K. Yairi guitars? Carulli H110 and YC-04

Ruki1414

K. Yairi guitars? Carulli H110 and YC-04

Post by Ruki1414 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 am

Hello,
I am from Munich, Germany and started to play guitar after more than 15 years. I play at the moment mostly nylon strings guitars (although I do have two steel strings guitars I used to play other before 15 years break). I bought these two old "ladies" in last half a year.

I searched a lot aboot Yairi and Carulli guitars but perhaps can somebody add some new information to the facts I already know or correct me.

The right one is 1977 Carulli H110. It is Ramirez 1A copy, probably made by Yairi. It is a big guitar, Scale Length: 665 mm, Nut Width: 54 mm. Cedar top and laminated (rosewood(?) sides. In internet I found out that Carulli H150 is Carulli branded (for German market) Yairi CY-130 Conquistador. But I still don't know the corresponding Yairi guitar for my Carulli guitar. The back and sides look like 70er YC-90 (model for Japanese market), but headstock and sound hole rosette are different. The guitar is loud and sounds really great with really deep basses and clear and strong trebles. I asked already by Yairi about it but haven't recieved any answer.

The left one is 1982 K.Yairi YC-04. It seems that YC-0X guitars have been mainly made for Australian market. I found two guitars for sails in gumtree which are looking pretty similar to my (YC-03 and G1). Top: cedar, back and sides : probably laminated schizomeria (because of the Australian market?). Scale Length: 660 mm, Nut Width:54 (or 53, I'm not 100% sure) mm. After getting new strings it is even a little bit louder and has more dynamic than Carulli and somehow more modern in the sound.

Does somebody has more information about the guitars and perhaps owns one?
In next weeks I'll try to record sound samples or/and videos and post it.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
Regards,

es335

Re: K. Yairi guitars? Carulli H110 and YC-04

Post by es335 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello to Munich,

the trace of the Carulli H150 you found were most probably from my guitar, which had been sold not long ago.
Here is the corresponding thread on Decamp.

I found my way by means of old Alvarez-Yairi catalogues from the 70s but the identification of my Carulli guitar was much easier due to the significant headstock. Your guitar seems to share the same Manuel Contreras headstock shape but without the moorish bas-relief but is most probably one or two models below.

What strikes me most of your guitar is that the top looks very much like spruce, which is very unusual for Yairi in general and particularly this time. I do recommend the bulb test for verification.

Otherwise rely on the headstock shape and the the rosette to trace your guitar!

Good luck! Yairi built and builds of course really nice guitars and prices for Carulli guitars were not small in Germany in the 70s!

Cheers es335

Ruki1414

Post by Ruki1414 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 am

Hello,

thank you for the reply. Yes, I read your thread in the forum about H150. Basically you're right, on the pictures I made, the top of Carully looks like spruce, but in reality the color is not as yellow. What about bulb test? Do you mean (I found in another thread):

"That's the one to go for, the light test. The thin plates allow you to do this - cabinet makers probably use thicker stuff.
With spruce you should see the internal struts as dark lines and be able to spot any differences in thickness."

Regards,

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm

That’s right! In our recent smartphone world you could untilize the pocket flashlight app, put it inside the body in the dark and check if the bracing becomes visible. If yes it’s spruce, if not it’s ceder which one would expect!

Ruki1414

Post by Ruki1414 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,
it seems to be the spruce top. I tested both guitars and Carullli was much more translucent than YC-04. I added some pictures from the inside of the guitar.

Regards,

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 pm

It looks good. Whatever it is. The lesser expensive japanese factory guitars have basically square rectangle braces of mahogany or spruce. Your's are shaved nicely. So whatever it is, you can bet it sounds nicer than most guitar from Cordoba today...

These old Japanese guitars are a great value in the classical guitar world. I don't doubt many of these instruments can compete with custom built instruments of today.

Whatever it is, there is nothing wrong with many of these budget instruments, they sound sweet and were built in the style of great instruments. Enjoy. I'm chasing a vintage Japanese guitar this evening, I hope it's good.

I know it's laminated rosewood...but real veneer not three ply with white wood.

Ruki1414

Post by Ruki1414 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Thank you for your comments.
@es335 - There are K.Yairi spruce top guitars from thid period - e.g. Y505P - but it is definetely not my Carulli.
Regards

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Ruki1414 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:43 pm
Thank you for your comments.
@es335 - There are K.Yairi spruce top guitars from thid period - e.g. Y505P - but it is definetely not my Carulli.
Regards
There is a very active thread in this Forum, We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp, where you can find, for sure, an answer to your questions about the origin of these Japanese vintage guitars of yours :).
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, RW B&S, Tokio, JPN (under repair)
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51, Ced, lam RW B&S, Nagoya, JPN
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CAN Ced, MDG RW B&S, Banyoles, ESP

Ruki1414

Post by Ruki1414 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Hello Jorge,
thanks a lot for your answer. I know the thread "We who love Japanese classical guitars - Delcamp" very well and got a lot of information about vintage Japanese guitars from it. I decided to open a new one, because I thaught that the topic is very special and hoped that I can get some Information from an owner of Carulli branded guitars. It seems that brand Carulli has been sold only in Germany. In between I found out that Carulli H80 model exists - currently on sale in Germany - in other German classic guitar discussion boards they are mentioning Y80 as well, and of course H150 - probably Yairi CY 130).

But never the less, my guitar is a really nice one (perhaps a little bit too big for my hands) and I like it a lot.

Best Regards,

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”