Rokutaro Nakade Guitars

bchi123

Rokutaro Nakade Guitars

Post by bchi123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 pm

I recently come across a Rokutaro Nakade guitar. I'm looking online and I can't find anything about him or the guitar. The one I've played is a 1967 "B3" model. The guitar plays wonderfully, and is really light.

Any info on this guitar or maker is appreciated! :merci:
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

waikuentsui

Re: Rokutaro Nakade Guitars

Post by waikuentsui » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 pm

Rokutaro Nakade 中出六太郎 is the older brother of Sakazo Nakade 中出阪蔵.
The Nakade brothers apprenticed under Japanese master violin luthier Kinpachi Miyamoto 宮本金八 in the 1930's.
Miyamoto had a chance to examine and measure Andres Segovia's performance guitar while he performed in Tokyo in 1929.

Their master never ventured into guitar making, but the apprentices Nakade brothers did.
The Nakade's also went to Spain to study guitar making from the Spanish masters.
Nakade guitars are high quality instruments and have a big following in Japan.
They were famous in early 60's before Mazaru Kohno got famous in the late 60's.
I don't believe they ran a big shop, so productions were usually all sold inside Japan.
Not too many Nakade guitars were sold into North America.
That is why there is so little information on them.

The Nakade descendants are still making guitar now in Japan.
Last edited by waikuentsui on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Thank you for the info Waikuentsui!
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

Brusko

Post by Brusko » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm always happy to be reading/hearing anything about any Nakade guitar. If you ever come across one that you like, buy it and cherish it. I lately missed out on a Toshihiko Nakade Master 200, but only because I could not afford it at $6,500 used (brand new runs to $18,000 making it easily one of the more expensive Japanese guitars out there today).

Having said that, I'm a very happy owner of a Sakazo Nakade 5000.

Peterson2

Post by Peterson2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:00 pm

i have 2 Nakade guitars, Toshihiko Nakade (son) 1973 and a Sakazo Nakade (father) 1968. i think they are better then most Kohnos of the same era. the Toshihoko has a Hernadez y Aguado replica bracing, and the Sakazo has a 9 fan fleta replica bracing. they are both very spanish sounding

Brusko

Post by Brusko » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am

I'm selling my Sakazo Nakade due to financial reasons. Well, actually it already got sold the same day I posted it in the bay. I sure will miss her bright, sweet, and loud voice.

dandan

Post by dandan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:26 pm

I've just bought a 1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9. Can't wait for it to arrive!
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:30 pm

dandan wrote:I've just bought a 1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9. Can't wait for it to arrive!
Hello dandan,

After you got the guitar, would you please post some specs?
I am trying to learn the way Nakade named their models.
I understand there are model numbers like A#, B# and C#.
I have no ideas what A, B or C mean (spruce, cedar, size, bracing or others).
I am guessing that the # means quality or price, higher # = higher quality or price.
Thank you in advance.

waikuentsui

dandan

Post by dandan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Well, I've got the guitar. Top is spruce and back/sides are perfectly quartered, straight-grained BRW. Body is slightly smaller than standard, scale length 650mm and nut width 51mm. Bracing is 5 fan. Not sure what "A" stands for in model number, maybe it relates to bracing style? I think "9" relates to price, ie. 90,000¥ in 1969, as quality is very similar to 1970 Kohno 10, which also had straight-grained BRW for back/sides.
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:40 am

waikuentsui wrote:
dandan wrote:I've just bought a 1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9. Can't wait for it to arrive!
Hello dandan,

After you got the guitar, would you please post some specs?
I am trying to learn the way Nakade named their models.
I understand there are model numbers like A#, B# and C#.
I have no ideas what A, B or C mean (spruce, cedar, size, bracing or others).
I am guessing that the # means quality or price, higher # = higher quality or price.
Thank you in advance.

waikuentsui
Just realised I probably should have quoted you so you get a notification of my response! See above for spec!
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:56 am

dandan wrote:Well, I've got the guitar. Top is spruce and back/sides are perfectly quartered, straight-grained BRW. Body is slightly smaller than standard, scale length 650mm and nut width 51mm. Bracing is 5 fan. Not sure what "A" stands for in model number, maybe it relates to bracing style? I think "9" relates to price, ie. 90,000¥ in 1969, as quality is very similar to 1970 Kohno 10, which also had straight-grained BRW for back/sides.
Congratulations on your new guitar. Did you have trouble importing BRW? Was the VAT, customs and excise and courier admin fee as much as you expected or less?

Ed
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:26 am

edcat7 wrote:
dandan wrote:Well, I've got the guitar. Top is spruce and back/sides are perfectly quartered, straight-grained BRW. Body is slightly smaller than standard, scale length 650mm and nut width 51mm. Bracing is 5 fan. Not sure what "A" stands for in model number, maybe it relates to bracing style? I think "9" relates to price, ie. 90,000¥ in 1969, as quality is very similar to 1970 Kohno 10, which also had straight-grained BRW for back/sides.
Congratulations on your new guitar. Did you have trouble importing BRW? Was the VAT, customs and excise and courier admin fee as much as you expected or less?

Ed
Thanks! No problem importing BRW, but I was sweating a bit when it spent 36 hours getting through customs! To be honest, I've never heard of anyone actually having an instrument confiscated, I think customs have got many more important matters to deal with. I know its technically possible, but think it very unlikely and worth the risk. Import duty and VAT were exactly as expected (not my first time!) at 23%. I paid about £825 in total, which is still a bargain IMO, when compared to am equivalent Kohno, for example.
Regards
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks! No problem importing BRW, but I was sweating a bit when it spent 36 hours getting through customs! To be honest, I've never heard of anyone actually having an instrument confiscated, I think customs have got many more important matters to deal with. I know its technically possible, but think it very unlikely and worth the risk. Import duty and VAT were exactly as expected (not my first time!) at 23%. I paid about £825 in total, which is still a bargain IMO, when compared to am equivalent Kohno, for example.
Regards[/quote]

I spoke to UK CITES a couple of weeks ago and they were adamant that even pre-Cites treaty BRW needed a certificate, including a UK import certificate and in my case, a Canadian export certificate.

As you know I've bought Alan's Yamaha but the paper work at both ends is a major headache.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:33 pm

I hate to say it but if you'd just had the guitar shipped without the papers, it most likely would have got through just fine. Having said that Alan's Yamaha is a more expensive guitar and probably worth doing things properly. Also figured BRW is more obviously BRW. Mine is straight-grained and very plain looking, so less immediately recognisable as BRW.
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:25 pm

dandan wrote:I hate to say it but if you'd just had the guitar shipped without the papers, it most likely would have got through just fine. Having said that Alan's Yamaha is a more expensive guitar and probably worth doing things properly. Also figured BRW is more obviously BRW. Mine is straight-grained and very plain looking, so less immediately recognisable as BRW.
I couldn't agree more on dandan's comment.
Alan's Yamaha is a collectible and superb instrument.
I wouldn't chance it by trying to go under the CITES radar.

dandan,
Thank you for posting the specs.
I am just in the beginning process on deciphering the Nakade guitar models.
I will make a post if I can find more definitive answers.
Thanks again!

waikuentsui

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”