Visit to London guitar studio

Leo Apray

Re: Visit to London guitar studio

Postby Leo Apray » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll plan to visit them.

@realejo,
I don't know that you are a member here.
I'll send you a PM.

Simon the Pieman

Postby Simon the Pieman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Ivor Mairants (primarily a shop for steel string and some select electric guitars) still stocks a reasonable selection of classical and some flamenco guitars in a separate room in its basement. However, some of these guitars are poorly cared for, often way out of tune, dusty and with old strings. It is a shame - maybe there are no classical players amongst the staff, hence the sense of neglect. So London Guitar Studio is a better option - also friendly staff and it is dedicated to nylon string guitars. The one thing I am not clear about - and there is separate comment about this on the web - is whether they really honour their refund guarantee in the event that a customer is not happy within 7 days. So just try the object of your desire until you are quite sure, before you part with your money. Kent Guitar Classics, Stafford Guitar and Maestoso Music are all great places for lovers of nylon string guitars, albeit out of London.

If you want to have a look at how guitar shops should be (ideally - but no good for classical I'm afraid), visit the shop (or website) of the North American Guitar, in London. Beautiful.

Leo Apray

Postby Leo Apray » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.

So, I visited London Guitar Studio the other day.
There was one lady in the shop, later I know her name is Steffi.
She was really friendly and very helpful, and surely she liked talking about guitars, obviously :D

She then brought some guitars for me to try:
Yulong Guo Double Top, Camps Double Top, Hopf Artista Membrane, and a Teodoro Perez for me to try.
Since I came there already after 5 pm, I couldn't really play all the guitars intensively.
But I really like the Hopf Artista Membrane, and spent my time mostly playing it. :chitarrista:
It was a really loud guitar (for me with my lack of technique) and I could make beautiful tone easily with this guitar.
Steffi said, that this one has lattice bracing and is made actually by Adalid according to Hopf specification.
The other guitars were also really good, but I like the Hopf most because of the volume and the easy playability.
I will think about buying it once my other guitar is sold.

I wanted to visit the other shops, but the weather was quite bad with a lot of heavy rain, and strong wind.
So maybe next time.

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Leo,
First of all, I have not personally visited Miles Roberts at Kent Guitar Classics nor purchased an instrument from him. However, I have spoken with Miles on a number of occasions with questions about a variety of instruments. Miles was never in a hurry, always ready to answer questions about differences in instruments made by a variety of luthiers, all without any pressure to buy. Had I been in the position to purchase at that time I would have bought from him without hesitation. Miles is extremely knowledgeable about guitars from around the world and on top of all that is a very fine player.
I wouldn't waste time going in music shops in London. Just take the train to see Miles! And report back to us. Good luck!
Hauser III 2014!

Leo Apray

Postby Leo Apray » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi Inmanjd,

I actually was in contact with Miles before I went to London 2 weeks ago.
I planned to visit his shop, but then I heard that the London Tube will on strike that week (it was cancelled in the last minute I heard), and it was my first time to visit London so I decided not to visit him that week.
If I have another chance to visit London again, I'll visit him for sure.

Leo

kristianheim

Postby kristianheim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

Old post but still relevant as these guitars are still out there. I've played a variety of the pappalardo models in the London Guitar Studio as well. Now there is variety in all guitars and playing styles so people look for different things in guitar. But I found the S1 to be the best value. It had superior sound quality than the more expense models. I played a lot of other luthier guitars there as well in range 2-5k. That one was probably my favorite. Had a hard time leaving it there.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”