A $200 Yamaha was the Best of the Bunch.

Joe de V

Re: A $200 Yamaha was the Best of the Bunch.

Post by Joe de V » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:07 pm

I purchased a Used yamaha in my early years as a CG student and I trade it after 6 months primarily because it was much heavier - over 5lbs. than any other CG within the same price range at that time. This one yamaha was a vintage 1980's production. I have never purchased another Yamaha CG since that time. I suspect that the newer models since then have been modified to produce a lighter-weight product.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:25 pm

vattila wrote:I don't know much of the new yamaha classical guitars but the ones were made in Japan in the the 60's, 70's were compatible with the best luthier made guitars (apparently they were made by the luthiers of yamaha, they had some talented masters who yamaha made some signed model. Kato was one of them. And these guitars were made of Brazilian rosewood and jezo spruce which were the best available woods could build classical guitars from. Segovia had a Yamaha guitar (either the no 5 or 7) but he used it very often. So if Yamaha was good for Segovia who am i to be picky :)
The model that Segovia uses was a Yamaha GC71 custom.
1978 Yamaha GC30A-S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid-S/BRW
2014 Sen #5-S/BRW
2016 HNLim-S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950-S/BRW-0-string-convert 2015
2017 HN Lim-14-string-S/BRW
HN Lim 13-string-S/NEW-WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800-Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE IF PRICE IS RIGHT

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 pm

In November 2014 I bought a Yamaha CG122S for my daughter, who was starting guitar lessons then. I bought it new for $260. I’ve tried a lot of entry level guitars, many of them almost twice as expensive as this one, and none of them match the sound I hear from this particular CG122S. I suppose sometimes luck plays a big role. The sound of this guitar developed and became so pleasant that I got one for myself as well about 6 months later, same exact model. And yet, the one I bought for myself never sounded like the other one. It was just okay, but not great, big difference, so I ended up selling it a few months ago. But my daughter’s CG122S I consider a true jewel considering the price. That one will stay forever. Aside from the great sound and playability, it feels like a robust, solid guitar. And I love the matte finish throughout.
Yamaha GC42S

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:42 pm

HNLim wrote:
vattila wrote:I don't know much of the new yamaha classical guitars but the ones were made in Japan in the the 60's, 70's were compatible with the best luthier made guitars (apparently they were made by the luthiers of yamaha, they had some talented masters who yamaha made some signed model. Kato was one of them. And these guitars were made of Brazilian rosewood and jezo spruce which were the best available woods could build classical guitars from. Segovia had a Yamaha guitar (either the no 5 or 7) but he used it very often. So if Yamaha was good for Segovia who am i to be picky :)
The model that Segovia uses was a Yamaha GC71 custom.
Actually, Segovia chose a GC70C although he gave advice on the development of the GC71.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:51 am

Yamaha CG-series guitars sound quite a bit nicer than you would expect for the price. Definitely well worth starting on one as a student, as there's plenty of headroom to grow into.

I have a CG-122MS too, and I think the matt finish lets the guitar's voice come through a little better/clearer than the gloss finish. I like it a lot, although I am now afflicted with GAS. :roll: :lol:

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”