Elevated fretboard, fretted dots

Lsulit

Elevated fretboard, fretted dots

Post by Lsulit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm

So I'm having a luthier made guitar from one of the great luthiers on here and of course there are several options. Wondering if people could chime in on pros/cons of:

elevated fretboard, worth the extra money or gimmick

fretted dots, why not?

celestemcc

Re: Elevated fretboard, fretted dots

Post by celestemcc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

I have one and like it: easier access to the higher frets.

What are fretted dots? Do you mean dots as fret markers?
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Lsulit

Post by Lsulit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

yes...my bad. lol

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 pm

I like the elevated fretboard. Interesting though, it changes your view of the frets around the 12th fret junction. I get messed up from the different perspective when trying to find spots for harmomics. Just takes getting use to, and maybe some stick on dots above the 12th. I had not read about this before until just recently.

A dot at the 7th fret should suffice otherwise.

I am having an arm rest attached by magnets installed on my Solidarity due to issues with tendons in my right arm.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

fraim

Post by fraim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm

is it a barnett rest or is steve adding it?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 am

Both very personal things.

I dislike raised finger boards with a passion - I get no benefit, occasionally get disoriented by the visual change of the body/neck interface and don’t like the aesthetics.

Dots: a like one subtle (say 2mm) 7th fret dot.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 am

fraim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm
Not a support. An arm rest. He fabricated some prototypes from rosewood. It will attach using magnets inside the guitar and along the inside of the rest. Attached to the lower bout where your right arm rests. I use an Ergoplay or a D’Oro guitar support. I can report no impact from suction cups on Steve’s fp finish.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Bax Burgess

Post by Bax Burgess » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 am

Raised fretboard: when my wrist and fingers hook around for the higher notes, I find myself hooking even more with the higher board, unless I adjust how I hold the guitar. All in all, I wonder at the benefit.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am

Ah, a couple of real hot button issues! I have a Hill with a raised fretboard, and I really like it. I also have a cutaway, and I think I like that a little better. There have been many threads here on the subject of fret dots. Some have implied that using them makes you less of a player. I say do whatever you need to make things easier on yourself. I think John Williams said much the same thing.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

fraim

Post by fraim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 am
fraim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm
Not a support. An arm rest. He fabricated some prototypes from rosewood. It will attach using magnets inside the guitar and along the inside of the rest. Attached to the lower bout where your right arm rests. I use an Ergoplay or a D’Oro guitar support. I can report no impact from suction cups on Steve’s fp finish.
yep, understood. i have an arm rest on one of my guitars that kris barnett made for me...also using magnets. it's effective but a bit clunky & so am interested in what steve has in mind. i'd like an armrest for my ganz but don't want to compromise the aesthetics of my sexy "sombrio".
i also use an ergoplay support & was concerned about what the suction cups might do to the french polish finish. but to date...no issues.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am

Owned one guitar with a raised fretboard and disliked it immensely. If you’ve never used one be prepared for a visual change above the 12th fret. I could not get used to it.
A 7th fret Dot is very nice. I like brass or gold.
Hauser III 2014!

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I'd go with fret markers and a cutaway rather than an elevated fretboard.

That said, my nicest guitar has neither of those features.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Elevated fingerboard - Personally it didn't mess me up at all with locating the 12th fret and it did give some minimal benefit in accessing the upper registers. There are some players who swear by them and wouldn't buy a guitar without it (Bradford Werner comes to mind). I could live with or without it, but if the additional cost was minimal I'd definitely go for it. Many luthiers now include it as standard at no additional cost.

Fret markers - A highly personal matter. The last two guitars I've owned had no fret markers, and I think it has helped me to navigate the fingerboard without relying on them. If I were to get a guitar with a fretmarker, one at the 7th fret would be the most I'd go if I wanted that extra security.

In having a guitar built for you, you should also look into nut width, string spacing, scale length, action height, tuning machines, neck profile, neck thickness, type of fret wire, 12 vs 6 hole tie block, sound port, etc. Of course this depends largely on the flexibility of the luthier. But if you're going to have a guitar custom made, might as well get it really fine tuned to your liking.
Last edited by souldier on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I assume that building an elevated fingerboard requires adjusting the body dimensions, as in the depth of the upper bout, etc. Can anyone comment on the effects on the sound of the guitar? Sustain...projection...?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I like a scoop cutaway. I've used it on steel strings, and plan to put one on my next personal CG, probably a smaller one than what's usually seen. It doesn't seem to interfere with knowing where the 12th fret is, since it's only on the treble side, and can have a minimum impact on the air volume.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”