Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

jeff_hatcher

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Post by jeff_hatcher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm

robbyguitar wrote:Interesting that you would mention that model as the Cordoba C9 is the guitar I have been considering latley. As for my thoughts right now, I think Spruce might be for me, just based one what I have heard on the net and the feedback and information I get butmy ears will have to make the final call if I can ever got to a shop where I can test out the two woods side by side on the same instrument.
I have the C9 spruce, and I think it's a great instrument for the money. Not a bad place to start.

I have a preference for spruce. To me, cedar is "forceful", brighter, louder, and faster. Spruce seems to be mellower, more complex, and more "musical".

I heard some amazing cedar tops though. The final sound of the instrument is more than a sum of its parts.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 pm

What you end up playing, matters too. I play mainly Latin/Spanish pieces with a couple of Bach. Cedar does the job better.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

nijikon5

Post by nijikon5 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 am

I think that this whole "Cedar is better suited for Spanish/Latin and Spruce for Baroque/Bach" is non-sense :roll:

Spruce playing Latin/Spanish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKpn3R4wsIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEXnuje7wyc

Cedar playing Bach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNEnzNHTkd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfxJ0lgKfJ0

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 am

Everyone is entitled to his opinion - right or wrong. But the way disagreement is expressed shows a lot about the upbringing and character of a person.

http://www.trilogyguitars.com/www2/cont ... -and-cedar

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/ ... c_gtr2.htm
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

nijikon5

Post by nijikon5 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 am

Right, because stating a comment that is an obvious opinion of yours and not fact "Cedar does the job better" as if it were fact is better than showing examples that Spruce and Cedar are both capable of all genres of music.

The reason I posted those youtube links was to demonstrate that each top wood has it's own beauty/voice and can just play any genre of classical just fine. To me, the world isn't so black or white, it's lots of colors in between the spectrum. Re-watch the Kent Classics video posted and re-read your 2nd link. Both Miles and Peter do state that it's a generalization and players can play any genre with either top wood just fine.

Also, it's not really necessary to post something along the lines of "But the way disagreement is expressed shows a lot about the upbringing and character of a person." as some kind of indirect insult. Did I insult you? No. I was just demonstrating how each top wood was capable of playing different genres of classical guitar beautifully.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 am

Precisely, the statement is a generalization.

OTOH, listening to videos is a matter of interpretation and who is to say whose interpretation is right.

There is no need to use coarse words when disagreeing. Funnily, coarse people when trying to defend the charge of coarseness, always end up strengthening the case of their adversary.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

nijikon5

Post by nijikon5 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 am

What you end up playing, matters too. I play mainly Latin/Spanish pieces with a couple of Bach. Cedar does the job better. <--- That statement is not a generalization. You should re-read it closely, it's pretty firm in the message it conveys.

I wasn't being "coarse", I was telling you that such an absolute statement about something that cannot be proven as fact is non-sense.

Somehow, this leads to your indirect insult questioning my character or upbringing. Seems legit.

Logic and reasoning follow a certain set of rules, but some people just want to make up any rules to deem their method of thinking correct.

If you feel that "Cedar does the job better" for a certain genre of classical guitar, than so be it. Don't force that belief on to everyone as it's fact.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35 am

Maybe it is a cultural difference - maybe certain words mean different things at different places.

But I am generally surprised that people who claim to be objective in their thinking, often hold the idea that spruce is the clear superior to any other tonewood. Old habits die hard?

Have a nice day.
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

petermc61

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & why?

Post by petermc61 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:38 am

Guys

This looks like a pretty minor disagreement over a very few perhaps (in hindsight) not too well chosen words. I think both posters could have been a little more careful.

Might we think carefully about whether it is escalated or perhaps diffused through some good natured comments and an appropriate emoticon it two? Just a suggestion... :-). :-)

Best wishes to you both,
Peter

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:23 am

To my ears, cedar sounds a bit hollow or lacking in mids, yet it often sounds warmer and more resonant than spruce. However, in the end, I prefer spruce's greater clarity and articulation. A fine spruce top often provides a wider range of tone color, too, in my opinion/experience.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm

As indicated in a previous post I have a preference for cedar. That does not mean that cedar is better than spruce it just means that those qualities that cedar produces appeal to me. I also prefer chevy to ford, chocolate to vanilla, brunettes to blondes (I should qualify this with a disclaimer. When I was young and single).
I recently heard a Jeff Medlin Houser, spruce. I liked the sound so much, I ordered one. That doesn't mean I've gone over to the light side, it just means that I liked the sound of that guitar. If we all liked the same things, we wouldn't have much to talk about and no opportunity to learn.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Tom wrote:I have both spruce and cedar guitars. Which one I play more? Hard to say, depending on the mood of the day.

Life sometime should be much more simple like the world of piano and violin. Violinist and pianist spending more time practicing their instruments than thinking of what top wood for their instrument.
You evidently have not read "Grand Obsession" by Perri Knize.
Perri case is the extreme side of the story. Under normal circumstance with majority population of guitarist and pianist, my argument still stand.

chelson

Post by chelson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Finally spent sometimes to sit down and enjoyed all the video links posted here. Really can't give any preference, despite spruce or cedar, just love them all!!! It's my wife who has her preference, not me. I want both, as long as they make beautiful sound.

Cheers!
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

robbyguitar

Post by robbyguitar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 pm

I think it wouldbe great to have one of each and use the one you feel fits the piece the best.
I don't have that luxary though so I will have to decide on one or the other wen I get some time to sit and play both.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 am

robbyguitar wrote:I think it wouldbe great to have one of each and use the one you feel fits the piece the best.
I don't have that luxary though so I will have to decide on one or the other wen I get some time to sit and play both.
Absolutely, plus a flamenco or 2.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”