A $200 Yamaha was the Best of the Bunch.

markw51

A $200 Yamaha was the Best of the Bunch.

Postby markw51 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Spent a day this week visiting different music stores in Orlando and trying various factory made CGs. They included a Cordoba C5, a Rodriquez CAB11 and a few Yamaha CG models. I thought the best of them all was a Yamaha CG-122 cedar top. It was bright and lively compared to the others. I can only attribute this to that guitar's light matte finish compared to the shiny poly finish on the other models.

I also have a Tacoma D9 steel string guitar with a light matte finish and the experience is the same - bright and lively. This also was not an expensive guitar. American made and $600 new when I bought it new several years ago.

Joe de V

Re: A $200 Yamaha was the Best of the Bunch.

Postby Joe de V » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Congratulations. The best way to choose a guitar is by trying as many a are available within your designated budget. I don't own a Yamaha but many players choose this maker as their first CG. Eventually you may wish to move-up in overall quality and in such a case search the market and choose one with a solid top. It will make a big difference in the sound sustain and projection over a laminated top. Enjoy your new guitar.

MethodMadness

Postby MethodMadness » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I wanted to point out that the Yamaha CG-122 does have a solid top (available in cedar or spruce).

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm

MethodMadness wrote:I wanted to point out that the Yamaha CG-122 does have a solid top (available in cedar or spruce).

Thank you for the information. My understanding was that the Yamaha CG series with a solid top are sold now for over $300.
The latest product of this series is the Yamaha CG-122MCH list selling for $362.00.
If in todays market place you can find a solid top Yamaha for $200. you found a good bargain. Enjoy.

MethodMadness

Postby MethodMadness » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm not the OP, but I piped up because I had the same experience with Yamaha. I don't know the rules for posting URLs, so I won't post the link, but I double checked the price and specs against a popular online music retailer site. The typical price ("street" price) for the CG122 is around $220, though the MSRP is in the ballpark you mentioned.

I bought a Yamaha CG122MS (I believe MS stands for matte spruce) a few years ago. I went to a local music store and tried all their classical guitars. The Yamaha was by far my favorite in terms of sound and appearance, and I had gone in intending to spend more money. I got it for about $200 (case not included). I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have a solid top.

I still love the guitar, and I'm enthusiastic about Yamaha guitars, particularly at low price points.

Thanks for your response. Cheers.

smj

Postby smj » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Yamaha don't make bad guitars

waikuentsui

Postby waikuentsui » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:40 pm

smj wrote:Yamaha don't make bad guitars

+1

If one is patient, one can find some vintage Yamaha with all solid wood for the same price.

DanielIndo

Postby DanielIndo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:00 pm

waikuentsui wrote:
smj wrote:Yamaha don't make bad guitars

+1

If one is patient, one can find some vintage Yamaha with all solid wood for the same price.

I agree with you all, Yamaha makes good guitars in affordable price and long lasting too. I have Yamaha G150a, bought new in 1976, still sounds very good. My newest Yamaha is NCX 2000 FM, excellent guitar in its price. If you're lucky you can find Yamaha Grand Concert GC3 or GC5 at about USD 300-400, very nice guitar. Regards from Daniel. Indonesia
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

Ocho

Postby Ocho » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:25 pm

i'm very glad a picked up the $200 Yamaha 700s, because it plays better, ( to me) than any of the others in the shop. Including guitars costing double.

Debussychopin

Postby Debussychopin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:15 am

Yeah just in response to the above reply , this isn't too much off topic but I love the fg700 and fs700 line of acoustics by Yamaha.
You can't beat it for the $200 price the fs700s in sunburst is just really solid and elegant instrument.
Not only that, the fs has been updated (fs800s) now since NAMM 16 and it has a slightly different bracing for a much raspier sound same price. I urge anyone to look into that one if by chance you want to pick up a decent steel string parlor.

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

mikey445

Postby mikey445 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:01 am

I've had some excellent Yamaha's pass through my hands...unfortunately...without staying long enough. They can be really great guitars.

vattila

Postby vattila » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:22 pm

I don't know much of the new yamaha classical guitars but the ones were made in Japan in the the 60's, 70's were compatible with the best luthier made guitars (apparently they were made by the luthiers of yamaha, they had some talented masters who yamaha made some signed model. Kato was one of them. And these guitars were made of Brazilian rosewood and jezo spruce which were the best available woods could build classical guitars from. Segovia had a Yamaha guitar (either the no 5 or 7) but he used it very often. So if Yamaha was good for Segovia who am i to be picky :)

vattila

Postby vattila » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:32 pm

I have an old Yamaha no.150 which was the top model of yamaha, used to cost 20000 yen in 67' which used to be near a year of salary, i bought it for £15 in a charity shop :-) the bone saddle was missing and the french Polish was a bit tired (this is why it was so cheap) but the wood and everything else was(is) in mint condition. I repolished it and made a new bone saddle (did some research on internet)
With new strings it sounds and plays beautiful :-)

Debussychopin

Postby Debussychopin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:00 pm

markw51 wrote:Spent a day this week visiting different music stores in Orlando and trying various factory made CGs. They included a Cordoba C5, a Rodriquez CAB11 and a few Yamaha CG models. I thought the best of them all was a Yamaha CG-122 cedar top. It was bright and lively compared to the others. I can only attribute this to that guitar's light matte finish compared to the shiny poly finish on the other models.

I also have a Tacoma D9 steel string guitar with a light matte finish and the experience is the same - bright and lively. This also was not an expensive guitar. American made and $600 new when I bought it new several years ago.

I have a caballero 11 and although projection-wise it is not up to par w other more expensive guitars, it is a neat little guitar. Well made and has a very woody scent from inside. The feel and playability of it is different from the CG Yamahas and is thus more interesting to hold and play on the cab11

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

alexdegroot
Student of the online lessons

Postby alexdegroot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:58 pm

I have spend the last month and a half trying different guitars. There is no shop nearby but in total I have had 5 guitars ordered and returned, different Alhambra / Perez guitars between 600 and 1800. Now I ended up with a Yamaha CG192S (spruce solid top) that played so great right out of the box, I was instantly in love. It is a great guitar for me, and not too expensive aswell (519€), so I dont feel bad for leaving it on the guitar stand instead of in the case.

Going to spend the money I saved on a good teacher now.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”