Vincent Tatay

Dirck Nagy

Re: Vincent Tatay

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi all

Reviving this thread because I love this guitar…

Vincente Tatay, purchased by my grandfather in March 1953. I used to have the receipt too, but i threw it away, so i'm afraid i cant tell you purchase price or model #. I do know that it was not the "top of the line" but was second on the price list, at least from Tatay guitars offered by the Spanish Music Centre at that time.

I could not find any stamps or numbers engraved anywhere, inside or out, and the label is not signed.

It is a beautiful-sounding guitar, but it is a bit small: (49mm at the nut, 640 length) and just a little too delicate and quiet. I have used it for a few performances; sounded good when i played romantic period duets (e.g. Carulli op 34). Unfortunately, there are slight intonation problems in higher positions.

Cheers!
Dirck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

a human

Post by a human » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Long ago (1972) I picked up a Tatay with a label just like the no. 13 photo (including the number) in Madrid while backpacking through Europe. It is no longer in my possesion, but I think I paid $30 or $40 U.S. for it then. It wasn't especially fine, but it was fun to play.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

bear

Post by bear » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:21 am

Last night I took the Tatay out. I hadn't played it for awhile. Love the sound, hated the scale.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Wow! These are great pictures. Such an interesting guitar. I sometimes wonder if the Tatay with the "ladder" bracing was used as the model for the classical Mario Maccafferri guitar, which also uses ladder bracing. As if the Tatay was the "sound" that Maccafferri was after in an instrument. The Tatay that I have does not contain ladder bracing but more traditional fan bracing instead. I intend to refinish and repair this guitar from 1959 over the Winter. The golden colors of the woods in these pictures are just beautiful! They may be considered to be a "cheap" guitar, but I say cheap but good!

a human

Post by a human » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:25 pm

I just noticed I had already weighed in on this, so deleted.
The rest come and go.

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Weighed in on...not being an especially fine guitar, but fun to play?

a human

Post by a human » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 pm

That would be me. The one I had with the no.13 style label did not have especially fancy finishes or fine details, and eventually it developed soundboard cracks due to humidity issues in its living environs. It had a nice sound and was a long scale, so not an easy stretch. But, it was a fun guitar to fool around with. Long gone hopefully to where it is appreciated.
The rest come and go.

paynej49

Post by paynej49 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Yes, as I say I'm getting the impression that players can become very fond of their Tatays. It is a mistake to make too much of a Tatay guitar yet it must be said in the final analysis that there is just "something" about them. Whatever it is that draws people to them. And humidity issues! Ha!! My Tatay is stained with watermarks throughout and there are four cracks a millimeter wide stemming from the bottom of the soundhole to the end of the guitar. Probably as a result of having been left in somebody's cellar for decades. Also, there are two screws in the wings of the bridge which, although they were put there in the first place to anchor the bridge, in time only help to develope cracks in the soundboard. But I'm sure that the guitar is worth the effort I am undertaking in order to bring it back to life. After all, this Tatay is three months younger than I am!

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 pm

The information I have on the makers in Valencia is here:

http://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com/Guit ... -Valencia/
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

gercarthy

Post by gercarthy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:16 pm

hello - I have a Tatay bought in santa fe in 86 for 40 bucks at a garage sale! Lovely full sound. Gold label says Guitarras Espanoles New York and stamped on block inside Jan-1958. Altho at one time had to have the bridge reglued to fix intonation problems.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 am

Hi gercarthy. Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:24 pm

hi Moderators

something happened to my pictures! should i resubmit? (yes, i know i'm a little bit vain about this guitar…but i just love to look at pictures of it when i'm not able to play!)

It is odd how Tatays have such a dedicated fan base.
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:18 am

Hi again

I noticed that my pictures are still not showing up well, so i am reposting:

this guitar sounds so beautiful! If i had the money, i might have some work done on the intonation: maybe just a bridge reset, i dont think an entirely new fingerboard is necessary...?

DSCN0283 (1).jpg
DSCN0269.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:28 am

It's a very nice guitar enjoy it for what it is...a very good factory guitar made like old Martin guitars were made. Maybe it's not super fancy but it's certainly a nice guitar. You don't need a new fingerboard that would be cost prohibitive and not really worth it. If the bridge is glued on and not pulling up leave it alone.

Is the action good? You can order a few bone blanks to make your own saddle, with trial and error you can get intonation to improve. Is the nut on the guitar cracked in anway? Years of use can cause the bone to get worn or chipped. Sometimes older factory stuff remains perfectly serviceable.

Don't believe that newer or major repair is a good solution. The easiest thing is to get a few bone blanks and make adjustments, cheap and relatively easy to do.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 pm

MessyTendon wrote:It's a very nice guitar enjoy it for what it is...a very good factory guitar made like old Martin guitars were made. Maybe it's not super fancy but it's certainly a nice guitar. You don't need a new fingerboard that would be cost prohibitive and not really worth it. If the bridge is glued on and not pulling up leave it alone.

Is the action good? You can order a few bone blanks to make your own saddle, with trial and error you can get intonation to improve. Is the nut on the guitar cracked in anway? Years of use can cause the bone to get worn or chipped. Sometimes older factory stuff remains perfectly serviceable.

Don't believe that newer or major repair is a good solution. The easiest thing is to get a few bone blanks and make adjustments, cheap and relatively easy to do.
As I understand it the Tatay has several incarnations. The originals were luthier built, then his sons converted to factory. There was also a relative in New York building under the same name and possibly the same label. The New York guitars may have been luthier built. I don't think it matters much. The name doesn't carry the weight of some other makers. There may be a date stamped inside the box near the sound hole I think mine was Oct. 1965. I gave my Tatay away a while back. I might have kept it if the scale were shorter.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”