D03, X players, 5 notes in one measure, 3/4 time, 2 voices

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Marko Räsänen

D03, X players, 5 notes in one measure, 3/4 time, 2 voices

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am

This game is only for D03 class. Each player will play the composition from the beginning adding one measure of music at the end of the previous player's measure. The rules for a new measure are:

- The time signature must be 3/4.
- Aim for a tempo of 70bpm for a quarter note.
- There must be two voices. One voice will consist of a single note (for which the duration is free, i.e. the whole measure or shorter), and the other will have 4 notes, with minimum duration for each is an 8th note. You can either use 4 notes for upper voice and 1 for lower voice, or vice versa.
- The notes cannot be played higher than 5th fret (making it easier for others to copy your measure).
- Player must reserve one's turn, and post his/her measure within 24 hours of the reservation (so that game doesn't stop for too long waiting for someone).
- The game will end when I decide to post the final measure. This will happen at latest when lesson 8 will be published.

Here's the start:

Youtube

Hopefully I didn't forget to say something important... If something is unclear, please ask :)
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Ned Henderson

Re: D03, X players, 5 notes in one measure, 3/4 time, 2 voic

Postby Ned Henderson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi Marko and everyone

I will go next - will post something by tomorrow (Sunday) lunchtime at latest :)

Ned

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi folks

Here is my effort. I hope I followed the rules!

Youtube

Ned

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Nice one Ned! No rules broken :)

Here's the score so far.

D03Game_2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Mark Bacon

Postby Mark Bacon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:11 am

Fellas,

Well this seems fun enough. I'll be taking part soon. Is there free software available for writing notation like that? The reason I ask is that it seems unfair for Marko to have to update the score each time. Perhaps every participant could update it after adding their measure?

Mark

PS: This piece already has a distinct Renaissance "spice" to it (good job!!). Would it add an undue level of complexity to say that every four bars makes up a phrase? If so, I would think that every fourth bar should contain all whole notes.

Mark Bacon

Postby Mark Bacon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:23 am

Oh, and can things like slurs, grace notes, or other ornamentation count as "notes" for the melody? It'll give room for lots more variety! :D

*Edit-OK, that may be asking a bit much. I still wonder about the phrasing idea. Without it our "piece" may ramble, no?

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:07 am

Mark,

I used a free program called Musescore, which seems simple enough to use for this purpose. It will be very nice of you to update the score as you add a new bar, but I don't want to make this mandatory, as I fear it will needlessly raise the threshold for participating in the game. So if someone doesn't have the time or interest in learning to use the software, I will be happy to do scoring for them, and please don't let that stop you from joining the game :)

The phrasing thing is a bit difficult to implement as a rule. First, the tempo is slow on purpose, and only whole notes bar will sound uninteresting, and probably more so for the person who gets to compose that bar. Second, I don't think you need such long notes to end a phrase, as you can for example use the single note for the upper voice, and use the same note four times in the bass voice, just to give an example. Therefore I'm keeping the rule the way it is now.

You can use slurs, and each note will count as a note whether it is plucked with the right hand or slurred with the left hand. Grace notes will not be allowed because they will make the piece harder to play. I wouldn't want anyone having to really practice the piece before adding one's own part to it. That's why I made the 8th note minimum duration rule, realizing it will limit one's technical expression.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:21 am

On second thought, now that we are keeping the score, I would say that you are allowed to use grace notes and other ornamentation (and they will not count as actual notes), but they are not mandatory to reproduce when the piece is played back by others. I hope that's ok for everyone?
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Folks

Delighted Mark is joining in, the more the merrier...Briefly, as I have things I need to get on with....I am glad Marko is keeping the rules fairly simple...I agree with what you say Mark about the piece having a Renaissance feel but I would be reluctant to make this into a rule as it may hamper one's creativity. I prefer to encourage us all to listen to what has gone before several times and wait for a "felt response" to arise...so that we may end up either with a Renaissance piece or an interesting blend of ancient and modern....
It will take me a while to learn to score music I am afraid though I will try...I like the idea of allowing grace notes if we want to use them, but let's remember we are level D03 and keep it within manageable limits for anyone on our course.

I look forward to hearing your piece Mark :)

Ned

Mark Bacon

Postby Mark Bacon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Guys-I don't think I"ll be making a submission before midweek. When I asked about the rules I wasn't so much meaning to reserve my turn. Sorry for any misunderstanding! :(

That is-you two can keep building the piece for now. Have fun!

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 am

Ok, no problem Mark. I'll take the next turn.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:23 am

Youtube

D03Game_3.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 am

Excellent Marko. :D I am going next... already working on a couple of ideas...

Ned

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 am

Hi, here is my addition

Youtube

Just in case it isn't clear, my opening chord is a B in the bass voice (sustained for the whole bar), with a B and G sharp in the treble voice.

Ned :bye:

Ned Henderson

Postby Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Marko

:oops: Just realised I broke the rules with my submission since I have two notes in the treble voice and three in the bass....unintended, but to me the added bar felt harmonious with what went before it...

Ned

Return to “Musical Games”