G.V. Rubio Estudo / Francisco Navarro Concert Classical

MaanDehu

G.V. Rubio Estudo / Francisco Navarro Concert Classical

Post by MaanDehu » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:39 am

Hi all,

The two guitars in the subject are similarily priced.
If anyone have had the pleasure to play both I'll be happy to get your thoughts about how do they compare!

MaanDehu

MrSteve

Re: G.V. Rubio Estudo / Francisco Navarro Concert Classical

Post by MrSteve » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:58 am

Good question, as both are highly rated. I'm sure there must be some who have tested or owned both
2016 Chris Sobel Luthier Guitar Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
2007 Darren Hippner Hauser SP/BRW
Yamaha SLG130NW Classical Silent

2012 Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double Top SP/EIRW (SOLD)

MrSteve

Post by MrSteve » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 pm

No responses?? How is this possible for two very highly rated and popular models.

I would have thought someone could share insight to the OP
2016 Chris Sobel Luthier Guitar Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
2007 Darren Hippner Hauser SP/BRW
Yamaha SLG130NW Classical Silent

2012 Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double Top SP/EIRW (SOLD)

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:01 pm

I have never played a Navarro, so unfortunately I cannot help in the comparison. But I do own a 2012 G.V. Rubio Estudio (spruce) and can give my opinion on it. This Rubio is not a loud or boomy guitar, but it is very balanced in volume and tone across the strings and along the fretboard. It is very easy to play. I would characterize its voice as bright, open, clear and graceful.

I hope this answers at least one half of your question. Of course, if at all possible, it's preferable to play an instrument for oneself before making a final decision.

Good luck in your search,
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

doug

Post by doug » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:43 pm

I have not played a Navarro, but I decided on the G.V. Rubio because I understand the nut width of the 640 scale Navarro is 50 mm, and the Rubio has a 52 mm nut. I have a Kenny Hill Estudio, in 640 scale, and the nut width is 50 mm. I prefer the slightly wider string spacing.
2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Mickey_C

Post by Mickey_C » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:12 pm

I have never played that Rubio, however I played the Rubio belonging to Miguel Espinoza in 2003 - it was a fabulous guitar, but it was NOT the student model.

I have a Francisco Navarro Special Grand Concert guitar that I am going to sell (at a loss as I refinished the top, but that's not why I am selling it).

Honestly? At the end of the day my Cervantes Rodriguez Concert is a FREAKING GIANT SLAYER. Everything else is in some fashion a step down from that, including the Navarro AND a Ramirez 125 Anos. The Ramirez sounds like a tinny little toy next to the Cervantes (it is fun to play, but it lacks the bass response, the string balance, and the VOLUME of the Rodriguez). The Navarro is a lattice braced guitar, so it is stronger fundamental, with more definition and resonance. The volume is no better than the rodriguez. The neck is nicer... but marginally. The guitar is VERY dry... somehow I just miss those overtones, the Rodriguez can sound so haunting at times. I honestly believed when I found the Navarro, shortly after just purchasing the Cervantes, that the Cervantes would go out the door. Surprisingly, it will not, probably not ever, it's the keeper of the bunch. The Navarro is nicer than the Ramirez 125 Anos (mostly)... between those two, I'd pick the Navarro.

I don't know if this helps any... probably not... but that's my observations with the Navarro. A completely different Navarro than you are looking at, as this was the Special Grand Concert and it's a smallman lattice braced model. But there it is.

And I said, if anybody is interested - I am selling it.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:16 am

doug wrote:I have not played a Navarro, but I decided on the G.V. Rubio because I understand the nut width of the 640 scale Navarro is 50 mm, and the Rubio has a 52 mm nut. I have a Kenny Hill Estudio, in 640 scale, and the nut width is 50 mm. I prefer the slightly wider string spacing.
1) It should be noted that that the Navarro 640 has a standard 50 nut because that's a logical nut for a 640, but Francisco will make a 640 with a 52 nut if anyone wants it.

2) It makes little sense to throw the factory 130 Anos in with this comparison - it's in a different category.

3) I have not played a Rubio, but the Rubio, by his own definition, is a student model, with whatever implications can be inferred from that designation, presumably some lessening of quality/features somewhere. The Navarro Concert model can be classified as a 1A, since this is Francisco's personal design.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Sprucetop

Post by Sprucetop » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:43 am

I have a Navarro Concert spruce and its an amazing guitar for the price. It honestly gives my main guitar, (another beautiful spruce top from a well respected maker), a run for its money. They are, of course, different, but my main guitar was MUCH more expensive. My Navarro Concert is 52mm nut and 650mm scale. I'm currently selling it as I already have a Navarro cedar and I'm making space for a Navarro flamenco blanca! This will be my 4th Navarro, so you could say I'm a fan...I heard a GVR Hauser model recently which was nice, but I have not heard his student model. I believe the materials are similar to the Navarro Concert, (spruce or cedar front and Palo Escrito back/sides). You would probably be very happy with either.

One more thing just occurred to me...I was told that the Navarro Concert is based on a modified Ramirez design whereas GVR is probably best known for his interpretation of Hauser II, (not sure if his student model is based on this design). If you favor the characteristics of either of these two makers' instruments, that may factor in.
"Music exists for the purpose of growing an admirable heart." Shinichi Suzuki

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Sprucetop wrote:... GVR is probably best known for his interpretation of Hauser II...
Correction: GVR's is an interpretation of a Hauser I, specifically, Segovia's 1937 Hauser (and it is an awesome guitar!).

Sprucetop

Post by Sprucetop » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes, sorry about that..the one I heard was indeed the Segovia 1937 design and yes it sounded great. Not sure if his student model is based on the same design though. I'm guessing it would be a typical 7 fan Torres/Hauser construction similar to that guitar, but that would only be a guess. Perhaps someone who owns one could chime in? Anyway thanks for the correction!
"Music exists for the purpose of growing an admirable heart." Shinichi Suzuki

Write_Rich

Post by Write_Rich » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:08 pm

I have never played a GVR but I do own a Francisco Navarro Grand Concert Hauser which I am quite happy with. I did consider a GVR Hauser but went with the Navarro only because I had previously played a Navarro (not sure what model) a few years ago and really liked it. Either way both GVR and Navarro make some fantastic guitars for the price - one cant go wrong picking either one (or both?).
2015 Yamaha CG172F - Flamenco
2013 Francisco Navarro Garcia Grand Concert "Hauser"
2008 Ramirez 125 anos Limited Edition
2002 Ramirez R4
2000 Alhambra 5P

Murat

Post by Murat » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 am

Write_Rich wrote:I have never played a GVR but I do own a Francisco Navarro Grand Concert Hauser which I am quite happy with. I did consider a GVR Hauser but went with the Navarro only because I had previously played a Navarro (not sure what model) a few years ago and really liked it. Either way both GVR and Navarro make some fantastic guitars for the price - one cant go wrong picking either one (or both?).
Hi Rich,

how aňos 125 is compared to navarro ?

Regards,
Murat

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm

doug wrote:I have not played a Navarro, but I decided on the G.V. Rubio because I understand the nut width of the 640 scale Navarro is 50 mm, and the Rubio has a 52 mm nut. I have a Kenny Hill Estudio, in 640 scale, and the nut width is 50 mm. I prefer the slightly wider string spacing.
My 640 Estudio is 51mm at the nut as measured by calipers. The neck at the nut is also 51mm.
As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw.
Shunryu Suzuki-roshi 1905 1971

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”