When to buy a new model (Ramirez Studio 3)?

safesphere

When to buy a new model (Ramirez Studio 3)?

Post by safesphere » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm

When a guitar making company, such as Jose Ramirez, releases a renewed model, there may be different ways of thinking on the best time to buy it:

1. The company wants to establish the new model as a success from the start and pays a meticulous attention to the quality control and sound characteristics of the new guitars in the first shipment. Thus the best time to get a quality instrument is right away upon the release.

2. The production of the new model may have not been perfected yet resulting in quality and sound compromises here and there. Thus the best approach is to avoid the first shipments.

3. There is no difference. The new model goes into production once the production process is finalized and fine tuned. The quality and sound in the first shipment is the same as in later shipments.

I am particularly interested in the new Ramirez Studio 3 that this year has replaced the 4NE model. I realize that the Studio guitars are outsourced and that the changes are mostly cosmetic, but I wonder what the opinions are on which point above is closer to reality, 1, 2, or 3.

Gary Macleod

Re: When to buy a new model (Ramirez Studio 3)?

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Why do you say the change is mostly cosmetic? Ramirez say they’ve improved the sound , you’re buying a Ramirez because you trust the reputation so why not trust this improved sound ?

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

I have a very early number of the 130Anos and it is very good with no defects that I can find. I think the early models are likely to be checked over very carefully to make sure the guitar is being built to specifications with no issues. I didn't buy it because it was cedar, but I remember playing, if memory serves me, #2 or #3 of the 130Anos guitars. I ended up buying #17 (which is spruce). So, I think the first 10 or so might have been Cedar and the next batch was Spruce. I played a bunch of those early models to pick my guitar. I don't remember all the numbers.

Just my opinion! When you get a Studio 3, let us know how it is! I am interested in it too. Given that I already have a 4NE, I am unlikely to purchase one. But, I want to know if/what are the changes. I still doubt they changed much.

From what I have heard, the 4NE's were built in small batches of 6 to 12 guitars by a team of luthiers. I am fairly certain the Studio 3 guitars will continue along this way.

So, I say go for it whenever you are ready.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

safesphere

Post by safesphere » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:04 pm
Why do you say the change is mostly cosmetic? Ramirez say they’ve improved the sound , you’re buying a Ramirez because you trust the reputation so why not trust this improved sound ?
I am going blindly for the the new model instead of the 4NE based on trust. I've talked to someone who had compared the Studio 3 to 4NE and couldn't find any obvious differences except for the cosmetics. He's said, the sides and back on the new model are not as dark as on the 4NE and more highlight the beauty of the rosewood. There are no red rings or lines, he said the new design was visually more impressive and not as reddish as the 4NE. The third string is carbon fiber, the rest are nylon.

safesphere

Post by safesphere » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm
I have a very early number of the 130Anos and it is very good with no defects that I can find. I think the early models are likely to be checked over very carefully to make sure the guitar is being built to specifications with no issues.
Thanks Martin, this is very helpful!

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Good luck with your new guitar, I had a 4e and found it as good as if not better than the two 1a s I played.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”