Opinions Wanted- Ramirez 1a

Gil_Wade

Re: Opinions Wanted- Ramirez 1a

Post by Gil_Wade » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Consiliere wrote:I have just received my 1972 Ramirez 1a Cedar/Brazilian bought on e-b-a-y. My first impression is that I have never heard such sustain and separation. The second is that I will have to struggle with that 664 mm scale length and that 54 mm nut width.
The 1972 Contreras listed in your signature line should be long-scale also. Is it? Also, check the string height at 12th fret.
Gil ( o )===:::

Gilbert Wade, Certified Music Practitioner

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be silent if no bird sang except the best." Anonymous

"I get a lot of requests...but I play anyway." from a cartoon

cediendo

Post by cediendo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm

I Have a Ramirez 1A Model from 1982. Cedar top and Indian Rosewood back and sides and long scale length. Like all guitars from any maker they all vary in quality and playability. It is worth bearing in mind that the Ramirez workshops trained many of the Luthiers who matured in to master builders and eventually set up their own workshops i.e Contreras, Bernabe, Manzanero and many others worked for Ramirez. A Ramirez Model 1A could be constructed by any of these makers. At one time the maker used to stamp his initial on the heel block inside the guitar but this practice was eventually stopped. Many of the hifh quality instruments can be found from the late 1960's to the mid 1980's. The best advice is try before you buy and compare if possible a number of instruments

MikFik

Post by MikFik » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:46 am

I love these guitars - I hate these guitars. The Spanish are a very passionate people and their guitars resemble the luthiers who build them. These masters get old and new apprentices take their place and my view is that 21st century man is simply LESS passionate because the world we live in is more commercial. The truely great masterpieces from Ramirez were built quite a few years ago and sometimes one will show up. It's worth waiting for. A bad Ramirez is one of the most frustrating guitars there is to play. A good one is bliss. Good luck with yours.

Consiliere

Post by Consiliere » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:44 pm

My Contreras just came back home from my luthier friend after some superficial refurbishing and set up. It is from 1971 (as I lately realised) and the scale length is 660 mm. You are probably right txclassplayer, since I have measured the action and it is significantly higher than on the Contreras. Now the Ramirez will see the luthier's workshop.

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:15 am

jdhunt wrote:A '58 Corvette is the one to have. (sorry, couldn't resist)
I would go for a Porsche of the same year. :lol:

DanRock101

Post by DanRock101 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I disagree.... it's not like many car owners don't own more than one Porsche or one Mustang....

Are you saying there's a guitar player out there saying they've only owned ONE guitar in their lifetime and they out in the world defending their purchase as being the best?!?

I own several nylon strings now and in the past. I can share my experience about what I love and hate about them.

I think this topic is about those sharing their experience about owning/playing Ramirez guitars. Have I owned one? No. Have I played many? Yes. Would I want to have owned one? Yes, but they were out of my price range at the time. I can now afford one and am looking to buy one and looked on the CGD website for info.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

By the way, everything I own is the best and everything I don't, sucks and everyone else's opinion is dumb. <<<<< Man I sound like Trump!
sandollars wrote:
Sun May 11, 2008 3:44 pm
I think this is like a guy coming in to a car forum and asking what year of Corvette he should buy.

The guy with the 56 will tell you it's the best.

The guy with the '04 will tell you the same.

And so on.

The Porsche guy will tell you to buy a Porsche

The Viper guy, a Viper.

Bottom line is any year Ramirez 1a is a fine guitar, among the best guitars in the world and surely in the top 5 most renowned, and if you can find one used for under 6k that SINGS to you, you will NEVER lose your money if, later, you decide she isn't for you.

It's like money in the bank.

JMHO :wink:
2009 Robert Garcia, Cordoba RCWE, Andulsian Francisco Simplicio 1929
AER Compact 60, Mackie Freeplay
MacBookPro 9.1, MacPro1.1 & 3.1, Logic 9 & X, ProTools9, Finale 2014 & Encore 3.1
Metric Halo ULN8

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:46 pm

If it sounds sweet and you can play it go for it. Look for the neck issues and any potential setup issues. If you need more saddle to shave but don't have it, then pass on it.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm not sure why someone resurrected a very old thread!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Thread necromancy?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:52 am

Must be the Porsche vs Corvette argument. I am amazed it took a year and a half to follow up the post in 2016 after 8 years of lying dormant.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Keith wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:52 am
Must be the Porsche vs Corvette argument. I am amazed it took a year and a half to follow up the post in 2016 after 8 years of lying dormant.
There's a Porsche v Corvette argument??? Surely only in the USA!! :lol:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 pm

I'd take either to suit my mood. When I feel cocky, am arrogant, and an overall Ricardo Cabeza, I would drive the Corvette. When I loose my health insurance, am feeling more refined, and want to pick up a higher class of female hitch hiker, give me the Porsche:D

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”