Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Beowulf

Re: Spruce or Cedar, what do you like & - why?

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Bracing design and execution will also influence the clarity, projection and tonal character.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 am

Beowulf wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm
Bracing design and execution will also influence the clarity, projection and tonal character.
+1
If you have not read this article on bracing, you'd most likely enjoy it:
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/br ... l-guitars/

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am

dta721 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 am
+1
If you have not read this article on bracing, you'd most likely enjoy it:
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/br ... l-guitars/
Thanks...a very nice, informative article by Marcus Dominelli. If you go to the English section of orfeomagazine, there is also a good article on soundboards by Daniel Friederich...just look for the downloadable supplement to Issue #2.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Kenro

Post by Kenro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Personally I prefer spruce top more :) , for my taste cedar top sounds "dark", one day I tried a La Patrie Concert and when playing it I did not feel as much enjoyment as when I played Yamaha C40, which was interesting given the La Patrie Concert is an all - solid wood guitar in comparison to all - laminate C40. By the way I saw someone wrote that cedar top guitar tends to produce less squeak so I guess depending on the need (for example when someone wants to record a song), that person may find a cedar top guitar more desireable.
Check out my classical guitar arrangement for Schumann's Träumerei (in original key): https://youtu.be/n4QulIit2FU
Guitar: Alhambra 4PA

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am
... If you go to the English section of orfeomagazine, there is also a good article on soundboards by Daniel Friederich...just look for the downloadable supplement to Issue #2.
I found and downloaded the PDF document "The classical guitar soundboards and their bracing: The luthier´s dilemma - symmetry or asymmetry in the structural design of the soundboards", a paper from the Symposium "Acoustics and ancient instruments: construction, music and science"! Wow, even more enjoyable reading! Thanks :okok: !

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:24 pm

dta721 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 am
... If you go to the English section of orfeomagazine, there is also a good article on soundboards by Daniel Friederich...just look for the downloadable supplement to Issue #2.
I found and downloaded the PDF document "The classical guitar soundboards and their bracing: The luthier´s dilemma - symmetry or asymmetry in the structural design of the soundboards", a paper from the Symposium "Acoustics and ancient instruments: construction, music and science"! Wow, even more enjoyable reading! Thanks :okok: !
Great! :mrgreen:

P.S. Dominelli's reference to the "treble bar" used by José Ramirez III should include a nod to Santos Hernandez who introduced a downward slanting harmonic bar as early as 1923. This influenced both Fleta and José Ramirez III.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Neumsky wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:51 am
The Great Christopher Parkening prefers cedar. He say's in one of his methods...if I want the sound of spruce...I play closer to the bridge! :bravo:
It's really worth considering Parkening's point. I was a hard-core spruce guy until I discovered that I can get very spruce-like sounds out of my cedar Ramirez 1a by altering my attack on the guitar.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 pm

I have 4 Spruce top guitars, 3 Cedar top guitars and 1 double top guitar with lattice bracing.

When I play guitar, I will check the repertoire style first. Then I use close-fit guitar, the fittest. Sometimes the spruce, sometimes the cedar...

It is better that everyone has cedar top and spruce top with different styles: fan bracing, lattice bracing, double top, Torres, modern...
650: Otto Vowinkel, Cedar/BRW; Córdoba C9 A&B, Cedar/MH;
640: Juan Hernandez Torres, Spruce/IRW; Sweet Tone, Spruce/Lam. RW;
635: German V. Rubio, Spruce/MP; German V. Rubio, Spruce/PE;
630: Kenny Hill Performance, Double Top(Spruce/Cedar)/MP

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”