Dr. Dementia Test

Word games to exercise the brain and develop improvisational skills.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: Dr. Dementia Test

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Doonesbury used a similar technique in which he set up a sexual context, then used the word "condominium" where he could have used "condom". Amost everyone read "condom" and had to read it three times to actually see the word "condominium". Our brains automatically unscramble words as shown above, but we can also see what we want rather than what is truly there...
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Saffiya

Postby Saffiya » Wed May 11, 2016 9:00 am

I found this easy to read and am thankful on two counts. Firstly because I had the luxury of having fun while doing the exercise. Secondly, it gave me a modicum of reassurance that my struggle to recall things lately is just age-related and not the onset of dementia :merci:

PaulHardy

Postby PaulHardy » Sat May 14, 2016 5:24 pm

chuckinphoenix wrote:...aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh?

Off topic; I used to use this text in a presentation I gave to medical and nursing colleagues about medicines safety. I would follow it up with a list of medications whose names look similar--for example, chlorpromazine, chlorpropamide, chlorphenamine etc. All of these are for completely different medical conditions but could easily be mis-read. It's a reminder for colleagues about being vigilant!

(Tomzooki you can have that idea for free!)

docdq99

Postby docdq99 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:08 am

Debussychopin wrote:I think people and younguns who are on their smartphone all day are able to read this with ease.

right you are but with the predictive text turned off. :-)

I am able to read the paragraphs without any problem but I guess this is because I am dyslexic in the first place. Hahaha

gjj

Postby gjj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 am

ı ɐɯ ɥɐddʎ ʇo ɹǝdoɹʇ ʇɥɐʇ ı ʍɐs ɐqןǝ ʇo ɹǝɐp ıʇ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐuʎ dɹoqןǝɯ ʍɥɐʇsoǝʌǝɹ¡

Return to “Word games”