Re: Unknown, possibly Russian Guitar

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:54 pm
Marshall Dixon wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:16 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:20 am
Hi, this guitar belongs to a friend. The shop that she got it from says that it’s Russian. Checkout the wood on the bridge, it looks like the same stuff they use on rifle stocks.

Does anybody know what the back and sides are? Can anybody read the label.
I can't tell from the pics; is the rosette a mosaic or a decal?

How did it sound? Good, bad or indifferent?
Sounds great. The rosette doesn't appear to be a decal.
Thanks for the reply.

Very nice work then. The back is bookmatched from the back view but I see no center strip on the inside, which makes me think it's laminated. That would make sense because it looks to be flat sawn. I'd go with rosewood too.

When you say gunstock material, do you mean walnut? It has a little of the appearance of paduak, but that darkens with age a bit more I'd say. Is the peghead veneer the same wood as the bridge?

Any chance of getting a peek at the inside? See what the brace layout is just out of curiosity.

Marshall

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Double post

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 pm

I owned a guitar made by Leningrad factory in mid-1970s. Just terrible. But their mass produced guitars did not have labels mentioning a person who made it (D. Tikhonov in your case). The guitar you are asking about has such label and looks like has a solid back not found on their mass produced guitars either. This could be a nice entry or mid-level guitar similar to ones coming out of, say, Ramirez factory.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm

I am not sure that it is rosewood - usually guitar made on a factory even by the luthiers were made from laminated back and sides.
Yes, that's why I hesitated.. but it sure looks like (brazilian) rosewood to me.
One Russian luthier from SPb, Andrei Babichev, told me that it is possible that guitar is made from rosewood :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:10 pm

The dealer that she bought it from says that the back and sides are indeed Brazilian. I wonder if the sides are solid. There is no cleating inside the guitar on the sides, although I have had Spanishguitars before that didn’t have them, and they were solid.

The top of this guitar appears to be solid, as there is no sandwich line when looking at the sound hole. The top does appear to be thicker than normally seen on most guitars, when looking at an angle at the sound hole. Unfortunately, she sold it over the weekend back to the same dealer she bought it from, so I won’t be able to get any more pictures, as the dealer is 60 miles away in another town.

PavelNovo

Post by PavelNovo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 pm

eno wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 pm
... and Eastern Germany made guitars (I forgot the brand) ...
The German brand was Musima. And yes, they were better than USSR made instruments. This one however seems to be of a pretty decent quality, I'm impressed. This factory used to have an experimental shop dedicated to producing high quality instruments. Maybe that is the product of that shop, otherwise I can´t see why they put the luthers´name on it.

eno

Post by eno » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:10 pm
The dealer that she bought it from says that the back and sides are indeed Brazilian. I wonder if the sides are solid. There is no cleating inside the guitar on the sides, although I have had Spanishguitars before that didn’t have them, and they were solid.

The top of this guitar appears to be solid, as there is no sandwich line when looking at the sound hole. The top does appear to be thicker than normally seen on most guitars, when looking at an angle at the sound hole. Unfortunately, she sold it over the weekend back to the same dealer she bought it from, so I won’t be able to get any more pictures, as the dealer is 60 miles away in another town.
That's all good stuff but most important is how it sounds and how playable it is. Have you tried playing it?
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:

it is possible that they are solid or laminate too...
at that time luthiers in SPb worked with both type of materials.
solid wood brazilian luthier guitar was around $600
laminate a bit less, but these guitars made by luthiers could be solid or laminate .. both...top (of luthiers guitar)was always solid 100%
it usually ere well done guitars except some of them were better sounding and better playable than others
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 pm

PavelNovo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 pm
eno wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 pm
... and Eastern Germany made guitars (I forgot the brand) ...
The German brand was Musima. And yes, they were better than USSR made instruments. This one however seems to be of a pretty decent quality, I'm impressed. This factory used to have an experimental shop dedicated to producing high quality instruments. Maybe that is the product of that shop, otherwise I can´t see why they put the luthers´name on it.
Yes, Musima looks better and been playable, but... it was 100% laminate, even top too. I recommended it for pupils, but for performer - good , solid brazilian rosewood was norm. I played concerts on Russian made rosewood guitar then...

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 pm

eno wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:19 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

That's all good stuff but most important is how it sounds and how playable it is. Have you tried playing it?
Yes I did play it. It plays and sounds really good.. it had been professionally set up. The tone was similar to my old Ramirez 125 anyos. It was not a dud by any means. Sweet, woody tones. It was strung with Savarez 520R. Someone had asked if the rosette was a decal or not. It appeared to be inlaid. All in all, it was really quite nice.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”