Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

robbyguitar

Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Post by robbyguitar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm

I am having trouble deciding which top to go for. I have been reading on the perceived differences in tone..etc from spruce or cedar but I wanted to ask the players around here what they choose and why they choose it. To note, I did some searching here but didn't really find the information I was after. I do understand that for the most part it is just an individual preference and a subjective question but I thought this would make for an insteresting dicussion.

So, Do you prefer spruce or cedar and why?

Kent

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Post by Kent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

robbyguitar,
I have a unique perspective.
For 25 years I played Cedar only. Preferred the look and just got comfortable with my choice. Owned a few high end models.
A couple of years ago, for the first time, I decided to explore Spruce. Purchased a modestly priced guitar, and once it open up, it produced sound I never thought a guitar in my hands could produce! The response is better. The hard to pronounce harmonics are better. I am sold! Spruce, Spruce, Spruce and then Cedar.
They both have there place, and a lot depends on your individual expectations. You certainly must play your potential guitar.
Have fun looking.
Kent

Renlab

Post by Renlab » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Kent wrote:robbyguitar,
I have a unique perspective.
For 25 years I played Cedar only. Preferred the look and just got comfortable with my choice. Owned a few high end models.
A couple of years ago, for the first time, I decided to explore Spruce. Purchased a modestly priced guitar, and once it open up, it produced sound I never thought a guitar in my hands could produce! The response is better. The hard to pronounce harmonics are better. I am sold! Spruce, Spruce, Spruce and then Cedar.
They both have there place, and a lot depends on your individual expectations. You certainly must play your potential guitar.
Have fun looking.
Kent
Oh my...that sounds real exciting. I have 3 cedar top guitars currently. And I am having a Spruce top guitar luthier build at the moment. Unfortunately I will have to wait 5 months for it to be ready. Can't hardly wait now.

robbyguitar

Post by robbyguitar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 pm

From what I have heard online...which is not the best. I like the sound of both but I think Spruce might be the one for me but I have to try out both.

I read that traditionally, classicals were made from Cedar and making them from Spruce is a modern idea. Is this true?

PAN A575

Post by PAN A575 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:38 pm

I want to experience what Kent has experienced. So in twenty-five years time, my next CG will be a spruce top. :)

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm

robbyguitar wrote:......

I read that traditionally, classicals were made from Cedar and making them from Spruce is a modern idea. Is this true?
I suspect that the reverse is true!
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

robbyguitar

Post by robbyguitar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm

George Crocket wrote:

Perhaps, I am mixing up the information?
I have been reading and trying to absorb a great deal of history, facts..etc.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm

robbyguitar wrote: I have been reading on the perceived differences in tone..etc from spruce or cedar
While in general I would say reading is a very good occupation, it this instance it is a waste of time.
What you need to do is "listen". :mrgreen:

Go and play as many cedar/spruce guitars as you can lay your hands on and see what You like, not what people here like. If you are interested in music, then you must make friends your ears. Trust your ears.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 pm

George Crocket wrote:

Absolutely. Cedar in classicals was apparently introduced after WWII due to lack of material availability in Spain from traditional sources.

dandan

Post by dandan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Thought I'd add my opinion for what its worth. Personally i prefer cedar. I play a cedar top Asturias John Mills model. I have limited experience of spruce tops but i have found the ones i have played to feel impersonal somehow. It almost feels as though someone else is playing. This may be because i have only played new spruce top guitars as i have heard that they take a lot longer to play in. I love the feel and sound of cedar so much never really felt the need to explore spruce further. The sound of cedar is so warm and the feel is so personal that its ideal for the romantic music I most love to play. I'm always surprised that so many people prefer spruce as I think I am in the minority, but i guess its down to personal taste.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

bernie2

Post by bernie2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Hello Robbyguitar.

I wish you can hear what Miles from Kent guitars says about it - there is some kind of video available on the web. I enjoyed listening to it. It made things quite clearer for me. I'll try to send you a thread if I can find it back.
It's an interesting topic anyway...
Cheers, Bernie.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & why?

Post by tom0311 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 pm

I have 2 cedar tops. When I went to classical guitars plus to get my camps m14, Nicholas who works there said he has a theory that younger ears prefer cedar and older ears prefer spruce. Cedar to me sounded nicer from new, and the sound of them is more rounded and warm in my opinion. More romantic and full bodied, sweet sounding and very personal - like you can do a lot with it.

I want a spruce next though, as I want to experience what it's like when they 'open up' and I think they look better. Eg the cordoba c10 I think is a gorgeous looking guitar. Also I want to see what all the fuss is about to be honest.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:59 pm

I own two luthier guitars, a spruce and a cedar top. I play my spruce top guitar every day. There is nothing wrong with my cedar top guitar, but I prefer the sound of spruce.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

browerpower

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & why?

Post by browerpower » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:14 pm

I guess this means I have old ears :-?:grin: love me a sprucey

robbyguitar

Post by robbyguitar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am

Trouble is locally, there isn't much of aselction of guitars so Iam stuck comparing Spruce to Cedar using what ever poor quality video the net has to offer.
I think what I am going to have to do is go to a larger city and see what I can find there for comparison.

I was just interested in opinions and though it wouldmake a good discussion.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”