Vincent Tatay

eadiaz

Re: Vincent Tatay

Post by eadiaz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:00 am

Very interesting discussion. Thanks to all for sharing. Always good to learn other owners of Vicente Tatays.

Attached are pictures of my VTT bought in Panama in the 1980s. The top seems to me to be spruce, and there is a 20th fret.

Overall, she has a few dings but still plays well.
-------------
"I love the guitar for its harmony; it is my constant companion in all my travels." -- N. Paganini

jimbor

Re: Vincent Tatay

Post by jimbor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am

Can't remember the father and sons' first names, but they had a shop in Farmingville , NY from the 60s to the 90s.
I had one of their guitars and a dulcimer, (they made 5 dulcimers I know of). They also made ukulele and 12 strings.
Don't know how many they made of them. I still hear of people finding them at yard sales here on Long Island, NY.
They had a sound that surprised a lot of people. When I was out just playin, someone would always give me a look and say,"lemme see that" and I usually had to wait a bit before they'd give it back.Here at the time, everybody wanted a Gibson, Martin or a Ovation.
There was also some one out here on Long Island who made bootleg knockoffs of the Tatay. Big difference though. If you played an original, you knew the other wasn't right. I think it was actually a great acoustic for the price and the time.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”