New Ramirez Studio Guitars - ESTUDIO 1, 2 and 3

safesphere

New Ramirez Studio Guitars - ESTUDIO 1, 2 and 3

Post by safesphere » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 pm

This PDF, introduces a new line ofJose Ramirez studio guitars that come with carbon strings and without a guitar case:

http://www.codamusic.ru/Ramirez/CATALOGO%20ESTUDIO.pdf

Does anyone have more information or has heard the new sound and how it compares to NE1, NE2 or NE3 respectively. I've been in the market for the Ramirez 4NE, but it seems to have been discontinued and replaced with the new Studio 3. While the change is advertised as an "improvement", the fact that the new line comes with no case seems to be a troubling sine of cutting costs and maximizing the profit. In addition, the new line is equipped with carbon strings that is another troubling sign of presenting a different sound as "improved", but how would it compare with the same nylon strings?

The 4NE model has quite a reputation. The new Studio 3 model is a newcomer at a slightly higher price point ($3,068 vs. $2,950), but without a case and with unconventional strings. Is it an improvement or a step down? I would appreciate any insight.

Philosopherguy

Re: New Ramirez Studio Guitars - ESTUDIO 1, 2 and 3

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm not a fan of the new labels! Hahaha.. Not that the label makes a difference. My feeling is that these will come with cases from most retailers, it might just not be apparent right now from this advertisement. Although, not every retailer included a case even with the NE series. My Ramirez both came with the same cheap wooden case, not anything too crazy to be upset with not getting. When I bought my Ramirez I remember the guy saying that they shipped the guitars in these cases, but that they weren't anything to write home about and didn't quite fit the guitar as well as they could have. However, they work.

From what I see online, the 4NE is the exact same price as the Estudio 3. I expect there weren't many changes to the new model, other than a few cosmetic updates. They would be stupid to fool around with likely their best selling midrange estudio guitar.

Martin
Last edited by Philosopherguy on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Why the worry about carbon strings? They're the best.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:53 am

My friend's shop is going to be a Ramirez dealer again. They haven't been a Ramirez dealer for about 5 years when the shop's previous owner passed away. I can't wait to check out the new line.
I am hoping especially to see if he gets any in to the shop in spruce. I currently have a 4NE. Does anybody know what type of tuners the new Estudio line will sport?

Alytw

Post by Alytw » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:15 am

The ad says carbon 3rd. I’ve used the ramirez medium with carbon 3rd on my 4ne and they sound fantastic to me. The other changes....I’m curious too.

Adam

piotr

Post by piotr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:34 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:53 am
My friend's shop is going to be a Ramirez dealer again. They haven't been a Ramirez dealer for about 5 years when the shop's previous owner passed away. I can't wait to check out the new line.
I am hoping especially to see if he gets any in to the shop in spruce. I currently have a 4NE. Does anybody know what type of tuners the new Estudio line will sport?
The tuners on new Ramirez are made by Van Gent.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 pm
I've never played a Ramirez but I'm concerned a guitar that has carbon strings as standard tells me the guitar lacks projection and clarity?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:51 am

edcat7 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 am
Gary Macleod wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 pm
I've never played a Ramirez but I'm concerned a guitar that has carbon strings as standard tells me the guitar lacks projection and clarity?
Not necessarily, my new Stephen Hill came with carbon strings as do both Hernandez and Esteve.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 pm

edcat7 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 am

On the other hand, it tells ME that Ramirez is opting to go with marketing the modern developments so as not to seem stuck in a time warp of 50-60 year in the past. Everyone is going to change the strings at some point anyway, it's not a Bosendorfer Grand Piano.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

safesphere

Post by safesphere » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:11 pm

David Norton wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 pm
... Everyone is going to change the strings at some point anyway, it's not a Bosendorfer Grand Piano.
I'm not an expert in strings, but from what I read it seems that carbon has pros and cons and is not unconditionally better than nylon in all aspects. Some people like certain guitars the way they sound with nylon. Changing them to carbon would change the sound that may not be desired in certain cases. We'll know the truth only when someone puts nylon strings on the new Studio 3 to compare it to 4NE apples to apples and posts a video or sound sample.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 am

safesphere wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 pm
This PDF, introduces a new line ofJose Ramirez studio guitars that come with carbon strings ...
Just FYI, and before people jump to too many conclusions, having just looked at the PDF, I think only the g string is carbon, for it says: "Strings/Cuedras: Ramírez hight tension 3th in carbon./Ramírez Alta tensión 3ª carbono".

Not quite as "troubling", perhaps? In case someone doesn't know, a tubby/thuddy-sounding nylon g string is a rather common occurrence in classical guitars, and many people choose to use a carbon g string (which is thinner than nylon, and thus it can be a bit brighter sounding), but still use nylon for all the other strings.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”