Cordoba C7 vs C9 with spruce top

absence

Cordoba C7 vs C9 with spruce top

Post by absence » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm considering to buy a Cordoba, and for various reasons would like a spruce top. At the lower end C5 doesn't have a spruce option, and at the higher end C10 is too expensive. That leaves me with C7 (laminated rosewood) or C9 (solid mahogany). The price of the C9 is a bit of a stretch, but an all-solid is very tempting. However, I've read that a cedar top goes better with mahogany, and a spruce top goes better with rosewood. If I wanted a cedar top, the C9 would be the obvious choice. Will the less optimal match of spruce and mahogany in the C9 still sound better due to being solid, compared to the more optimal (but laminated) match with rosewood in the C7?

(Then again even papier-mache supposedly works well for back and sides... ;))

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Cordoba C7 vs C9 with spruce top

Post by GeoffB » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Absence, welcome to the forum. Could I ask you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Post by tom0311 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:33 pm

absence wrote:I'm considering to buy a Cordoba, and for various reasons would like a spruce top. At the lower end C5 doesn't have a spruce option, and at the higher end C10 is too expensive. That leaves me with C7 (laminated rosewood) or C9 (solid mahogany). The price of the C9 is a bit of a stretch, but an all-solid is very tempting. However, I've read that a cedar top goes better with mahogany, and a spruce top goes better with rosewood. If I wanted a cedar top, the C9 would be the obvious choice. Will the less optimal match of spruce and mahogany in the C9 still sound better due to being solid, compared to the more optimal (but laminated) match with rosewood in the C7?

(Then again even papier-mache supposedly works well for back and sides... ;))
Honestly I think most of the difference would be from the top itself, not the back or sides (laminated or not). If you're able to play them, just choose whichever you prefer. It's all subjective anyway. Are you able to visit guitar shops? If so you might walk away with something you didn't even consider in the first place, like I did with mine.

If you know you want a spruce top, I would go for the spruce, as that will make more difference to the sound than the backs and sides (IMO).
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

GuitarKarma

Post by GuitarKarma » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:22 pm

I would go for the C9 with spruce top. I had played both the the C9 (spruce) and C7, while the C7 is a fine guitar, the C9 sounds better, IMHO. And aso C9 looks much better than C7.

absence

Post by absence » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! Some guitars are available to try locally. I've tried C7 and C10 with spruce top, but C9 only with cedar top. The C9 feels like a great instrument, but the different tone makes it hard to imagine how a C9 with spruce would compare to the C7. But maybe it's not so different from C10? With a bit of travel I can get to a shop with C9 spruce (haven't been there yet), but they have C7 only with cedar, so direct comparison won't be possible, but at least I wouldn't have to order a guitar I haven't played.

GuitarKarma

Post by GuitarKarma » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 am

I had tried all 3: 7, 9, 10. C10 came out on top. I had the C10 for a year now, and love it every time I play it. All sound boards are graded, and it is big part of the price difference between models.

a human

Post by a human » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Have you considered used? For example, there is a C12 listed near me which is spruce and rosewood for $1300 on CL. Used may be a way for you to optimize.

Or, keep a lookout for used and save a bit more money in the mean time.

Personally, I'd rather wait for the "it" guitar than settle.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:53 pm

The C9 is much better, and is worth the difference in price.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Bsandesh

Post by Bsandesh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:14 pm

I have both C7 and C9, and C9 is a concert level guitar and way better than C7.
I might sell the C7 at some point for now keeping it. My C9 was an incidental buy, I was planning to upgrade to a intermediate guitar made in Spain with $1000 budget. I tried the C9 really liked it, and the price was about $850...Came with a semi-hard case.
My C9 is a cedar top, same with C7.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"- Leonard Cohen
Yairi CY70
Cordoba C7 Cutaway

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”