Takamine C132S plug

soltirefa

Takamine C132S plug

Post by soltirefa » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:05 am

The first classical guitar I ever bought is the Takamine C132S, which I found in a music store going out of business back in the late 90s. It didn't come with a case and cost $450. Nowadays I rarely use it, mostly if I travel and don't want to take a good luthier guitar with me.

I got this guitar out today and played it a bit and was struck by what a great guitar it is. It sounds and plays as well as guitars much more expensive. I'm not sure if the current Takamine guitars are as good as the ones back then, but if so they should be considered by someone who is looking for an inexpensive classical guitar.

pogmoor

Re: Takamine C132S plug

Post by pogmoor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 am

soltirefa wrote:The first classical guitar I ever bought is the Takamine C132S, which I found in a music store going out of business back in the late 90s. It didn't come with a case and cost $450. Nowadays I rarely use it, mostly if I travel and don't want to take a good luthier guitar with me.

I got this guitar out today and played it a bit and was struck by what a great guitar it is. It sounds and plays as well as guitars much more expensive. I'm not sure if the current Takamine guitars are as good as the ones back then, but if so they should be considered by someone who is looking for an inexpensive classical guitar.
Agreed, I used to have a CP132S, which is the same guitar with a pickup; I got it second hand in a music shop too. It was a well set up guitar, easy to play with a nice well-balanced tone. I only got rid of it because I was downsizing and decided I couldn't cope with more than two CGs.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Stephen Graham

Post by Stephen Graham » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:11 pm

I go to a few guitar stores , and they have the usual selection and nothing really as nice as my Takamine. I bought mine about 3 years ago and I paid 750, including a Takamine hard case. Though I am barely an amateur I can appreciate the fact that I do not do this guitar justice.

dgdenes

Post by dgdenes » Wed May 20, 2015 12:27 am

I recently bought a 1995 C132S in good condition on e - b a y for a little over $300 (including shipping. I spent another $100 on a professional set-up that included new strings, saddle adjustment and some minor fret work. The neck is nicely shaped, the action is great and it sounds very good.It is hard to imagine that this guitar wouldn't be just fine to take all but the most talented through several years of study.

richardph

Post by richardph » Wed May 20, 2015 4:01 am

I purchased my first C132S in 1984 and after it's demise (different thread, heck dIfferent forum!) I bought another in 1987, which I still
own. It was a solid workhorse and acceptable instrument for many years of study. When I was younger I couldn't consider higher priced
instruments anyway, so it always was my classical go to. Still enjoy giving it a spin from time to time, It's always been very easy to play.
Got plenty of scars and character now, and the action is probably a bit TOO low for me at this point, but it's definitely staying with me for
my duration.
2014 Kenny Hill Performance
"Don't sell your Les Paul" -Michael Chapdelaine

drmlyung

Post by drmlyung » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:52 am

My first CG is a Takamine C136S bought in 1977/79 period, and still with me. It is still in mint condition and still sound very good.

Takamine guitars are way under-rated.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Bump.

I got this guitar out again today. I want to say what a good guitar "for the price," but actually it's good regardless. It is so easy to play and sounds as good a a guitar ten times the price.

This guitar has laminated back and sides, but that doesn't seem to affect it adversely whatsoever. I also have a Asturias 11-string altoguitar with laminated back and sides and that guitar is also fantastic. I definitely would not reject a guitar because of laminated sides alone.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:06 am

I bought a used C128S from craigslist a couple of years ago and it is a very nice guitar and since I only paid $200 I'm ok with taking where I'd rather not take my other 2. Surprisingly nice sound and playability (I fiddled with the setup to dial it in when I got it).

MessyTendon had a thread about how low end Cordobas often get recommended for a beginner and he thinks these kind of finds are the much better option. Honestly, I agree. If you are patient and watch the bay and craigslist, you can find some really nice Takamine, Aria or Alvarez Yairis that sold for $400 to $800 dollars new in the 80s or 90s that are really nice guitars for $200 to $400 today that I would consider a much better option than the low end Cordoba. They are solidly made and sound great!
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Noonesperfect

Post by Noonesperfect » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 am

I also purchased a 132s used, about 2 years ago - cost $500 with a nice case. I am a beginner with classical, low level intermediate with guitar in general. I find the playability and sound to both be excellent, and can't imagine ever needing to move up in quality. I play strictly for my own enjoyment, so many of the advantages of luthier built guitars are not an issue for me, making this the perfect lifetime guitar for me.
Brad
takamine 132s

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:42 pm

I agree that the ones made in the 80s or 90s are best.

60moo

Post by 60moo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:26 pm

I would say that a Takamine from the 80's is the closest thing you'll get to anything you ever wanted in a guitar, for a tenth of the price....if you're prepared to do without the 'Spanish' sound. Just super in every other respect.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:07 pm

60moo wrote:I would say that a Takamine from the 80's is the closest thing you'll get to anything you ever wanted in a guitar, for a tenth of the price....if you're prepared to do without the 'Spanish' sound. Just super in every other respect.
Plus you get that playability. The neck shape is so perfect. I had thought that if I wanted another luthier made guitar, take in the Takamine and ask if he can make the neck just like that.

brian

Post by brian » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 pm

bought mine in 87 i think?
it's an 86, need to double check.
it's my gigging guitar. it's even, clear,
no weird overtones, and best of all,
it's exactly the way it was when shipped from
Japan. neck straight as an arrow and never
needed any adjustments, repairs or anything.
only a few months ago I swapped out the
tuners for some gilberts i had in the drawer.
always amazed at that guitars quality.
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm

I realize this thread is a bit old, but here goes. I have a C132S, that was made in 1989. This model has a plastic bridge, saddle and nut. I'm thinking of converting to ebony and bone. I recently discovered the new c132 models use these materials.

Anyone out there ever tried this?
1989 Takamine C132S
1979 Yamaha CG-100

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm
I realize this thread is a bit old, but here goes. I have a C132S, that was made in 1989. This model has a plastic bridge, saddle and nut. I'm thinking of converting to ebony and bone. I recently discovered the new c132 models use these materials.

Anyone out there ever tried this?
I have a 1978 Takamine C132 (Made on Feb 25 to be exact) with the Ramirez headstock and 660 scale and all. I bought it used and it already had a bone nut and saddle which appears to be original. I'm not sure if they later switched to plastic, or if you happen to have one that was switched with a plastic saddle later by a previous owner. In any case, switching from cheap plastic to bone should yield a noticeable improvement in sound quality. You'll notice greater depth, warmth and fullness to the sound.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”