Question for "Also Archtop Players"

DaveLeeNC

Question for "Also Archtop Players"

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 am

I am a low intermediate player mostly focused on traditional CG stuff. But I also have a small repertoire that I play on an amplified archtop (CG style - nails and all) and these pieces to my ear just don't render well on an unamplified instrument (mostly blues and jazz kind of stuff). OTOH, while I can move between these two pretty different guitar types, I find that I really cannot effectively play "piece #1" on both instruments no matter that that piece might be. Plus the nails interact with the strings so much differently, etc. And some of these pieces really need better high fret access than comes with a CG. http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultgrconambiancep.htm

So I am considering selling one of my archtops and replacing it with a Godin Multiac Grand Concert Dual Ambience model that has gotten a very good review from a source that I trust, and would APPEAR TO mostly solve the issues that I raised above. Note that this does have a neck and string spacings that is roughly CG in dimensions. But I have never tried one of these and have no idea how far I might have to drive to give one a shot.

Anybody out there ever tried one of these guitars? Other comments/thoughts?

Thanks.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

David Conti

Re: Question for "Also Archtop Players"

Post by David Conti » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 am

I have a multiac grand concert and love it. This is the one that is also full midi.
Great neck shape,52/650 scale and so easy to play
even sounds OK unplugged

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:28 am

David, thanks for the response. FWIW, a "youtube guy"(for better or worse) named Dave Stewart had a quite similar reaction to this instrument seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlyhqr0dX0 .

dave

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 am

Martin Taylor has a soon to be released archtop, "Joya" that is being introduced via his internet sites. His concept, prototype seems interesting.
You might want to add that to the mix in your shopping around.

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 am
Martin Taylor has a soon to be released archtop, "Joya" that is being introduced via his internet sites. His concept, prototype seems interesting.
You might want to add that to the mix in your shopping around.
CathyC, that is quite interesting given that I am a Martin Taylor fan and much of what he plays represents what I would like to be able to play on my existing archtop(s).

But while I have managed to create a coexistence between the two instruments (right now and for the foreseeable future the vast majority of my play is on CG), I find the mixture to be troublesome. And it doesn't look like this instrument would address those issues, although the size and scale is nice. But the differences in spacing and feel between nylon and steel remains.

But this is interesting, regardless. Thanks.

dave

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”