A cedar/maple photo diary...

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: A cedar/maple photo diary...

Postby Steve Ganz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Jeremy. Those pictures are a good start. Do you have any close-ups?
:)
Steve

mqbernardo

Postby mqbernardo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Jeremy,

I always get a kick out of your designs and this one is no exception. It´d never cross my mind to make a straight (not following the curve of the soundhole) fingerboard ending but i really like that look.

Regarding the maple color, have you ever tried darkening it with UV exposure?

congratulations!

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Postby Jason Wolverton » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Beautiful work.
Interesting top bracing... Is that inspired by Stonehenge, or some drawings you saw in an ancient book of spells? Dig it!
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 pm

bacsidoan wrote:New bracing scheme! How does it compare to the triangular one?

Doan,
we can maybe call it the "completion" of the thought process. In a lot of ways I think this pattern is what I've been working toward since I started playing around with triangles and 60º construction "way back" in 2013. The idea that six equilateral triangles around a vertex is one of the only entirely symmetrical/stable least-effort structural systems in nature was sort of "lightbulb" moment. The result was essentially two linked and self-stabilized hexagons, one under the bridge and one under the lower bout. The distribution of stiffness is very even and I really like how it moves. Really it always comes down to the sound and the community of players around me (who have played a pretty large cross-section of my work) seem to think that these last few have been the best ones yet...

It's a different guitar but here's a picture to give you a better idea of what the full pattern looks like --there's still a fair bit to clean up and carve.
52instruments.com
facebook.com/52instruments
instagram.com/52_instrument_co

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Kent wrote:You know what you're doing!

Somedays...
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm

guitarseller345645 wrote:This is very nice...so few guitars with the "reverse" look.

Thanks guitarseller...I'm glad you like it.
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:Wow, very beautiful guitar and wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing your expertise with us by sharing these pictures of this so beautiful classical guitar! Thank you.

I appreciate it! Thanks for checking it out
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:That looks wonderful, I really like the blonde color on that maple. I'd probably slightly prefer spruce on top for looks but I'm definitely curious how this sounds anyway. What's the finish on the body? It looks a bit on the glossy side for French polish, but I guess it's not out of the question.

Thanks powderedtoastman
Cedar/maple is one of my most favourite sounding wood combinations...I also really like spruce/maple so maybe I just like maple.

it's French polish...
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Doug Ingram wrote:Looks great, Jeremy! I appreciate not only your attention to detail but how the various choices of what you do with each detail all work together. That is something that too many makers don't do, especially when they are not strictly adhering to the "classic" guitar look.

As you obviously are willing to try new things, I think that you should try and source some good Eastern White Cedar. You are right in the centre of its range, there must be someone who can supply it for you. I've used it on several guitars and it has a lot to offer. In particular, it is a nice choice for light coloured body woods like maple as it has very much the look of Spruce, colour wise.

Thanks Doug!
I do try to make sure everything sort of "works" together.

It's funny you bringing up eastern white cedar...I just saw a couple boards of it at a lumber mill a little while back and thought it looked like something to look into. I'm glad to hear it worked out...I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open.
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm

printer2 wrote:I was debating on how to do the neck joint on the guitar I am building, might go with the bolt outside the body seeing how well you managed it. I can't say any more than the others have said, really nice work.

Thanks printer2!
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Brian McCombs wrote:New shop looks like the old shop....far too neat.

Nice looking build....and, far too neat as well. :D

Thanks Brian!

The new shop looks as close to the old shop as it was practical to build...really tried to minimize the "trauma". As for the cleanliness and organization...it's a work in progress...I just hate having to look for stuff.
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:Jeremy. Those pictures are a good start. Do you have any close-ups?
:)

sorry Steve...I'll try to get some more detail oriented shots next time...
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

mqbernardo wrote:Jeremy,

I always get a kick out of your designs and this one is no exception. It´d never cross my mind to make a straight (not following the curve of the soundhole) fingerboard ending but i really like that look.

Regarding the maple color, have you ever tried darkening it with UV exposure?

congratulations!

Thanks mqbernardo!

I've been kind of into how the straight fingerboard termination looks too...I'm glad I'm not the only one who sort of digs it.

In an ideal world I would be able to leave the guitar in a lightbox for a month or two to oxidize...the test strips I've done are really promising. I just didn't have the time...I need to plan better.
52instruments.com

Jeremy Clark
Luthier

Postby Jeremy Clark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Jason Wolverton wrote:Beautiful work.
Interesting top bracing... Is that inspired by Stonehenge, or some drawings you saw in an ancient book of spells? Dig it!

Thanks Jason!
Maybe not an ancient book of spells but you can definitely find this pattern in the flower of life...
52instruments.com

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Postby Doug Ingram » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Jeremy Clark wrote:
It's funny you bringing up eastern white cedar...I just saw a couple boards of it at a lumber mill a little while back and thought it looked like something to look into. I'm glad to hear it worked out...I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open.

I pull out the good stuff while I mill white cedar for my canoe work. I've got some stuff right now, its not wide, only about 2 3/4" but all slip cut. Want to try some?

Return to “Luthiers”