D02- X players, 4/4, 1 Bar, single or double voice

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Paul Shepley

Re: D02- X players, 4/4, 1 Bar, single or double voice

Post by Paul Shepley » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 am

I couldn't upload a screenshot, was in rtf(?) format and wouldn't convert, so I actually took a photo of my screen, etc:
musical game D02.PNG
Musescore automatically added rests in bars 6 - 8, and it sounds sort of close to what I was playing, but I'm not sure it is correct :? Also, I don't know how to add the numerals to indicate barre positions, or that some of the notes should be left to ring... so feel free to make suggestions or improvements.

Regards, P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D01 student

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 am

Wow, Paul, that's really nice. I will love to come back here and play the whole thing. These days I've been busy practising lesson 6 which I want to post this coming weekend. I hope to post the lesson as soon as possible to have time to come back to the game.

Paul Shepley

Post by Paul Shepley » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Bea,

It sounds like you've got your priorities straight. Best to keep up with the lessons. I was thinking about joining the D01 group, but I'm not sure I'll be able to catch up. Anyway, about bars 6 and 7, they are supposed to reflect your phrasing in bar 2. I want to try and delete the rest symbols, and make the last quarter note a dotted quarter note, so it sounds for the same length of time as the last three eighth notes of your phrase... I don't have much experience with Musescore, so it's a bit of a trial and error process.

regards, P
D01 student

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 am

Paul,
I have never use Musescore or another program to write music so I know less than you do about it.
It seems to me D01 is very basic for your knowledge. I think D01 is great introduction to apoyando and dampening techniques. I did it last year without the group, I started the lessons in April and finished in August, I didn't do exam and I didn't get much feedback. I would have progressed more by doing with the group, but i didn't want to wait until Sept. So last Sept I started D02 and I like it, the compositions are less simple and more interesting. But the lessons you could start at anytime, you still have 4 months to do 7 lessons if you want to take the exam in May. If you are not interesting in exam you have until Sept to finish whether you choose D01 or D02, I think with your knowledge it is possible.

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 am

I agree with Beatriz. Paul, with your ability, your will likely be able to catch up if you start one of the levels now. I just started D02 a few weeks ago. The new bars that you contributed were difficult enough that it made it a bit challenging to do a quick example recording to move this thread along. I had to do a few takes to get something passable. I added four more bars. I cheated on our two voice rule and put an E chord for the fourth bar.

Youtube
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Shepley

Post by Paul Shepley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I decided to enroll with the D01 class. Although I've been playing guitar on and off for a few years, I'm actually finding these 'simple tunes' quite challenging, because my rest stroke is not very good, also not used to damping with specific fingers... especially the left (fretting) hand.

Anyway, here's my attempt to play what we have so far, plus Carl's bar again, but with the tune an octave lower. The phrase uses a G natural note, and is pulling towards A minor again, but maybe somebody can pull the tune somewhere else :o

Youtube

By the way, I'm playing a barre in bar six in third position, i.e. index finger is holding a barre across C on the fifth string and G on the first string... etc I think it is easier than jumping back to open position, but that is possible too.

Also, I like Laura's modification changing the high E to a harmonic :D and the additional bars.

Regards, P
D01 student

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:24 am

Really nice Paul,
Glad so signed up for the lessons.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 am

Just to let you know, today I was learning the whole thing except the last part Paul played, but I am not fluid at it yet.

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm

I like that new addition Paul. It sounds sort of like a tag style ending. Paul, the rest stroke lesson almost scared me off of signing up for lessons too. It looks like he starts off at least the first few levels reviewing the rest stroke. I was glad Mr. Delcamp wrote that it might feel difficult at first, even impossible, but that you would get used to it. Those words helped encourage me to keep practicing it until I had something passable to submit. I was actually surprised how quickly I started to get used to it, although I can still only do it at very slow tempos.

Bea, that is great that you learned how to play our composition. It ended up a bit more challenging than I was expecting.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:04 pm

We're somewhat drifting away from the rules that are laid out here. So in hopes of clearing things up, I'm gonna thicken some lines out. Here's what an individual participant of a musical game ought to do:
  • Record a video, going through all of the previous set of notes that other players have added, plus contributing a single bar/measure of your own.
  • Write down a standard notation of the final product up to that point, be it on a piece of paper or computer software.
It's very difficult to keep track of things and participate in this musical lesson if you guys either only play your own contribution, or contribute more than a single bar, or don't provide a standard notation of your work :(

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Stefan, perhaps you could start a new game with those rules specified. This one is feeling a bit played out now anyway, and I think the difficultly level is beyond ideal for level 2, making it challenging for all participants to play the preceding parts before adding a new one.

As far as I can tell from Mr. Delcamp's post, there are no hard and fast rules for a musical game. He did offer some suggestions:
D02 2 players, 4 notes, 3 days, 1 voice
"D02" means that the game is second year level.
"2 players" means that the work is to be constructed by 2 players.
"4 notes" means that each player invents a sequence of 4 notes.
The work is under construction for 3 days.
"1 voice" means that the collective work is monophonic.
The rhythm is free and modifiable.
The first player records a sequence of 4 notes, the second player repeats what his predecessor played and completes his phrase by adding another sequence of 4 notes to it. In his turn, the first player repeats what the previous player played and adds another 4 notes. At the end of 3 days, one of the players finishes off the collective work with a concluding phrase and indicates in his post that the work is completed. If a contribution does not fit the specifications, the other player can ignore it or adopt it, but it is advisable to reject contributions that are above the level proposed and which would put the other player in difficulty.
He also made it clear that it was up to the participants to decide how the games would proceed.
These proposals are only suggestions, we'll see in practice what works best for us.
In practice, there wasn't enough participation on the thread for those guidelines to be effective, so I allowed deviations from the initial rules after the game appeared abandoned for several days.
For future games, I would suggest either allowing longer contributions, or encouraging participants to continue taking turns adding notes or measures as long as at least one other person has submitted something in between. It might also be a good idea to specify 1st position, and perhaps single voice, in order to keep the game from becoming too difficult for those that are new to improvisation and composition.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Because we're not a terribly large group, I suggest keeping it 1 bar per person per post, but allowing multiple posts. We should re-make this thread and start over.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:58 am

This game Laura started was a practice for lesson 6 where Mr. Delcamp asked to participate in a game.
I agree that we should start a game now for lesson 7. As far as students 6 people posted videos on lesson 6, I think as of last lesson there are only six of us.

Paul Shepley

Post by Paul Shepley » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:35 am

Stefan Srećković wrote:It's very difficult to keep track of things and participate in this musical lesson if you guys either only play your own contribution, or contribute more than a single bar, or don't provide a standard notation of your work :(
Stefan, I'm sure nobody will raise objections if you want to add a bar starting from an earlier point in Laura's notation :)

The first four bars were all contributed by individuals - Laura, Bea, me, and Carl. So you could take it from there. The notes I added after bar five broke the rules, :desole: , but I did say that participants should feel free to ignore them...

If you want to give the whole thing a try, then the last couple of bars that haven't been notated yet, are just bar four repeated again, but with all the notes played one octave lower, followed by an A minor chord.

Don't be intimidated by the speed I played it at. I'd been noodling around with it for a while, and was well warmed up! Also note that my tempo dropped off when I got to Laura's additional bars, which I was less familiar with, and I must admit that I was paying no heed whatsoever to correct technique, damping notes, apoyando, or anything like that! Furthermore, if I played it slowly that would have given me more time to make mistakes :mrgreen: which I certainly would do while attempting to record myself!

So, do whatever you like with the notation in Laura's post, I'm sure nobody will mind, and a new contribution or direction for the game could be really interesting :shock:

Regards, P
D01 student

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 pm

It's fine it's fine, I'm not intimidated by it, just that I felt obliged to jump in as things started getting a bit hectic.

I'll rewind it up to bar five and think of something new! :bye:

Return to “Musical Games”