Best intermediate-price cutaway classical

LarryShone

Re: Best intermediate-price cutaway classical

Post by LarryShone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Then there's the Tanglewood TWC-E1 Roadster Electro Classical Guitar from English company Tanglewood, electro, cutaway and narrower fingerboard.

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product/twce1/
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing!
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon M100A Mandolin

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Another approach would be to get a Brahms guitar. With the added high A string you wouldn't typically have to go past the 12th fret. You'd obviously have to expand your price range considerably, but if you're in the U.S. then you might save the difference via the new tax bill:-)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 pm

I hear that millionaires are getting a complimentary Brahms guitar thrown in with their very large tax break. They just stuff the sound hole with cash and send it off. Because the bill is music to their ears!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:28 pm

I didn't see your preferences in sound from the guitar... Ie... pure classical or perhaps something else.....

If you are playing fingerstyle in a variety of genre's.. I'd like to suggest you look at the Cordoba GK Studio or the Pro model.... 50 mm width at the nut, slightly thinner neck thickness with a nice body depth with a cutaway. It's not considered a crossover width neck & isn't quite "classical".

For me, it's the perfect middle of the road guitar. My GK Pro Negra is perfectly suitable for playing pop, jazz and a number of classical tunes.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

eschutz

Post by eschutz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Wow, lots of recommendations! I have tried the Yamaha NC's people have mentioned, they are nice indeed - but very quiet unplugged, at least the ones I tried. And yeah, the Tak's are nice. I'd like to try a Hirade - I had a chance to try one once but didn't take much advantage of it. And elevated fretboards are definitely intriguing alright, haven't been able to try one yet. Thanks, everyone, a lot to look at here!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”