Where & what to try & buy?

mike

Where & what to try & buy?

Post by mike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 am

I'm looking to upgrade to a better guitar - probably a Cordoba C9 / C10 or Kermona Rominda (I'd love other suggestions?)...but I'm struggling to find anywhere near Seattle that has classical guitars in stock. I want to hear and hold the guitars before buying, esp. to decide between spruce vs cedar top.

Is my only real choice to order, play, and return if I don't like? Or is there a store that might have them locally?

Currently I have a Yamaha C40 and a Yamaha Silent Guitar SLG200N (great for letting kids sleep) - been playing for 9 months. Much to my surprise I regularly find myself still picking up the C40 cause the sound and feel has more...not sure of good way to describe..."texture".

Mickey_C

Re: Where & what to try & buy?

Post by Mickey_C » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I don't know about locally, but I did the try and buy with a cordoba C10 through sweetwater. Ultimately the guitar was not for me, but I have to admit the process was painless, from ordering, all the way to shipping back. Completely hassle free. FWIW if I was choosing between the C9 and C10 I'd definitely get the C9, I think it sounds more balanced, and is the better deal.

Another brand I'd suggest is Casa Montalvo; they are probably the most bang for buck out there. They are made in Paracho Mexico, and set up at Berkeley music. They are very good student guitars. I have one of the Hauser select models with Cocobolo back and sides and it's a very very good guitar, especially in that price range. I've seen them used for under 1,000 on Reverb - and I don't think anything can touch them for that price.

For a little more used - but it might take some luck - is to find a good deal on a used 120 or 130 anos Ramirez, or PE model Allejandro Cervantes or Francisco Navarro. Don't be put off by guitars built in Paracho, Mexcio - they are making some great guitars right now.

Good luck!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 pm

If you like your Yamaha C40 (entry level), why not try a solid top Yamaha? Perhaps a GC22S/C or even higher up if you can afford it. Here is a review by Bird Ekachai Jearakul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFydCiM5Bvc. It's in Thai, but you do get to hear the difference between cedar and spruce in the same setting with the same player.
Last edited by Beowulf on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

mike

Post by mike » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks all! Based on your suggestions I've been tracking down online recordings and listening to a good variety of guitars.

Agreed, Beowulf - maybe I should stick with Yamaha's since I like their sound. Though part of me would like to branch out into other brands. The GC22S does sound lovely.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:12 am

Hey Mike,
TRY Rosewood guitars in Seattle.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”