Need help about classical guitar around 1500 CAD

xinyufan00

Need help about classical guitar around 1500 CAD

Postby xinyufan00 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I am new to Canada. Currently using my 3years old Almansa 402 which is quite nice for its price (500). And I am deciding to upgrade it to an all solid guitar. the options i have is almansa 457, rodriguez model b or d, some guitars in Long & mcqude. I have already tried almansa 457 spruce and cedar. The sound of spruce almansa 457 is really muffled and not bright(while spruce is famous for bright sound), this one is not even better than my almansa 402. And the sound of cedar almansa is much better, but I don't have other options cause this is Canada. Want some help for advise about classical guitar around 1000-1500$ cad which is 1200$ USD. Is the cedar almansa 457 worth buying?

Neil Patrick

Re: Need help about classical guitar around 1500 CAD

Postby Neil Patrick » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 pm

xinyufan00 wrote:I am new to Canada. Currently using my 3years old Almansa 402 which is quite nice for its price (500). And I am deciding to upgrade it to an all solid guitar. the options i have is almansa 457, rodriguez model b or d, some guitars in Long & mcqude. I have already tried almansa 457 spruce and cedar. The sound of spruce almansa 457 is really muffled and not bright(while spruce is famous for bright sound), this one is not even better than my almansa 402. And the sound of cedar almansa is much better, but I don't have other options cause this is Canada. Want some help for advise about classical guitar around 1000-1500$ cad which is 1200$ USD. Is the cedar almansa 457 worth buying?

Are u from Vancouver?

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:17 pm

JosephVu wrote:
xinyufan00 wrote:I am new to Canada. Currently using my 3years old Almansa 402 which is quite nice for its price (500). And I am deciding to upgrade it to an all solid guitar. the options i have is almansa 457, rodriguez model b or d, some guitars in Long & mcqude. I have already tried almansa 457 spruce and cedar. The sound of spruce almansa 457 is really muffled and not bright(while spruce is famous for bright sound), this one is not even better than my almansa 402. And the sound of cedar almansa is much better, but I don't have other options cause this is Canada. Want some help for advise about classical guitar around 1000-1500$ cad which is 1200$ USD. Is the cedar almansa 457 worth buying?

Are u from Vancouver?

I m from Toronto. :D

guitarseller345645

Postby guitarseller345645 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Cordoba? Esteve? Navarro?
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Check out the 12th Fret guitar shop in Toronto. They currently list a used Ramirez 4E for $1500. It is a great model, all solid wood and very well made, and apparently this one is in very good condition (a new one would be close to $3000). I would check it out, if I were you!

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:50 pm

I second the 12th fret. Go and look at the used Ramirez 4E like lovemyguitar has mentioned. They typically have a bunch of used stuff in there that is pretty good. Worst case scenario and they don't have anything used you can look at the new Ramirez, Cervantes and Alhambra's there. There might be something you like that is close to your price range! Other then that, keep your eyes on the local classifieds online and things come up now and then that are interesting.

Good luck!
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:27 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:Check out the 12th Fret guitar shop in Toronto. They currently list a used Ramirez 4E for $1500. It is a great model, all solid wood and very well made, and apparently this one is in very good condition (a new one would be close to $3000). I would check it out, if I were you!

I just went to 12 fret last week, checked all the new guitar in that price range.(including Alhambra 7p, ramirez 2ne). I didt know they have the used 4E. The sound of 2NE is better than 7p while also 400 usd more expensive which is over my budget. And all the new 7p in the store have some minor scratch on the surface, and I dont want to pay the regular price to buy a sample.
I will definitely check the 4E, should be better than 7p and 2ne, and dont need to consider if it is sample or not. Thank you for your advice. :D

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:35 am

Philosopherguy wrote:I second the 12th fret. Go and look at the used Ramirez 4E like lovemyguitar has mentioned. They typically have a bunch of used stuff in there that is pretty good. Worst case scenario and they don't have anything used you can look at the new Ramirez, Cervantes and Alhambra's there. There might be something you like that is close to your price range! Other then that, keep your eyes on the local classifieds online and things come up now and then that are interesting.

Good luck!

Yeah, never think I can own a ramirez 4e as its regular price is way over my budget. Is there anything I should pay attention when buying a second hand guitar? Cause I am not good at valuing the second hand guitar's price. Hmm, this ramirez 4E is built in 1991 and it's still worth the half of the regular price?

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:36 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:Cordoba? Esteve? Navarro?

where can I found these guitars? :D

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 am

That is a great deal on a 4E. Second hand prices are all over the place. But, after a guitar initially depreciates the value usually stays pretty stable unless the condition of the guitar starts to go down. Look that the neck is relatively strait and that the frets don't have too much wear. Look under the strings for signs that the frets are being gouged out where they are played by the strings (move the string to the side and look in the first 5 or so frets for the most obvious signs). But, ask the guys at the 12th fret for help too. They are honest people. I have purchased a guitar there and they were more then forthcoming. Put it this way, if you pay $1500 and still have to get something fixed on it for a few hundred dollars in a couple years or something you are still getting a great deal. There may be little nail marks in the finish or little dings from use, but unless it really bothers you or seems to impact the guitar, I wouldn't worry too much about them. From what I see in the pictures, it looks like a nice guitar. But, go and play it and see how it sounds and what you think. Ask them if they think anything is wrong with the guitar. Get one of the sales people to play it for you so that you can hear how it sounds.

Some people seem to think the old 4E's are better than the new 4NE's. That is rather subjective. But, you could be getting a nice guitar for a good price!

If you want to go up in price a little more you can get the 130Anos from there brand new with no marks or scuffs. But, you would have to chip in another $900 after tax (suggested price mind you.. you might be able to get a deal). Also you can look at some Alhambra's and Cervantes and see what you like. Just go in there and go to the back little classical room and play everything they have! hahaha.. That's what I do! Spend a few hours at least trying everything out!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 am

I have one good luthier made guitar which I may sell because I have too many guitars...
It plays well but it is not new, with some scratches and even cracks on it.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:17 am

Philosopherguy wrote:That is a great deal on a 4E. Second hand prices are all over the place. But, after a guitar initially depreciates the value usually stays pretty stable unless the condition of the guitar starts to go down. Look that the neck is relatively strait and that the frets don't have too much wear. Look under the strings for signs that the frets are being gouged out where they are played by the strings (move the string to the side and look in the first 5 or so frets for the most obvious signs). But, ask the guys at the 12th fret for help too. They are honest people. I have purchased a guitar there and they were more then forthcoming. Put it this way, if you pay $1500 and still have to get something fixed on it for a few hundred dollars in a couple years or something you are still getting a great deal. There may be little nail marks in the finish or little dings from use, but unless it really bothers you or seems to impact the guitar, I wouldn't worry too much about them. From what I see in the pictures, it looks like a nice guitar. But, go and play it and see how it sounds and what you think. Ask them if they think anything is wrong with the guitar. Get one of the sales people to play it for you so that you can hear how it sounds.

Some people seem to think the old 4E's are better than the new 4NE's. That is rather subjective. But, you could be getting a nice guitar for a good price!

If you want to go up in price a little more you can get the 130Anos from there brand new with no marks or scuffs. But, you would have to chip in another $900 after tax (suggested price mind you.. you might be able to get a deal). Also you can look at some Alhambra's and Cervantes and see what you like. Just go in there and go to the back little classical room and play everything they have! hahaha.. That's what I do! Spend a few hours at least trying everything out!

Martin

Beautiful! :bravo: Thank you for your advice. I think I am going to use this guitar which I am currently picking for several years, but this wont be my last one. So , probably not going to invest another 900 dollar for 130 which I really want to go for. :D .

For sure will try something else there again, nice sales person & store. 4E i am coming! :D

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:19 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:I have one good luthier made guitar which I may sell because I have too many guitars...
It plays well but it is not new, with some scratches and even cracks on it.

Can you pm some more information? :D

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 pm

For less than $1000 you can get a brand new all solid woods signed label luthier guitar constructed by Marlon Navarro, which is superior to every guitar mentioned or suggested on this thread.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

xinyufan00

Postby xinyufan00 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:For less than $1000 you can get a brand new all solid woods signed label luthier guitar constructed by Marlon Navarro, which is superior to every guitar mentioned or suggested on this thread.

Ramon

Hi, where can I get it? do you have the link or address.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”