Picking my first guitar....

Philosopherguy

Re: Picking my first guitar....

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 pm

If I were you, based on what I read here, I would go to the store and find something in the Yamaha range in the CG series, starting from CG122 or higher (at least a solid top with a standard classical guitar nut width). They are a very reasonable price and a guitar that plays pretty good. The sound might not be astounding compared to luthier guitars, but they aren't that bad either. I think you would at least be satisfied for a year or two while you decide if classical guitar may be your thing. If in a couple years you want to pursue more classical guitar, you can save for a more suitable mid-range to luthier guitar. You can get a decent sound out of the CG series of Yamaha. Put some half decent strings on them and they may surprise you. I have played a couple CG192 guitars that sounded quite nice.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm

There is a brand called Lucero. The are on the big auction site. They have a model called the LC200S that has a standard 52mm nut. I bought two of this model, one for me as a travel guitar, and one for my daughter in law as a first classical guitar. The top is solid with lam rosewood back and sides. Action on both was 3.5 on the low E and 3.2 on the treble E. They can be had for $299 or less new. The frets were all even and weren't poking out past the fingerboard like on Cordoba models that cost two or three times more.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:14 pm

volante5767 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm
Thank you all for the info, very kind, seems a a lot easier picking a steel string, this is a minefield! lol....never realized it would be so complex.
I think this can be a good learning opportunity for you to learn about picking a decent classical guitar. Thus, you may want to take your time, even try to ask a local teacher to help go with you to select one with your budget? You can agree on a consulting fee before going? After having trying out a couple in your price range, with the help of a teacher, you'll get a decent guitar with no surprises and confidence!

Just my thought!

volante5767

Post by volante5767 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Brought my Guitar, she's an absolute beauty!
Tried many, Yamaha's included, but i tried an Amira A15 and that was 'it' for me, over the moon with it! wonderful action, beautiful tone and finish is amazing!
Thanks for all the help and input Guys.
Ps...Also found a brilliant teacher who specializes in Classical Guitar and there's also exam grades i can attempt when ready, he's a cool Guy and we have gelled really well...happy!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:50 am

volante5767 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm
Tried many, Yamaha's included, but i tried an Amira A15 and that was 'it' for me, over the moon with it! wonderful action, beautiful tone and finish is amazing!
Ps...Also found a brilliant teacher who specializes in Classical Guitar and there's also exam grades i can attempt when ready, he's a cool Guy and we have gelled really well...happy!
Now you just need to do a New Guitar Day Post and post some pictures so we can see it!
Congrats!

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:12 am

volante5767 wrote:
Oh yes, those "Amira" guitars are great! I highly recommend Amira guitars. But I suspect your guitar is an Admira A15.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:30 am

One of my students has an A15 - nearly a year old now and warmed up nicely with lots of character; so expect it to change the more you play it :bravo:
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

To the OP, also a proud owner of an A15, would the tone sounds similar to this demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEtjz0P4Ebo
8)

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:50 am

volante5767 wrote:
I had 3 Admiras: Maria, Malaga and Avila. The last was really good - and the A15 seems to be an equivalent but with cedar top.

I think the A15 will be my fourth Admira since the Artista/Soledad is not readily available anymore.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

volante5767 wrote:
Congrats on your new guitar and also on finding a teacher that you are happy with you. May you have many years of happy music making ahead.

volante5767

Post by volante5767 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Cheers Guys,
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.
I will post a few pictures of the Admira ASAP.
Many Thanks

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:33 pm

In your price range, new, I would look for a guitar made one of the better Spanish factories in Valencia such as Esteve, Burguet, Juan Hernandez, Manuel Adalid, Ricardo Sanchis, Hermanos Sanchis Lopez
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”