8 string guitar on a budget

Conall

8 string guitar on a budget

Post by Conall » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Fellow Guitarists,

I'm considering experimenting with an 8 string classical guitar so don't want to spend a fortune on a handmade guitar yet. I was considering the Ibanez 8 string classical (about £650 sterling) & still thinking about it but it seems to be difficult to find or even discontinued. I've just noticed an amazingly cheap t h o m a n n 8 string & wouldn't expect much of it at that price - but does anyone know if it's adequate at all? At that price I would imagine / hope that it would sound similar to a low to mid level Admiral solid top? And what about the workmanship? Is it well put together & finished? And most importantly is the intonation accurate?

https://www.t h o m a n n.de/gb/t h o m a n n_class ... string.htm

Or can anyone suggest an alternative under £1000 - and a reliable dealer? I'm not keen on buying on e - b a y / from China or USA etc only to get a big duty / V.A.T. bill. I also looked at the Ortega 8 string but it looks too "pop" guitar to me & internal pick up is not important to me.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Conall

Bax Burgess

Re: 8 string guitar on a budget

Post by Bax Burgess » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I bought the Ibanez Salvador 7, and I'm wondering and/or guessing if/that their bracing is similar. I found their bone saddle lacking in bass volume (I tune low to very low). I replaced it with micarta to very good result. I was initally using Galli Titanio Genius GR45 Normals, but overall the trebles were less than concert volume. I replaced those three strings with La Bella RN-M Rectified Nylon MT, and the volume increased very well, though, rectifieds have a chalky feel/sound as your fingers brush over them.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:00 am

I am also interested to hear anyone's opinions on the t h o m a n n 8 string if you have played it. It looks half decent. It has a solid top. I wonder what the sound is like?

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 am

In the European market you might want to consider a Salvador Cortez 8 string (a couple to choose from). They seem popular in Benelux/Italy and reasonably easy to get hold of in Scandinavia. Not sure on a UK dealer/distributor, but a search engine should tell you quickly.

I have a Salvador Cortez CC-60 (6 string, cedar top) and am reasonably happy considering it’s price.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 am

I note the Ibanez 8 string seems to be discontinued. I haven't heard of the Salvador Cortez so will check that out (thanks joachim33). I see Ortega 8 strings being advertised - anyone any experience of these? I must admit I don't much like the look of them & I don't need cutaways or pickups but I guess I might tolerate those if the sound was OK. My main interest with these guitars is to play Bach, other Baroque, Renaissance, cello works & my own transcriptions & arrangements.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Hello,

I play an Orfea 8 string and must say it's an incredible value for the price. It's a chineese-made instrument but the brand is german with high standards. The building is flawless, the gear tuners are upper-class and the built in truss-rod results in a neck perfetcly set-up, without any wolf tones. The best point is the intonation : I never played any guitar, be it very expensive, that came close to this one for the intonation. Last but not least, the 640 mm scale length compensates for the wider neck and makes the left hand stretches very easy.

If you tune the lowest string down to A, you can virtually play 3 centuries of lute music, including the archlute repertoire. A stunning instrument at such a low price tag.
Hope this helps,
regards,

Gilles

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Gilles, will check out the Ordeal!

Conall

Post by Conall » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm

I meant Orfea (darn predictive text!).

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Just missed out on an Orfea 8 string sold in Kent, S. England!
Anyone hear of budget / 2nd hand 8 string guitars do tell!

I looked up the Salvador Cortez - joachim33 - but it isn't easily available in Britain as far as I can see.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Conall wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm
Just missed out on an Orfea 8 string sold in Kent, S. England!
Anyone hear of budget / 2nd hand 8 string guitars do tell!

I looked up the Salvador Cortez - joachim33 - but it isn't easily available in Britain as far as I can see.
While Britain is still part of the EU, it shouldn't be difficult to order from e.g. the Netherlands, which is were their main site is.

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes, you'd think so Joachim but the links from the Salvador Cortez site only list distributors not shops where they have them in stock. I will investigate further!

richard3

Post by richard3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:38 pm

gilles T wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 pm
Hello,

I play an Orfea 8 string and must say it's an incredible value for the price. It's a chineese-made instrument but the brand is german with high standards. The building is flawless, the gear tuners are upper-class and the built in truss-rod results in a neck perfetcly set-up, without any wolf tones. The best point is the intonation : I never played any guitar, be it very expensive, that came close to this one for the intonation. Last but not least, the 640 mm scale length compensates for the wider neck and makes the left hand stretches very easy.

If you tune the lowest string down to A, you can virtually play 3 centuries of lute music, including the archlute repertoire. A stunning instrument at such a low price tag.
Hope this helps,
regards,

Gilles
That was exactly my experience with my Orfea 8-string. I bought it to find out if I could manage an 8 stringer without spending a lot of money, and the answer is yes, I can play 8 strings!
But frankly the Orfea wasnt in the league of my other guitars - I am spoiled- so I sold it with the intention to buy a great 8-string guitar once , but this has happened not yet.
Jose Luis Romanillos 1988, Matthias Dammann 1994, Gernot Wagner 2009, Teodoro Perez Flamenca 2015, Kim Lissarrague 2017

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Conall wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm
Yes, you'd think so Joachim but the links from the Salvador Cortez site only list distributors not shops where they have them in stock. I will investigate further!
Try this: https://www.themusicalliance.co.uk/en/p ... eluxe-case

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes thanks I saw that Joachim. Now I need a UK shop who will deliver it to North Scotland & take it back if I'm not satisfied! You say you are only "reasonably happy" with your Sal-Cor 6 string? How does it compare with good Spanish made classicals of similar price? Why are you only "reasonably" happy? I know we need to take price bracket into account when we make value judgement. My cheap Yamaha "teaching" guitar is nowhere near as good as my George Lowden but then it cost a tenth of the price of the G.L.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Conall wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm
Yes thanks I saw that Joachim. Now I need a UK shop who will deliver it to North Scotland & take it back if I'm not satisfied! You say you are only "reasonably happy" with your Sal-Cor 6 string? How does it compare with good Spanish made classicals of similar price? Why are you only "reasonably" happy? I know we need to take price bracket into account when we make value judgement. My cheap Yamaha "teaching" guitar is nowhere near as good as my George Lowden but then it cost a tenth of the price of the G.L.
When I bought it, I played it and the 50CC against an Alhambra 3C and 4P. I want into the shop with an Alhambra 1c, 2c or 3c in mind. Both Salvador Cortez guitars were clearly superior than the 3C but I liked the 4P better. The 4P was then outside the budget I had set for myself, while the 60CC was just inside the budget (considering it comes with a matching hard case - I have small children, so a soft case isn't an option). The 3C was cheaper than the 60CC. I wasn't then sure I would stick with guitar playing. From how things worked out, I should have gotten the 4P or an even better guitar (e.g Esteve 7 model), but then I didn't know and buying something expensive to dip the waters in not on in my view.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”