advice on P.B royal and especial

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: advice on P.B royal and especial

Post by simonm » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:19 am

DanielIndo wrote:... that I think has excellent sound in humid country as in Indonesia. Just for limiting your range of so many choices.
Hi DanielIndo

I think this might make a very interesting new thread: which guitars survive best, sound best in such a climate.

So here is a start: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=97700

I am guessing that the majority of regular posters here are in temperate climates, with a smaller number in semi-arid or continental climates. In these cases the worrying scenario is always low humidity or sudden drops in humidity rather than high humidity. However, there are an increasing number of mentions of humid climates so discussion would be good.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:49 am

Tapin wrote:
Hello Cass, thank you for your comment, My first priority will be volume, maybe any suggestion from you?
Why would volume be your first priority? Do you require loudness because you play large concert halls and need to reach the back rows? Are you clear that increased volume usually involves a trade off of poorer tone?
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

DanielIndo

Post by DanielIndo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:15 pm

simonm wrote:
DanielIndo wrote:... that I think has excellent sound in humid country as in Indonesia. Just for limiting your range of so many choices.
Hi DanielIndo

I think this might make a very interesting new thread: which guitars survive best, sound best in such a climate.

So here is a start: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=97700

I am guessing that the majority of regular posters here are in temperate climates, with a smaller number in semi-arid or continental climates. In these cases the worrying scenario is always low humidity or sudden drops in humidity rather than high humidity. However, there are an increasing number of mentions of humid climates so discussion would be good.
Hi Simonm
That's right, most of my friends who bought guitars online, thus without trying, originated from non-humid country. But they that try in dry country and brought it back to humid country think that the "sound" is less attractive compared with the sound in the seller or shop that they bought. Therefore, it is better to buy in the same humid country for "safety:. Especially for new guitar that need to"open up" such as spruce top. Regards from the humid Indonesia
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

quixilver

Post by quixilver » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Tom wrote: especially the Double Tapa of Contreras, the basses are real canon ball that not even a lattice guitar can come close.
I believe we will be interested to know which lattice guitar do you refer to and how did you do the comparison... or did you compare Contreras Double Tapa with all lattice braced guitars side by side?

ivan

Post by ivan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:31 pm

So far, i have no problem with humidity since all my guitars is stored in a humidity control room. So the humidity will always on the level between 40%-45%.
i bought somekind of humidity control machine.

ivan

Post by ivan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:37 pm

simonm wrote:
ivan wrote:...

I will have a new Joshia de Jonge (spruce & CSA rosewood) next month. A new Dominique Field this September. And a new Andrea Tacchi - Coclea Thucea next year.
Now there are three reasons for anyone here to visit Jakarta! You have to post some photos of these when they arrive.
Yes Simonm, please come to Jakarta someday. I'm sure we will have very long and enjoyable discussion about guitars.
and yes again, i will definitely post some photos and reviews.

DanielIndo

Post by DanielIndo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:04 pm

ivan wrote:So far, i have no problem with humidity since all my guitars is stored in a humidity control room. So the humidity will always on the level between 40%-45%.
Hi Ivan
I think I've know you from Facebook. It is a great idea to maintain the humidity in an optimal condition, thus mimicking the origin of the guitar. That is what I do with my precious guitars, only play it in an airconditioned room. The problem is sometime I want to play without AC, I only play with my Matsuoka or vintage Yamaha, safety playing
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:21 pm

ivan wrote:
simonm wrote:
ivan wrote:...

I will have a new Joshia de Jonge (spruce & CSA rosewood) next month. A new Dominique Field this September. And a new Andrea Tacchi - Coclea Thucea next year.
Now there are three reasons for anyone here to visit Jakarta! You have to post some photos of these when they arrive.
Yes Simonm, please come to Jakarta someday. I'm sure we will have very long and enjoyable discussion about guitars.
and yes again, i will definitely post some photos and reviews.
Ivan,

I might have to make a pilgrimage there some day :)

ivan

Post by ivan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Bacsidoan,

it is my dream to visit you someday to try your magnificent Bert Kwakkel Merula Special. I will also visit Cincy, Riff, and Dofpic if i ever have a chance to visit USA. :-D
Here in Indonesia, classical guitar is only a "low class" instrument. Just terrible. High quality luthier handmade guitars is extremely super rare.
i'm collecting many high quality guitars as a part of my dream to open the eyes of Indonesian people about the true beauty of classical guitar.

Langenb

Post by Langenb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 am

petermc61 wrote:
Tapin wrote:Thank you keithwwk, I'm considering greg smallman guitar also. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Smallman and Berbabe will sound nothing alike. I am rather confused what sort of guitar you are after.
Listen to this example, to hear the huge difference in sound of a Smallmann and a Bernabe Imperial. Personally I pefer the sound of the Bernabe very much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o37QmJ3x6xk
Der spirituelle Mensch bündelt die Aufmerksamkeit nicht auf die Vielfalt des Unterscheidbaren, sondern auf die Einheit des Unterschiedlichen.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:06 pm

OldPotter wrote:
very strong E on the 12th fret and ridiculous D sharp and F (11th and 13th fret) on the 1st strings.
Did you mean ridiculous in a good way or.....?
I meant ridiculously quiet. Didn't exist compared to E.

ivan

Post by ivan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:01 pm

DanielIndo wrote:
ivan wrote:So far, i have no problem with humidity since all my guitars is stored in a humidity control room. So the humidity will always on the level between 40%-45%.
Hi Ivan
I think I've know you from Facebook. It is a great idea to maintain the humidity in an optimal condition, thus mimicking the origin of the guitar. That is what I do with my precious guitars, only play it in an airconditioned room. The problem is sometime I want to play without AC, I only play with my Matsuoka or vintage Yamaha, safety playing
Pak Daniel,

Sorry i just notice your post about our facebook friendship.
Yes, i buy somekind of humidity control machine and i put it on my collection room to set the humidity to the most ideal level.

Back to the topic. The original poster has contacted me and he is very nice person. I will be gladly bring him to try quite many bigname guitar for the first step. I hope after this he could determined what kind of instrument will be the most suitable to his need and music. I will do my very best to help him.

DanielIndo

Post by DanielIndo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Pak Daniel,

Sorry i just notice your post about our facebook friendship.
Yes, i buy somekind of humidity control machine and i put it on my collection room to set the humidity to the most ideal level.

Back to the topic. The original poster has contacted me and he is very nice person. I will be gladly bring him to try quite many bigname guitar for the first step. I hope after this he could determined what kind of instrument will be the most suitable to his need and music. I will do my very best to help him.[/quote]
Hi Ivan
I think you're an excellent Indonesian pioneer for "rare" high end classical guitar collectors who also helped others to get those rare CG. Very helpful. Go on with that. I still control humidity in a simple way, playing in the airconditioned room. Usually after 15 mins the humidity goes to app 50%.
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

purple

Post by purple » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 am

I have owned a P. Bernabe Royal and also a student model Bernabe. The Royal has the typical Spanish voice and a booming sound. The 1st string sounds fragile compared to the 6th which gives the guitar a certain charm.It is also well constructed and in tune in all the registers which is very important.
However, there are a few difficulties and one major flaw.
The sustain on the notes is not that great as you'd expect from a top level instrument. Although it has sheer volume the notes die away fast. Also it is difficult to get a gradation of tone colors. It's very good at maintaining a single tone color across the range, but the texture is rather fixed.
It's also quite a difficult guitar to play without squeaks. The frets are rather high probably not well polished. So, all in all I'd say it's a very good guitar but not a great guitar. Definitely overpriced.
My experience has been that the P.Bernabe senior guitars were superior in every respect.
They were better balanced and had a beautiful translucent sound.

What is a clear fail with the P.Bernabe Junior guitars is the lack of after-sale service by this luthier who is too busy, or simply unwilling to answer any emails or speak on the phone should any problem arise. If you buy a guitar make sure you insist for a signed detailed certificate for the authenticity of timbers on your guitar because he does not provide these readily. You'll need these with the current international regulations on protection of species.
In case you manage to speak to him he'll also expect you to only speak to him in Spanish.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:12 pm

I have known the Bernabe family for over twenty years. The PB line is made personally by Paulino in his workshop at home (where I have have spent hours talking with him as he worked). Currently, this line consists of the PB Concierto, PB Especial, PB Torres model, PB Goldmedaille, PB Imperial (now only for his 10 string guitar) and the PB Royal. Although there are some differences in construction between models, the principle difference between them is in the quality and rareness of woods. The quality of these woods are beyond anything commercially available. They are, in fact, heirloom woods 30 to 100 years old, that his father set aside for their tonal qualities to build special guitars. The Royal, of course, represents the best Bernabe has to offer and uses the best woods he has available. Clearly, the PB Royal model is at the top rung of a game of diminishing returns where one pays top dollar for small, but appreciable refinements, but Goldmedaille also is made with heirloom woods, although perhaps not a 100 years old.

James
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”