Just purchased a GV Rubio Estudio with spruce top

Rich_Carulli

Just purchased a GV Rubio Estudio with spruce top

Postby Rich_Carulli » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

I visited Guitars International this week in Cleveland and got to play both the cedar top and spruce top GV Rubio Estudio models. While the cedar top was very playable and sounded very the nice, when I started playing the spruce top I was blown away by the tone, the sustain, the loudness (and softness), and the playability (great action and spot-on intonation). My current CG is a no-name/Sherry-Brener laminated top cheapo, with what I "thought" was great tone. Boy, was I ever surprised. My first time getting to play a solid wood guitar. Armin Kelly left me alone to play both so I could decide if I wanted to purchase one. Armin was very knowledgeable and helpful with the whole transaction. I couldn't get enough of playing the spruce top. And it is a very beautiful guitar. I am one very satisfied and happy camper!

I will try post some pics and sound files this weekend when I get the guitar home.

Rich

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Estudio model with spruce top

Kent

Re: Just purchased a GV Rubio Estudio with spruce top

Postby Kent » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Rich,
I like happy stories!
Play on my friend.
Kent

jdart3000

Postby jdart3000 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello -

I bought the exact same guitar about 7 months ago and I completely agree with your description of its fine qualities. I like to describe the sound as "refined."

Play it often and smile . . .
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 pm

That's great. New guitar - new lease of life. I hope you enjoy playing it for a long time.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Nicostratus

Postby Nicostratus » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:09 am

Hi Rich,

I also have a German Vazquez Rubio Estudio with a spruce top. While the tone is exceptional for the price, I have found that the action is rather high, making it difficult to play barre chords above the fifth fret. On mine, there is a 1/4" of space between the twelfth fret and the E 6th string. I am wondering how the action has been for you now that you have had it for several years.

Nicostratus

hesson11

Postby hesson11 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:47 am

Nicostratus wrote:Hi Rich,

I also have a German Vazquez Rubio Estudio with a spruce top. While the tone is exceptional for the price, I have found that the action is rather high, making it difficult to play barre chords above the fifth fret. On mine, there is a 1/4" of space between the twelfth fret and the E 6th string. I am wondering how the action has been for you now that you have had it for several years.

Nicostratus

A quarter-inch is almost insanely high! You know that can be adjusted, right? (Assuming there is nothing seriously wrong with the guitar, which given the maker, I would doubt.)
-Bob

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Congrats! I have an 18 year old cedar top GVR Estudio that I bought at a bargain on Craigslist. A wonderful guitar. I would really like to play a Spruce top one to hear the differences.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”