedtoastman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

he laws concerning "Made in ..." are very lax ... it suffices that some finishing work is done here in Europe and then it can be labeled 'Made in Europe' as far as I know
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:17 am
powderedtoastman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

he laws concerning "Made in ..." are very lax ... it suffices that some finishing work is done here in Europe and then it can be labeled 'Made in Europe' as far as I know
Not surprising!
There is a dealer in my area who sells guitars that are labeled "Hand Made in Spain" by an unknown brand that I've never seen anywhere else, so I kind of have my doubts. The end result is much more important than where the guitar was made, anyway!

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 pm

I sent an inquiry to t h o m a n n. Let‘s see, what they respond. Anyway a nice guitar at least on pictures. :wink:

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm

That seller actually has some made in Germany stuff. Remember that Germany has a long guitar instrument making tradition and some of the bigger workshops (not the typical names mentioned here) are perfectly capable of producing products to compete in sub-1000 range. At 2k plus (like this one), a German maker is a definite possibility.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:19 am

Philosopherguy wrote:

Martin
I agree, it is too expensive. I recently ordered a 8 string Stauffer copy from a local luthier, Miodrag Zerdoner. His price is about 3000$ CAN. His prices will raise for sure in the future, but for now it is a great price for a great luthier guitar :wink:
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 am

Tomzooki wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:19 am
I agree, it is too expensive ….
Remember that quoted prices in Europe include 20% sale tax (vat). :-) If the guitar is exported outside the EU, the price drops as the tax is not charged.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:34 am

These guitars are built by a luthier from the Czech Republic after an original instrument template from 1850, which sheds another light on the price. Interesting to hear that t h o m a n n seems following the footsteps of the former trading companies in Markneukirchen/Saxonia.

Just wonder why they use such an infelicitous wording, which a bit of unpleasant feeling!

So that's actually a good price for a luthier made replica IMHO!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 pm

It's built by a luthier but still no name, other than t h o m a n n. Might be perfectly fine if you want a new romantic guitar style instrument but I'm not so sure on resale value. It may hold up reasonably well, it may not. Depends how much you value the name t h o m a n n. 25 -30% more and you are into named luthiers. The model seems to be near a Stauffer, especially since it's the short 60 cm string length. I can't say that I like the stain treatment of the maple back/sides but that's very much an aesthetic consideration.
Historicalguitars.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:19 am
Philosopherguy wrote:

Martin
I agree, it is too expensive. I recently ordered a 8 string Stauffer copy from a local luthier, Miodrag Zerdoner. His price is about 3000$ CAN. His prices will raise for sure in the future, but for now it is a great price for a great luthier guitar :wink:
Wow! Yes, that's a phenomenal price! I inquired with a few builders in the US and Canada about building a romantic guitar, and they were all asking around the same ballpark, a good bit more than that.
At the same price point between the luthiers I checked with, while all the builders seem to have good pedigree I felt the choice was obvious for me. But yeah it sure is hard to know what all the possibilities are when you're looking for something like this and there are so many luthiers spread out all over the place.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”