Opinions Wanted- Ramirez 1a

Laudiesdad69

Re: Opinions Wanted- Ramirez 1a

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Played a 67 at my friend's shop some months back. It had a Leaf case, which didn't seal well. It was stored in a high humidity environment. The case interior was deteriorating, and the guitar had some nice green mold inside. The top was quite domed, and the action was quite high. Needless to say it wasn't for me. Didn't sound particularly good either. And the previous owner had drilled an off center hole in the side of the fingerboard, and put a diamond in the hole for a fret marker. The diamond wasn't even real. But he managed to sell it to a collector for 6 grand. It still had the Sherry Brenner Segovia model sticker inside.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:39 am

You need to pay particular attention to string scale on the 1a Ramirez IIIs-- they made both a 664mm (which Segovia liked) with a high action, and a normal 650mm scale. I'd avoid the 664mm unless you have big, strong hands.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Gil_Wade wrote:
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:47 pm
My teacher equates the older long-scale Ramirez's to a formula one race car ... it is a specialized instrument built for a specialized purpose. If you choose to drive it on the highway during your daily commute you will get hard-to-use steering, poor gas milage and few comforts. If you are in a race approaching 200 mph then you want the tight steering and the other stuff that is a detriment on the highway.

If you want a "pretty" guitar, don't get the Ramirez (Jose Ramirez III would send you to a furniture store).
I think the race car analogy is right on for the older 664mm Ramirez.

I also think the 1a is a lovely guitar. The orange color of the cedar models may not be to everyone's taste, but I find the rosettes and the headstock shape really tasteful and beautiful.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm

John Stone wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:48 pm
Gil_Wade wrote:
My teacher equates the older long-scale Ramirez's to a formula one race car ... it is a specialized instrument built for a specialized purpose. If you choose to drive it on the highway during your daily commute you will get hard-to-use steering, poor gas milage and few comforts. If you are in a race approaching 200 mph then you want the tight steering and the other stuff that is a detriment on the highway.

If you want a "pretty" guitar, don't get the Ramirez (Jose Ramirez III would send you to a furniture store).

I also think the 1a is a lovely guitar. The orange color of the cedar models may not be to everyone's taste, but I find the rosettes and the headstock shape really tasteful and beautiful.
The race car analogy may not be right to apply here.... Because most of the race cars are also pretty car :lol:

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm
John Stone wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:48 pm
Gil_Wade wrote:

The race car analogy may not be right to apply here.... Because most of the race cars are also pretty car :lol:
Maybe in Formula 1 land - but not Nascar :-)

dave
nascar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”