t h o m a n n Pro Romantic Guitar

TKO

Re: t h o m a n n Pro Romantic Guitar

Post by TKO » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am

I was in the assumption that many of the "European made" instruments at the T-shop (whether it's a double bass, romantic guitar or a traditional folk instrument of some sorts) are made by Strunal (Czech) and/or Hora (Romania). There might be others, because the Big-T doesn't naturally like to disclose such information, but for the price they should be more than decent instruments. Both have a history in instrument making that spans decades.

Tomzooki

Re: t h o m a n n Pro Romantic Guitar

Post by Tomzooki » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:39 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm
Tomzooki wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:19 am
Philosopherguy wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm
Seems like a pretty high price for that guitar; not knowing where it was made or who it was made by. It looks nice though!

Martin
I agree, it is too expensive. I recently ordered a 8 string Stauffer copy from a local luthier, Miodrag Zerdoner. His price is about 3000$ CAN. His prices will raise for sure in the future, but for now it is a great price for a great luthier guitar :wink:
Wow! Yes, that's a phenomenal price! I inquired with a few builders in the US and Canada about building a romantic guitar, and they were all asking around the same ballpark, a good bit more than that.
At the same price point between the luthiers I checked with, while all the builders seem to have good pedigree I felt the choice was obvious for me. But yeah it sure is hard to know what all the possibilities are when you're looking for something like this and there are so many luthiers spread out all over the place.
His prices are low because he is beginning and wants to "faire son nom" (make his name in french I don't know the equivalent expression in english). He is not a beginner though, he has made several guitars, most of them Stauffer copies I think, so in a way he has some experience. For early guitar making he has been coached by a specialized luthier who is very active on this forum (I don't name him because I am not sure if I can). And he is a professionnal classical guitarist, an outstanding one I would say, and has played early guitar reproductions before beginning guitar making, so he can evaluate by himself the quality of his work.

You can see pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=114687&p=1222206#p1222206
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”