D02 4 Players 6 Notes 13 Days

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Jack Jarrett

D02 4 Players 6 Notes 13 Days

Postby Jack Jarrett » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Ok I'll give a go at this! Let's see what we can come up with.

Here the start.
mytry.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 4 Players 6 Notes 13 Days

Postby Stewart Doyle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Jack, I'll join you in the game. I'll add my six notes as soon as I can (I really should be recording my pieces for the lessons.... :wink: ) - Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Stewart Doyle

Postby Stewart Doyle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Here are my 6 additional notes....
mytry02.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Stewart and Jack

I like the sound of this, can I join in? I will make the next post sometime this evening.

Ned H.

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Dear Jack and Stewart

Here are my six notes.

Youtube

Anyone else care to join us?

(By the way, Stewart, how's your next composition for "Brest" coming along?)

Ned H.

Richard Judge

Postby Richard Judge » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi all, can I make up your 4?

Here's my six..

Stewart Doyle

Postby Stewart Doyle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:03 pm

What have we, or what has Jack, started here! :shock: This sounds tricky.... and I really should be doing my final recordings for the lessons! :chaud:
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Stewart wrote:What have we, or what has Jack, started here!

You can tell he started it late at night...it's got that 'round about midnight" feel to it so far... :)

By the way, one and all, my contributions will slow down a bit during the week, I expect....
Look forward to seeing what you come up with next...

best wishes

Ned

Jack Jarrett

Postby Jack Jarrett » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:45 pm

This is so interesting how the tunes progess with others using thier ideas,Quite different from what I imagined at the onset! Very fun to interract this way.

Now the hard part. Recreating what we have so far.New notes coming soon! (I may try to put this on Guitar Pro that I recently downloaded to SEE what this actually ends up like.)
Jack

Jack Jarrett

Postby Jack Jarrett » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:45 am

I'm having fun with this game. I thought I'd try putting it in notation using GuitarPro. This,I think is what we have so far,including my 6 notes not recorded yet.(I spent so much time trying to do this I ran out of time to actually record what I played.) :oops:I'll get it recorded tomorrow. Don't be too thrown off by the time signatures as this was the only way I could get it to sound like what we are playing. (This program plays what is written and it sounds just like a nylon string guitar. I just thought it might be fun to see what we are coming up with.
mytry.png

(hopefully corrected to proper notes)
Last edited by Jack Jarrett on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi Jack
I am really enjoying this game too. Good to see your shot at the notation, though I disagree with it a bit.... I haven't got a computer programme so I have just been writing down the actual notes (in alphabetical form) to assist my memory when recording and memorising the tempo as best I can.
So my record ot the notes goes:
ECEBAE F(low)DABAE(low) CB(low)CDC(low)B B(low)AA(low)G G(low)F. My system is pretty primitive but it agrees with yours in the top line but then starts to disagree with yours in bar four.

Whichever is correct, it sounds intriguing so far and I am curious to hear your next instalment when it is recorded.

Ned

Jack Jarrett

Postby Jack Jarrett » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 am

Thanks Ned for correcting my notes. I had a real hard time deciding what notes were played, I must have listened to it for a half hour! Anyway, that program is fun to play with but it takes time to get the hang of it.I had to add rests that may not exist, but I just wanted to see it on paper, as I am not able to go by memory anymore.Anyway here are my next six notes....(I really wanted to add a seventh but stayed within the rules parameters :roll:

mytry.mp3

Stewart Doyle

Postby Stewart Doyle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi everyone, I think this is a very useful ear-training exercise although I must get some recording done for lesson 5 too! I've used a free program called Musescore (which I've seen mentioned on the site) to try to set down the notes. I'm sure the note lengths are wrong but you may find them useful. I've attached a graphic from the program (I can't upload the .mscz source file) and my next six notes - which I haven't written down in case I spoil your fun!
MyTry5-1.jpg
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Hello folks

Thanks Stewart for the score of My Try - it was helpful.
Here is the next six notes. I would like tp post mp3s but haven't been able to figure it out on my Mac yet, I downloaded Audacity but I don't seem to be able to make it work for me yet.
So you get the battered sweatshirt and the late evening ambiance thrown in (is it a bug or a feature?)

Youtube

Ned

Jack Jarrett

Postby Jack Jarrett » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 am

Stewart I agree with you on lesson 5 recording. It has taken a back seat, but hopefully this week I'll get in my final attempts. Has anyone started doing some improvisation of the lesson 7 excercises yet? I have been working on that as well and must say it takes some real concentration to play the base notes and the melody line in the A key. I would recommend taking a looksee at it if you haven't started yet.

Ned has brought into something sounding a little Spanish. I like it! Oh and Ned you need to download Lame to get the Audacity to export as mp3.You can find the link by doing search under the Recording section. It wont export without it.
Jack

Return to “Musical Games”