D02- X players, 4/4, 1 Bar, single or double voice

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Laura Staats

D02- X players, 4/4, 1 Bar, single or double voice

Postby Laura Staats » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 am

Here is a new game for 2013-2014. I thought it would be nice to have an optional second voice. I started us out on an Am chord.

Bar1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CarlWestman

Re: D02- X players, 4/4, 1 Bar, single or double voice

Postby CarlWestman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Could you recap how this is to be played - both the game and your music? For instance, is the next person supposed to play both your piece and their contribution? If so, should we have some sheet music? It's not always easy to tell the notes being played. I suppose it is an advantage to go early,

Beatriz Martin

Postby Beatriz Martin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:58 pm

I think Laura means by second voice to have another guitar playing at the same time she plays this, for example strumming the chord. But I don't know how this could be recorded. I can't tell what the notes are just by hearing, I have to look at them.

Laura Staats

Postby Laura Staats » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:51 am

Carl, I think you just write the next measure of our piece. You can play what has been written so far first if you like, or just record your addition.

The first eighth note consists of an A and an E played simultaneously. I am pretty sure playing two notes in harmony, instead of single notes in succession, would be considered a second voice, but correct me if I am wrong. Also, the low A (a whole note) rings for the entire measure underneath the melody, so this second voice can have a different rhythm than the first voice. My intention with adding an optional second voice was that we could use it to add bass notes underneath the melody. Even my notation program was confused :? I made some sheet music of the first bar, and I couldn't figure out how to display the second voice a prominently as the first voice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beatriz Martin

Postby Beatriz Martin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Laura, thanks for starting the game.
Well, I added another bar. I don't know how to write the notes on the computer, so I will give you the notes and if you want you can add them.
I play a C on 2nd string with a C on 5th string at the same time, then a B, G, D, then C, D, E, F.
Sorry about the noise on the recording, I don't know what happened with it this time.

Youtube

Beatriz Martin

Postby Beatriz Martin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Now, that I listen to both playing mine doesn't sound as fluid and as nice as Laura.
Just to explain what I did, I played her part first, then added mine. Next player can add another bar and play the three of them.

Laura Staats

Postby Laura Staats » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:55 am

I like that addition Beatriz. I did my best to notate it. Let me know if this is not what you intended. Rhythmically, I think the last note extends into the third measure. I will let the next person decide how long we will hold that note, and decide if they just want to finish the third measure, or go into the fourth measure as well. Thanks for writing down the notes you played. That made it faster for me to notate.

Paul Shepley

Postby Paul Shepley » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Bar three... first position d minor chord. I'm playing a sustained D on open fourth string in unison with the F on the first string, followed by open E, D on second string, A on third string, D on second, E first string, F first string, D second string... I think.

Youtube

Hope you like :)

Paul S
Last edited by Paul Shepley on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D01 student

Beatriz Martin

Postby Beatriz Martin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Nice piece so far :!: Thanks Paul for your contribution :!: . Thanks Laura for entering the notes on the sheet. Oh, and thank you for sustaining the D from my bar, I didn't realize but I did sustained it and you did good into putting the F on the other bar.

Laura Staats

Postby Laura Staats » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks Paul. I updated our notation with your entry. This is coming along nicely.

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm

File this under "I don't know what the %#$^% I'm doing."

That said, I did give it some thought and experiment. I wonder if the bass notes could be thought of as suggesting a chord progression. I suppose I got onto this line of thinking with Laura saying she was starting off by working with Am. Then Beatriz began with a unison C. Finally (to that point) Paul contributed by starting with a D and F together, both of which are in the Dm chord.

There were no sharps or flats anywhere thus far, so all notes seemed to draw from the C major scale. Now, what do I know about chord progressions? Not a whole lot. I know in blues, a I-IV-V is common. So A/D/E, C/F/G, etc. Of course, this isn't blues.

If (big IF) this piece is effectively in C (just a guess based on the absence of sharps and flats), then we have started VI-I-II. I looked around and couldn't find any progression that began that way, so I abandoned the effort to try to follow a commonly recognized pattern.

But following the pattern of a bass note and treble note played together to start the measure, to my ear, E (2nd fret, 4th string) sounded better than the others following the ending D in Paul's section. I tried various treble notes to go with it, and felt that the unison E sounded best. After that, I had in mind that we might be going back to Am in the 5th measure, so i pretty much did a descending scale except with a hammer-on (slurs) after the treble E to F. I was going to do a pull-off back to E, but it sounded better just plucking E again, before going into the rest of the descent.

So, I did E/e unison (4th string, 2nd fret, with open 1st string), hammer-on to F, pull off or pluck E, then D C B A G.

Feel free to reject this as no good. I could be totally off base with where this is going ... but I did give it some thought and try.

http://youtu.be/L8vN614WWCo

CarlWestman

Postby CarlWestman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Could it be considered a chord progression in A minor? Then would it be I - III - IV? What would go well next, VI? (F)? Well, what's done is done.

Laura Staats

Postby Laura Staats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Carl, I think you started to answer your own questions with your second post. There are exceptions, but commonly the chord we begin on is also the key we are in. Am is the "relative minor" of the key of C major. So far, our single bass notes are implying a chord progression of i - III - iv - v in the key of Am. (The use of lower case roman numerals for some of the chords implies that they are minor chords in the progression.)

Here is a little bit of chord theory for those that are interested. The chords in the key of C are:
C, Dm, Em, F, G7, Am, B dim
The corresponding roman numeral equivalents, which are true for all major keys, are:
I, ii, iii, IV, V7, vi , vii dim
The V chord is considered a dominant chord. We frequently add a 7th to it.

The relative minor of a major key is based of the vi chord, in this case, the Am. The chords in the key of Am are:
Am, B dim, C, Dm, Em, F, G
The corresponding roman numeral equivalents, which are true for all minor keys, are:
i, ii dim, III, iv, v , VI, VII

An interesting thing about minor keys is that we sometime treat the v chord like a dominant chord. Instead of an Em chord, you might sometimes hear an E or E7 chord. This makes for a stronger sense of resolution when we go back to our Am chord.(Our scales also reflect this change. The A harmonic minor scale has a G sharp in it instead of a G natural, which is the note that we change to turn an Em chord into and E chord.)

So far, our ears have naturally been guiding us to a pleasing chord progression within the key of Am.

Paul Shepley

Postby Paul Shepley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 am

CarlWestman wrote:File this under "I don't know what the %#$^% I'm doing."

Me too Carl, me too!

Laura Staats wrote:The A harmonic minor scale has a G sharp in it instead of a G natural, which is the note that we change to turn an Em chord into and E chord.

So I wrote another four bars and I put a G sharp in the last one. Feel free to ignore, that is, anybody can carry on from where the previous post left off, since I've already contributed a bar for this game. I wouldn't want to break the rules. That said, there's not been much action on this thread.

Youtube

Laura, what notation software are you using? I've tried to notate the game so far with 'MuseScore' but I've been unable to figure out how to save it as an image file. It saved as a PDF, ok, and a screenshot in WordPad, ok, but nothing that I can attach here!

I'm playing a half bar in fifth position. The open fifth string A is the whole note in unison with; A first string fifth fret, E second string fifth fret, C third string fifth fret, A fourth string seventh fret, B open second string, C third string fifth fret, B open second string, A fourth string (Campanella)

Next bar, is in third position, C on fifth string third fret is the whole note in unison with; G first string, E second string, D second string, C third string, B third string...

Next bar is a partial F major 7th, I think (?), F on the sixth string is the whole note in unison with, first string open E, C on second string, A on third, C on second, B open second.

My last bar is sixth string open E followed by; E on fourth string, G sharp on third string, B on open second, and high E on first, twelfth fret... why not?

Regards, P
D01 student

Laura Staats

Postby Laura Staats » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:37 pm

I am using Guitar Pro 6. It allows me to export a png file. You could just try doing a screen shot of your computer with MuseScore if it doesn't allow image files. Either that, or I am sure there are other programs that would let you save the pdf from MuseScore as a jpg or png. I think Microsoft Word would let you do that.

Your addition sounds very nice. Ideally, it would be nice to have at least another 8 measures, if not more. Participants should feel free to contribute more.

Return to “Musical Games”