Has anyone heard of Kremona Classical guitars?

10ae1203

Re: Has anyone heard of Kremona Classical guitars?

Postby 10ae1203 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

I went a-playing guitars today, and found one of these Fiestas.

Very nice for $800. Pretty good machines, not such a thick finish as some of the other offerings in the same price range, and a nice sustain.

I also played their $500 guitar, which had nasty cheap machines and splinters in the soundhole, so I'm thinking the Orpheans from Kremona don't have a stone cold mortal lock on all things student guitar.

So ymmv, I suppose.

pasigenyo

Postby pasigenyo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:29 pm

It took me a while to save up but I finally bought a Kremona Fiesta FC from GC last week.
However, they only gave me a loaner guitar while I'm waiting for the new one to be delivered.
The feedback on this thread are quite accurate.
I have an Antonio Loriente Angela which I compared it with before I bought the Fiesta. The fiesta has very different tonal characteristics (which I like) and I'm loving it as I practice with it daily. I believe the guitar has a lot to offer and that the sound will open up as I continue to use it.

Thanks,

Raffy
http://www.youtube.com/user/pasigenyo
Last edited by pasigenyo on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimmyb

Postby jimmyb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 am

I have a Kremona Fandango FG630CW. This is Kremona's "crossover" with a 630mm scale, 48mm nut and a radius on the fingerboard. I like the guitar a good deal, it plays nicely, tonally is very good, and very nicely built.

"Solace" by Scott Joplin, recorded on my Kremona. This is the main theme of the tune, this will give you some feel for the way Kremonas sound, the guitar is plugged in to a Genz Benz Shenendoah 150, the Fishman onboard system is using all mic and NO pickup. The guitar/amp are not plugged in to the video camera (Zoom Q2HD), what you are hearing is the guitar and amp being picked up by the Zoom's stereo microphones. You are hearing mostly the guitar itself, with a little "special enhancement" (aka reverb) provided by the amp

This tune is PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Jimmy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWLH6a2W4wM

pasigenyo

Postby pasigenyo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Just picked up my new Kremona Fiest FC at GC last Friday and recorded some samples.

Youtube

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm

10ae1203 wrote:I went a-playing guitars today, and found one of these Fiestas.

Very nice for $800. Pretty good machines, not such a thick finish as some of the other offerings in the same price range, and a nice sustain.

I also played their $500 guitar, which had nasty cheap machines and splinters in the soundhole, so I'm thinking the Orpheans from Kremona don't have a stone cold mortal lock on all things student guitar.

So ymmv, I suppose.

I don't know of any $500. range guitar that has a "stone cold mortal lock" on all things student guitars. The very heavily advertised "Cordobas" are one that comes to mind. Not two identical models are alike in sound and playability. You must try any instrument before buying - this is of particular importance in the $500. price range.

pmrlo

Postby pmrlo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Pasygenyo,

Sounds good.
Could you tell me the name of the pice you're playing around 1:20?

pasigenyo

Postby pasigenyo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:11 am

pmrlo,

That was Torija by Torroba.

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 am

Has anyone played one of those laminated b/s Fiestas?

Everyone seems to be selling all solid Kremona guitars.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:03 pm

I must admit, I have played the Orpheus Valley line in GC against the Cordoba's and Rodriguez' that they carry, and they have always beat them out. I'm not really interested in that sub $1000 range though. Has anyone played their higher-end models? This is the Tangra...looks like it's seeling new on amazon for about $1800. And they have another called the 90th anniversary that is western red cedar with balsa/carbon fiber bracing...enticing!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

CT20

Postby CT20 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm

I have a Kremona Romida that is very good. They go for 1000-1200 new, so it's their lower upper. Solid spruce top and solid EIRW back and sides. I bought it to use for the 6 months when the main guitar was being repaired. Still use it occasionally for travel. My repair person was very impressed that the Kremona was virtually as good as the guitar he used as a classical guitar student in college during the early 80's that cost $3500 back then.

davarro

Postby davarro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Agree with your observations. The Fiestas I've played sounded really good. In the same range, the Cordoba's also impress. IMO, Cordoba and Kremona do a great job and offer a lot of value. At least in Cordoba's case, they also smartly fit their guitars with decent strings (Savarez HT new crystals) which I think bring out the best especially when A/B'ing with other guitars with traditional nylon string formulations.

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Yes I own and play the Orpheus Valley (Kremona) model Rondo RS which is also a solid wood all over instrument and found it an excellent value for the under $1000. tier Classical Guitars market. Beautiful sound and craftmanship that to my ears sound as good as many other makes in the 1.K to 1.5k price range.

madhatter

Postby madhatter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 pm

I went to Guitar Center and played all the classicals they had below $1100. Frankly, I wasn't impressed with any of them. I took along and old Guild Madeira with lam. cedar a+ lam rosewood back/sides because it needs to have the bridge glued and I wanted an estimate. So I compared the guitars directly with the old Guild.

My findings were:
1) The action on all of the guitars was way too high ... hence they all needed adjustment.
2) The necks and neck angles as well as overall construction "looked" very good
3) All of the guitars were very well finished and the woods appeared very pleasing to the eye
4) But none of them came close to the tonal balance and richness of the Guild. They were really quite thin sounding. And dare I say it, sounded cheap.

I also have a Hernandis Grade 1 that I like a lot (much better than the Guild).

The Kremona Solea was a very nice sounding guitar, but outside the range I was interested in spending (under $1K)

ghitarist

Postby ghitarist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi guys.

I have read the thread before buying my Kremona Fiesta FC (Cedar). I also own an Alhambra 4p (Cedar).
In direct A/B comparison, I am very disappointed of Kremona sound.

Kremona win vs Alhambra 4p :
+Great built quality. Much, much better then Alhambra 4p. That's what our local luthier told
+Great finish and detail. Fiesta is a better looking guitar.
+Beautiful rosewood sides and back
+An immediate upgrade in overall volume (30% louder then Alhambra 4P)

Kremona lose vs Alhambra 4p :
- very hard to play (straight from the box)
- poor tone calibration. Hard to pick strings to tame (rich) bass and open up (dull) treble.
- cheap sounding high trebles (everything above E)
- muddier sound, worse note separation
- lacks punch. Kremona attack and decay is slower then Alhambra's

First of all, Fiesta FC is a hard to play guitar with an unusually high action. I've sent it to a local music atelier. The luthier ended up lowering the saddle by 4 mm (which is very much) until it became alhambra-like playable.

Next problem - tonal balance. Guys, this instrument is so much unbalanced tonally, how could nobody notice the thunderous bass contrast with the much lower in volume treble notes ?!

Third problem. Treble from E and up lose their reverb and sustain quality dramatically. This kind of degradation is quite frustrating, considering the price of the instrument. I had to pick up so many strings until I "fixed" G and B volume issue using carbon Oasis GPX Normal, famous for their bell like treble and lower in volume basses. Oasis GPX cured the tonal problem - not the treble sustain issue. Everything from E string and up sounds like a cheap laminate top. No matter what strings are used. I constantly fail to enjoy the treble part no matter what I played. No such problem on Alhambra and Cordoba C5 I recently tried.

My Kremona FC acts like a crazy muscle car with an insane horse power but a very low control and comfort in it.
Guys, this is a 1000$ guitar, on current market price. There are so many massive wood options in this price range that this Fiesta FC should never leave the border of it's native country.
Last edited by ghitarist on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi ghitarist. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”