Lightweight Case for Romantic Guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
larryguitar

Lightweight Case for Romantic Guitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:29 am

I'm getting a romantic guitar and I'm searching for a lightweight case for it. I don't own a car. I always carry the guitar with me so I would prefer a case that had backpack straps or one that I could buy a cover that had backpack straps.

I don't have the guitar yet but have been told that it is sightly smaller than a Martin O which has the following dimensions:

Total Length 37 3/4"
Body Length 19 1/8"
Body Width 13 1/2"
Body Depth 4 1/16"

Any thoughts?

Eberhard Mueller

Re: Lightweight Case for Romantic Guitar

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Since you don't have precise dimensions for your romantic guitar as of yet, it is difficult to make a definitive suggestion. One option may be the TRIC Parlour guitar case manufactured by Godin. The dimensions are close to what you desire and it has backpack straps. "The La Patrie TRIC is highly impact resistant, protects against heat, cold and moisture, and is ultra-lightweight making it easy to carry!" Check out their sizing chart once you are sure of the guitar's dimensions.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'll consider that case once I get the guitar. It would be nice to find a case that matches the scale of the instrument, the TRIC seems large and bulky.

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

larryguitar wrote:Thanks for the reply! I'll consider that case once I get the guitar. It would be nice to find a case that matches the scale of the instrument, the TRIC seems large and bulky.
TRIC case is bulky but very light. The reason it is larger than expected is that Godin uses the same outer nylon shell as the standard classical size and replaces the inner liner to fit the parlour size. It is a fine case, great protection and travels well - I have two of them. But it might be worth checking into other parlour cases. Although the scale length may be a bit shorter for Romantic replicas, the body dimensions are very close to the parlour.

I have also seen these smaller guitars placed in standard guitar cases by the maker but with additional padding incorporated. That may not be your cup of tea!
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Hey Larry, "super light" guitar cases that are made in Japan are now available on a m a z o n prime. You may want to look into their 7/8 (630 scale) sized cases. They also have a requinto size but that might be too small. They are unbelievably light, you'd almost think the case is empty even when there is a guitar inside.

I wouldn't buy it until you have the guitar on hand however so that you still have a 30 day return just in case.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:55 pm

souldier wrote:Hey Larry, "super light" guitar cases that are made in Japan are now available on a m a z o n prime. You may want to look into their 7/8 (630 scale) sized cases. They also have a requinto size but that might be too small. They are unbelievably light, you'd almost think the case is empty even when there is a guitar inside.

I wouldn't buy it until you have the guitar on hand however so that you still have a 30 day return just in case.
Thanks a lot! I'm going to try the 7/8th case. I should have the guitar in hand next Saturday! ;-) That will give me time to return the case if it does not fit.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Well, I probably shouldn't get too excited about the case as my seller has informed me that it is probably not deep enough for the guitar. He would need to know the internal depth of the case and that doesn't seem to be a number that is published anywhere. The guitar is not of the French persuasion so the case will probably not work but I'll just have to try it and see.

RedCliff

Post by RedCliff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Mono do some nice portable cases and do sell an acoustic parlour guitar case - they have back straps. I have a concert Ukulele case by them and it is high quality.
Giles Ratcliffe
Sheffield
England

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 pm

larryguitar wrote:Well, I probably shouldn't get too excited about the case as my seller has informed me that it is probably not deep enough for the guitar. He would need to know the internal depth of the case and that doesn't seem to be a number that is published anywhere. The guitar is not of the French persuasion so the case will probably not work but I'll just have to try it and see.
The depth of the superlight 7/8 case is 11cm or 4.3" inches. What is the depth of your guitar?
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:30 pm

souldier wrote:
larryguitar wrote:Well, I probably shouldn't get too excited about the case as my seller has informed me that it is probably not deep enough for the guitar. He would need to know the internal depth of the case and that doesn't seem to be a number that is published anywhere. The guitar is not of the French persuasion so the case will probably not work but I'll just have to try it and see.
The depth of the superlight 7/8 case is 11cm or 4.3" inches. What is the depth of your guitar?
Is that the internal depth of the case? I believe that the guitar is also 11cm, LOL.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 pm

That's the internal depth. Does your guitar have a greater depth than a standard classical guitar? That would seem quite strange if it has a smaller body. According to the website, the full size super light cases have the same depth as the 7/8 case, so it really shouldn't be a problem. In the end there is only one way to find out though. It really is hard to find decent cases for smaller size guitars these days.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 pm

souldier wrote:That's the internal depth. Does your guitar have a greater depth than a standard classical guitar? That would seem quite strange if it has a smaller body. According to the website, the full size super light cases have the same depth as the 7/8 case, so it really shouldn't be a problem. In the end there is only one way to find out though. It really is hard to find decent cases for smaller size guitars these days.
You know what we say in the computer field about standards. The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!

What is the standard guitar body depth? I just took a cloth tape measure to my Marin Montero and it looks like 9cm or so. So, yeah, the new guitar is kind of strange, smaller and deeper.

You're right, it is difficult to find cases for smaller guitars. I have been in touch with a maker of replicas of romantic guitars and he's still searching for a good case. I will report back once I get the guitar but I'm not optimistic.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 pm

RedCliff wrote:Mono do some nice portable cases and do sell an acoustic parlour guitar case - they have back straps. I have a concert Ukulele case by them and it is high quality.
Their cases strikes me as a little bit too much like a gig bag but it might be an option. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I was looking for a case with a little more rigidity.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:25 am

I just learned from the maker that the guitar is 12.5cm at the bridge. So, it will come down to whether they measured the depth with or without the lid. Hope is dimming.

The case arrives tomorrow, Sunday, so I will measure the inside to see if I have to send it back.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 pm

As I feared, the internal depth is exactly 11cm, which means there is not enough room for the bridge, so the lid will not close. The maker told me to use CD jewel cases to measure the internal depth, a neat trick, I think.

So, back to the drawing board! The rest of the dimensions of the case were good, I think, and I like the reduced size, but it just is not deep enough.

Any other ideas?

Return to “Luthiers”