Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert Rodriguez

Mickey_C

Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert Rodriguez

Post by Mickey_C » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I have received a Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert, and have some questions...

1) I thought every guitar Francisco makes has a mosaic type strip down the center in the soundhole. This guitar does not.

2) are there any marking that indicate the type of guitar? it looks to me like he doesn't mark any model or other information on his labels

3) does francisco use cheap generic tuning machines? I am just a little surprised by that.. I think even schaller hausers are a step up from these.. they don't work as well as I'd expect.

Other than those three questions the guitar is amazingly responsive, very loud and balanced. It does have very high action, but lots of bone so it could be adjusted. It came with Savarez Cantiga HT strings, and a humicase.

Any insight into the questions would be greatly appreciated.

Philosopherguy

Re: Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert Rodriguez

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 am

Mickey_C wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:17 pm
I have received a Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert, and have some questions...

1) I thought every guitar Francisco makes has a mosaic type strip down the center in the soundhole. This guitar does not.

2) are there any marking that indicate the type of guitar? it looks to me like he doesn't mark any model or other information on his labels

3) does francisco use cheap generic tuning machines? I am just a little surprised by that.. I think even schaller hausers are a step up from these.. they don't work as well as I'd expect.

Other than those three questions the guitar is amazingly responsive, very loud and balanced. It does have very high action, but lots of bone so it could be adjusted. It came with Savarez Cantiga HT strings, and a humicase.

Any insight into the questions would be greatly appreciated.
Ramon Amira would likely be the man who could answer some of these questions best. Maybe he will chime in with some information on the mosaic, model information and what kind of tuners they might be.

As far as the action, most luthiers/factories leave the bone a little high because it's easier to adjust the action lower than it is to raise it. Unless you ask specifically for low action, it would always be a safer bet to leave it high and let the player decide what they want.

Congratulations on the new guitar! I have played a couple Navarro's and have been quite impressed by them. I think he is a good luthier.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Mickey_C

Post by Mickey_C » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Thank you Martin, I hope Ramon will see this.

I spent the day with the guitar, and the tone, balance, responsiveness, sweetness of the treble strings and clarity of the bass strings is amazing. This is easily the best guitar I've owned to date, and among the best I've had the pleasure to play. On the downside it is brutally honest about my playing - I need to really practice now!

I can have a local luthier adjust the nut and saddle, and replace the tuning keys with some sloanes or gotoh premiums. The only part I am really curious about is the mosaic... maybe he doesn't do that on the rodriguez model?

It was from memorial music in houston, and the receipt shows it is a special grand concert. It is a new guitar that Francisco was building when I first inquired into buying one, and I had to wait for it to be finished.

Mike

blevinsjake

Post by blevinsjake » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 am

Navarro does not typically put the mosaic strip on the Rodriguez special grand--just that one. And he uses pretty modest tuners; it's one of the ways he keeps his price down, I think. I had a Rodriguez model; it's awesome.

Jake

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 pm

I recently purchased a Navarro SGC Rodriguez in June 2017 from Memorial as well, it is fantastic value for the price. Correct, no mosaic strip on this model, and I believe the tuners are "decent" Schallers. They are the ones with the dark wooden knobs. For me, these tuners are very good and I have not had any difficulty or poor performance with them. I am considering moving from high tension strings, which is what the guitar came with, to medium tension. I have Augustine high tension trebles on now with Savarez high tension basses. Curious what you feel about strings for this guitar. I think these Navarro instruments are a wonderful value for the price, which I believe is kept lower though a lower cost distributor in the U S. Enjoy!!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”