Buy or avoid this guitar

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 pm

What make it is?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Is that a crack running along the side of the fretboard?

Michael L
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael L » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 pm
What make it is?
It's a Hofner HM65-Z

Michael L
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael L » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 pm
Is that a crack running along the side of the fretboard?
I don't know. If the seller responds to my email I may get better photos.

User avatar
Debussychopin
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Debussychopin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 am

Looks to me the guitar has been impacted bluntly at about that top bout area and they are cracks.
I wouldn't buy it.
Why spend 200 for cracked or iffy damaged items when you can buy 500 brand new.
Over a course of a year or less, you won't see the difference in money spent but you'll live w the qualitative differences for the rest of relationship to that guitar.

Yamaha GL1

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6557
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 am

It's impossible to say whether they are cracks or not. Even I can't tell and I've over 35 years experience in this field. Not only is the photo quality low but even if it was of a very high quality you still can't be certain. You need to see the guitar in person and preferably by someone who is experienced in repair or making. The line next to the fretboard could be a slight accumulation of varnish and it's the light that's reflecting off it. Side of the fretboard is a known danger point for cracks though. The obvious deep mark/crack doesn't appear to be an obvious open crack to me eyes yet it appears to be quite a bit wider than the grain lines. That suggests more of a blunt score mark. Those are my guesses based on that one photo. It's a guess though. I would need to see the guitar in person to be certain. A much better photo would increase or decrease the chances of those guesses being correct.
IF they are deep scratch marks then £200 for a £500 guitar seems pretty good to me - providing the rest of the instrument is OK.
Historicalguitars.

Michael L
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael L » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

Debussychopin wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 am
Looks to me the guitar has been impacted bluntly at about that top bout area and they are cracks.
I wouldn't buy it.
Why spend 200 for cracked or iffy damaged items when you can buy 500 brand new.
Over a course of a year or less, you won't see the difference in money spent but you'll live w the qualitative differences for the rest of relationship to that guitar.
Having several hobbies and diy work competing for my pension and time, the opportunity to buy a decent guitar at low cost appeals. Despite my current enthusiasm, I can't be sure that I will settle into a regular practice routine, though i am encouraged by the training programmes on this site. I would rather start with an instrument with good tone and action. I don't want to be put off by using a poorly built guitar.
I can invest in something better if, after a year, I am still enjoying playing. So far I have had no reply to my email, and it may be that my questions - mainly about the nature of the cracks - are too difficult to answer. Of course it may have been sold. Meanwhile I am learning more from here and elsewhere.

Michael L
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael L » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 am
It's impossible to say whether they are cracks or not. Even I can't tell and I've over 35 years experience in this field. Not only is the photo quality low but even if it was of a very high quality you still can't be certain. You need to see the guitar in person and preferably by someone who is experienced in repair or making. The line next to the fretboard could be a slight accumulation of varnish and it's the light that's reflecting off it. Side of the fretboard is a known danger point for cracks though. The obvious deep mark/crack doesn't appear to be an obvious open crack to me eyes yet it appears to be quite a bit wider than the grain lines. That suggests more of a blunt score mark. Those are my guesses based on that one photo. It's a guess though. I would need to see the guitar in person to be certain. A much better photo would increase or decrease the chances of those guesses being correct.
IF they are deep scratch marks then £200 for a £500 guitar seems pretty good to me - providing the rest of the instrument is OK.
If I do get some better photographs I will post them. What I really want to see is the correspondence with Hofner. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice so far.

Michael L
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael L » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 am

Have spoken to seller. Photos on way.

CathyCate
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by CathyCate » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

This guitar seems to have a lot of history and mileage. Who knows what else the neighbor's children did while they had access to it? Will you be able to return it for a full refund, if you don't like the feel or the sound of it once it is in your hands? The flaws leading to this "bargain" are likely to make it more difficult for you to trade up again when you are ready to do so. That time may arrive sooner than you think.
There are lots of guitars in the world. If you are willing to buy a used instrument, there are many other available options. Patience will payoff in the long run. Happy hunting!

Michael L
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, UK

Re: Buy or avoid this guitar

Post by Michael L » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks Cathy

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”