Rokutaro Nakade Guitars

dandan

Re: Rokutaro Nakade Guitars

Post by dandan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:27 am

Well I've had the Rokaturo Nakade A9 for a while now. I can honestly say its the best guitar I've ever owned. The biggest compliment I could pay would be that it seems alive, I feel that if I have a soul, so does this guitar! Its all the guitar I'll ever need, but I'll keep trying other guitars just for fun!
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1972 Seiji Inaba
1977 Aria AG80

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:41 am

dandan wrote:Well I've had the Rokaturo Nakade A9 for a while now. I can honestly say its the best guitar I've ever owned. The biggest compliment I could pay would be that it seems alive, I feel that if I have a soul, so does this guitar! Its all the guitar I'll ever need, but I'll keep trying other guitars just for fun!
Congratulations...and at £825 all in, very good value.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 am

dandan wrote:Well I've had the Rokaturo Nakade A9 for a while now. I can honestly say its the best guitar I've ever owned. The biggest compliment I could pay would be that it seems alive, I feel that if I have a soul, so does this guitar! Its all the guitar I'll ever need, but I'll keep trying other guitars just for fun!
I think it is a little over statement to say it's alive and have a soul.

I do also own a Nakade, a 1975 Sakazo Nakade No. 3000, special commissioned - top of the line at the time. It is indeed a very fine instrument, balance and sweet sounding, with tender yet strong projection.

dandan

Post by dandan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:43 am

drmlyung wrote:
I think it is a little over statement to say it's alive and have a soul.

I do also own a Nakade, a 1975 Sakazo Nakade No. 3000, special commissioned - top of the line at the time. It is indeed a very fine instrument, balance and sweet sounding, with tender yet strong projection.
Maybe I did get a bit carried away! Its still a fantastic guitar though, which speaks to me in a way no other has before.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1972 Seiji Inaba
1977 Aria AG80

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:15 pm

It has a very clear voice - one that can whisper to you clearly across the room, as my wife put it - "tender yet strong projection".

dandan

Post by dandan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:07 pm

drmlyung wrote:It has a very clear voice - one that can whisper to you clearly across the room, as my wife put it - "tender yet strong projection".
That's a very good way to put it. If I were to be a bit more objective than my whole "alive" thing, I would say the thing which sets the Nakade apart from any other I've owned is its versatility. It sounds great playing anything in my repertoire, whereas other guitars I've had were suited to some pieces and not others, or to a certain style of music.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1972 Seiji Inaba
1977 Aria AG80

tmle

Post by tmle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:04 am

I am going to check out a vintage guitar tomorrow which the seller thinks is a Rokutaro Nakade guitar made in the 1950's. He said he bought it from a pawn shop and since then has had some repair done on it. The label appeared to be all in non-alphabetic (maybe Japanese, maybe not) characters (The photo he provided is quite out of focus; I may be able to get a better photo to post here when I check it out).

How can I tell whether the guitar is authentic Japanese made in the first place, before even attempting to verify whether it is a Rokutaro Nakade? Unfortunately, I can't read Japanese, Chinese, or Korean.

Does anyone know if Rokutaro Nakade made any classical guitar in the 1950's? I've picked up few hits by searching online and they were all guitars made in the 60's but not the 50's. The ones made in the 60's have the label printed in English, not in Japanese.

Any advice or tip to help me verify the origin or authenticity of the guitar would be greatly appreciated.
01010_3EmBi9ant02_600x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:04 am

Hi tmle. Welcome to the forum. As a new member, please introduce yourself here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:30 pm

tmle wrote: Any advice or tip to help me verify the origin or authenticity of the guitar would be greatly appreciated.
A better photo of the label will definitely help.

Rokutaro Nakade was making guitars in the 50's.
Here is one of his production dated in 1957.
Rokutaro-Nakade_1.JPG
Having said that, I don't think the guitar you are looking at is from the Nakade shop.
Earlier 50's Nakade labels in Kanji writing are different from the one you posted.
Here is one of Sakazo Nakade label in Kanji. The Kanji is in "Standard" style.
Nakade_2.jpg
The label you post has an early style of Kanji writing that is not common and seldom used.
Here is an image of different Kanji writing styles.
Kanji writing styles.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tmle

Post by tmle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:47 am

Waikuentsui, thank you for the information. I actually played the 'claimed-to-be' Rokutaro Nakade guitar today when I went to check it out at the seller's. It turned out to have a bit of a problem with intonation especially on the 3rd (G) string and the frets looking not exactly perpendicular to the strings at higher position. So I moved on looking at other guitars. Interestingly, I came upon another Japanese made classical vintage guitar, this one by Yamaki. It didn't appear to be handcrafted but sounded surprisingly very good. The model was called a Yamaki Concierto Grand Guitar. I did some preliminary research online and there wasn't much on Yamaki classical guitars either. Perhaps we should start a new thread on Yamaki classical guitars, if there isn't one already.

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:00 am

Yamaki was founded in the 1960 by brothers Yasuyuki and Hirotsygu.
Yamaki still exists today as a major manufacturer of guitar parts for Japanese guitar manufacturers.

In the 70's, Yamaki was a fair size supplier for all kinds of guitars, steel string acoustic and electric.
They produced some classical guitars but not a big foot print in that market.
Nonetheless, Yamaki made very good guitars.
Yamaki guitars.JPG

dandan

Post by dandan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:22 pm

I have just bought another Nakade! This one is a 1985 Toshihiko Nakade Master 20. I'm considering starting a Nakade fan club thread, along similar lines to the Kohno/Sakurai one. Any interest?
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1972 Seiji Inaba
1977 Aria AG80

Brusko

Post by Brusko » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:19 pm

dandan wrote:I have just bought another Nakade! This one is a 1985 Toshihiko Nakade Master 20. I'm considering starting a Nakade fan club thread, along similar lines to the Kohno/Sakurai one. Any interest?
Wow, that's a fantastic guitar. I've been eyeing a Toshihiko Nakade Master 20 (Spruce/Braz) for a long time at the Japanese stores.
Any photos? Congratulations!
Jason Wolverton - "El Dragón de Oro" (Spruce/Maple)

dandan

Post by dandan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:29 pm

Not got it yet, probably be a couple of weeks. Will post pics when it arrives.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1972 Seiji Inaba
1977 Aria AG80

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:21 pm

dandan wrote:I have just bought another Nakade! This one is a 1985 Toshihiko Nakade Master 20. I'm considering starting a Nakade fan club thread, along similar lines to the Kohno/Sakurai one. Any interest?
Congratulation to your new acquisition. It should be interesting to compare the tonal quality of the two.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”