Vincent Tatay

paynej49

Vincent Tatay

Post by paynej49 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I am looking for any and all information on a Vincent Tatay guitar that I recently got from a friend.
There is some information out there, but it has mostly to do with a short history of the company. Not so much with the guitars themselves.
From the label it would appear that the guitar was made no earlier than 1950. There is a stamp at the top edge of the headstock which reads 775.
The guitar is in deplorable condition although not unrepairable.
We are trying to price it, although I don't expect the amount to exceed 50-100 dollars (if that) once it has been worked on.
Anyway, my friend need not worry about selling the instrument as I will give her at least 200.00 dollars. It is a Tatay after all and I feel that any guitar should recieve at least 125.00 dollars all the same.
So it is just a curiosity project and although the company turned out about 4,000 guitars a year people seem to get attached to their Tatays all the same and there just may be something about them after all.
Thankyou so much. I look foreward to hearing from anybody who might be able to lead me to a source where I can learn more about this instrument.

guitar56

Re: Vincent Tatay

Post by guitar56 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi... I own one of Vicente Tatay's guitars... I would take this guitar to a luthier and have them restore this guitar... although I have not seen the condition of this guitar you just bought post some pictures of the guitar... maybe someone else can identify the model and year... there are several different lables for these guitars... those of the master builder Vicente Tatay and bear his signature on the label, the Vicente Tatay label in color with a guitar and lute on the label, and his Hijos De Vicente Tatay labels... The guitars with the colored labels are anywhere from student models to mid level guitars... the professional concert models are those that bear Vicente's signature... I have one of these models in my possession. They are a very loud and powerful guitar, beautifully made... he was a master craftsman.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=80578

Vicente Tatay was a guitar maker in Valencia. Vicente established his workshop in 1889. It was like most workshops of the era with the father teaching and supervising his sons so that some day they could take over the family business. The family business soon began to grow, and they had to hire extra help to meet the demand. They slowly began to look for ways to increase their production by mechanizing some aspects of building. Thus, slowly but surely their workshop was transformed into a factory. The firm Vicente Tatay founded has grown into a major factory producing some 40,000 instruments a year. Vicente Tatay retired in 1942, and the firm was taken over by his sons José and Vicente Tatay Tomás who formed a company Hijos de Vicente Tatay.

Nick

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Thankyou very much! I'll see what I can do about posting pictures. Although I myself am incapable of doing so in one way or another, I'll try and find somebody who is.
As far as the label goes it is an Hijos De Vincente Tatay type which I believe were not used before 1950. How long after that I am not sure.
The instrument appears to be water-logged as if it were left in someone's cellar for years and collected all kinds of mildew. Which was cleaned off before selling the guitar to my friend, of course.
But there remains a sort of rippled, puddle effect on the back which should be a definite challenge to remedy cosmetically.
So what I am saying is that the guitar could possibly have been made sometime in the 1970s and just look as if it were constructed in the 1950s.
I showed my post to Joyce my friend yesterday and she said (without being coy) that she did not want to sell it. So we really are just taking up this investigation as a labour of love out of our own curiosity's sake. I'm sure any qualified luthier would say that a repair wouldn't be worth their time.
All the same I've been trying to get in touch with Alan Chapman (he's so much harder to contact these days than he used to be) just to see if he can tell me something about the guitar. I don't even want to bother Richard Brune who would definitely have volumes to say on Tatay.
Thankyou so much for your kind replies!

theknowle

Post by theknowle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:43 pm

I had one when I started playing in about 1964. I bought it in London from Ivor Mairants, who stocked a range of Tatays as student guitars. I remember it had a spruce top and mahogany back and sides. It was a wonderful instrument, easy to play and with a fine, balanced voice. I eventually sold it to a school friend in 1966.
If he is, by any chance, still a player and visits this forum, I should be very interested to hear from him - and find out what became of the instrument!

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm begining to get the impression that a certain fondness for a Tatay guitar grows on people over the years.
Wow! Ivor Mairants, London, 1964! It could just be that my Tatay is from that time.
It does not have a second harmonic bar below the soundhole. Just a straight foreward "Torres" type bracing pattern with seven fan struts. Maybe Tatay's "Flamenco" model? The term can be stretched to mean just about anything. Well, I'll be working on getting some pictures posted but it may be sometime. I'm not that computer literate or resourced which is why I will have to ask around to see if somebody will be able to do this for me.
Thankyou so much once again for all your replies and I hope that you enjoy your Tatays.
It may have been just a student guitar to some, but then Vincent Van Gogh painted with student grade oil paints all the same.

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Just last night I discovered the date July 1959 stamped on the bevel part of the foot of the neck block part of the Torres style neck in my guitar. I'm on my way to refresh my Tatay history and in the meantime could anybody shed some light on the guitars made during this time?

bear

Post by bear » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 am

I own a Vincent Tatay Tomas (son). The Zavaleta site has some bio info. There were some Tatay's made in N.Y. at the same time VTT was making them in Valencia.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:52 pm

Thankyou! That's a good place to start. I'll keep trying to narrow it down, but it looks like it was made in New York.

bear

Post by bear » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 pm

paynej49 wrote:Thankyou! That's a good place to start. I'll keep trying to narrow it down, but it looks like it was made in New York.
If you use a mirror and light, you might find the date it was made on the inside near the edge of the sound hole.

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:32 pm

The date was found on the foot inside the guitar. Yes, it was near the soundhole. The date was july 1957

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm

ooops. 1959

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:25 pm

In the seventies I used to frequent a little shop in the Belvedere Hotel in Manhattan called the Spanish Music Center, that just sold classical and flamenco guitar sheet music and method books. The owner, Gabriel Oller, had the greatest collection of that to be found anywhere. He would spend the whole day just sorting, organizing, and pricing.

His wife would sit in a corner in the back, furiously knitting faster than Madame La Farge. Vicente Tatay was her brother, and Gabriel had a little room in the back where he sold a handful of classical and flamenco guitars, all made by Vicente Tatay. I'm pretty sure these were made in Valencia.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

bear

Post by bear » Thu May 01, 2014 2:50 pm

All of the Tatay's that I've seen look remarkably similar. I've seen several different labels. There is a label on my guitar that says Valencia, I have seen an identical label that says New York.
I've read that the New York Tatay's have the date stamped inside (like mine) but my label says Valencia.
It is my understanding that all of the NY cg were luthier built and that the Valencia models went through a transition from those built by Vincent Tatay Senior (until 1942), then by his 2 sons Vincent Tatay Tomas and Jose' Tatay Tomas. At some point the Valencia shop evolved into a factory.
I believe a third son Andrew Tatay Tomas opened a shop (with his son) in New York (Long Island). This shop closed in 1996. So, the NY cg's were all luthier built and the Valencia guitars ??? depends on the date made.
What I said earlier, regarding the date stamp and almost identical labels raises a lot of other questions.

daveskye

Post by daveskye » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm

I have also just purchased a Vicente Tatay Tomas guitar. I don't think that it is a particularly good example. An interesting feature is the end of the fingerboard - with a single fret extension. I have attached photos of this, and the label. If anyone has any dating ideas, I would be grateful.
I have 2 other Tatays. One I bought in a junk shop in London for my wife. It is a lovely compact instrument, with a surprisingly rich tone.It has a scale length of 65cm. I have included a photo of this label - which is actually numbered (13). Any information would be appreciated. I also have a third Tatay, full size, which was my main guitar for many years until it was damaged. This is on my long list of "must-get-round-to"s, and is in my loft. I will send in a photo of it's label later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Tatay Label.jpg
My Tatay was built in October 1965.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”