Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Michael Lazar
Luthier

Daniel Friederich Replica

Post by Michael Lazar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:03 pm

Last September I replied to a thread titled

"Friederich style guitars – who’s making them here?"

My reply read as follows

"Interesting that this thread should pop up today. I have a friend with a very nice Friederich cedar top guitar that I first saw about a year ago when he brought it to me for some minor set up work. I really like that guitar and as I was pondering what to do for my 117th guitar I somehow got the urge to try to replicate the Friederich. I'm honestly not really sure why I want to do this but I am quite excited about it.

I started two days ago with the neck and head stock. I've not decided for sure what top wood I'll use but it will probably be cedar. Although I prefer spruce for the guitars I make in my own style I have made a few with cedar and I don't dislike working with it. I will try to replicate Friederich design and aesthetics to the best of my ability. My two biggest challenges will be the sculpted head stock design and the rosette.

If there's any interest, I can set up a thread to document the project and post photos as the project proceeds. I expect it will take about 2 months to complete."

As it turned out, I did proceed with the project but I didn't get around to documenting the build on the forum. I did take a few photos along the way and as a number of forum members expressed an interest, I'll do this now.
Last edited by Michael Lazar on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justfun

Re: Daniel Friederich Replica

Post by Justfun » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Thank you Luthier Lazar,

I would love to see the build.

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

AndreiO

Post by AndreiO » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:51 pm

More information about Daniel Friederich, you can find in the book of Roy Courtnall http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Making-Master-Gui ... 0709048092
That is a good book for a beginer, alos you can find some usefull information also as amateur/profesional guitar maker.In time some small details can be forgot.
Succes I am curious about result, especialy about sound.
www.classicalguitars.ro

Krokmou

Post by Krokmou » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:22 pm

I look forward to see the build !
Olivier Pozzo - French luthier - Spruce double-top guitar

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 pm

In order to proceed with the project I hunted down as much information as i could find about Friederich and his guitars. This included a short article by Tom an Mary Anne Evans (1977), an interview by Andrea Tacchi (1997), a recent interview published in the Orfeo on line magazine, plans based on a 1972 Friederich cedar top guitar and numerous photos.

After reviewing the plans, two authentic Friederich guitars and numerous photos, I identified two challenges relative to limitations in my own skills. The first was the sculpturing that Friederich executed on the headstock face plates for his "Concert" models. I do not have the tooling I would need to do that with a power router nor the skills and patience to do it by hand so I decided that this guitar will be a copy of the "Recital" model. My second challenge would be the rosette. Rosettes have not interested me nearly as much as all of the other aspects of guitar making. All of the mosaic rosettes in my guitars have been purchased from commercial suppliers. Apart from those I've made a number of "modern" rosette styles that did not incorporate mosaics but rather herringbon/wheat patterns against solid wood backgrounds and veneer band borders.

But thankfully James Lister posted a full description of his mosaic process in the documented post about his 100th build so I decided to give it a try. Friederich's rosettes do not appear to be identical from one to the next but they have three elements in common; the pattern/colour scheme for the central mosaic, herring bone bands near the outer and inner circumferences and a variety of coloured veneer bands separating those elements and forming the inner and outer borders.

First I plotted the patterns and colours on my computer and cut .5mm veneer strips.
Rosette~S1.jpg
Then I sorted the strips according to the horizontal pattern layers and glued them
Rosette~S2.jpg
Planks were cut from the blocks,scraped to .5mm thickness, glued & clamped
Rosette~S3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Michael Lazar on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:09 pm

I believe Tom Blackshear has Friederich style rosettes for sale.

Ricardo Barros
Amateur luthier

Post by Ricardo Barros » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Great !

I really like your build threads ; By the way, wonderful documentation of the constrution process on your website too !

I am finishing my guitar #3, and it is an all wood lattice braced, built with the specifications you provided, Mr Lazar.
Sergio Abreu 2012 (sp/ir)
Ricardo Barros 2013 (cd/ir)

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Looking forward to the rest of your essay, Michael!

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:48 pm

I cut the mosaic "logs" into 2mm slices and arranged them around a channel cut into the top.
Rosette~S4.jpg
After the sides of the mosaic pieces have been bevelled and the elements have been glued into the channel, the rest of the process is straightforward. Channels are cut on either side of the mosaic inlay and the veneers strips, herringbone bone borders are fit and glued in. I like to square off the ends of the assembled rosette and fill in the gap with a scrap of top wood.
Rosette~039.jpg
The end result was not quite what I'd be completely pleased with but passable to the non critical eye. As the guitar is somewhat of an "experiment" for me I decide to use it and proceed.

Construction of the top is quite straight forward based upon the Courtnall plans I purchased. But when the bracing is complete I'm somewhat stunned by the appearance. The outer fans seem grossly oversized. After checking the plans I search the internet for images of Friederich tops. Apart from two old grainy black & white analogue photos that I think might be of authentic Friederich tops in two different styles, all I find are photos of copies by other luthiers. In almost every case the outer braces are dramatically reduced in height except where they pass over the transverse brace below the sound hole. I remind myself that my purpose here is to discover and learn so I stick to the plan. After some tapping and other testing I find that the top seems quite responsive with fundamental resonances within the range of what i look for in my own guitars. But I am apprehensive.
Top~003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manuel Najera
Amateur luthier

Post by Manuel Najera » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Michael Lazar wrote:".....The outer fans seem grossly oversized ....."
Hello Michael,

Actually, for me, out of my own and short experience, all of the bracing looks oversized to me. Is it compensated with a thinner soundboard (less than 2mm)?
I would love to know the final result in sound, tone and volume.

Beautiful job on the rosette BTW! :bravo:

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks for the interest and kind comments everyone. The exercise here was to stay with the plan but subject to Roy Courtnall's caveats which, of course, make good sense. One caveat was regarding the plantilla. Courtnall pointed out that Friederich's guitars varied a little in the outline from one to the next. My plantilla (I've used for years) is extremely close in both dimension and shape to the plan so I did not make a new one. The next and very important caveat dealt with top thickness. Measurements were provided but Courtnall points out that the top thickness needs to be governed by the properties of the specific top material being utilized. I thicknessed my top to the fundamental resonance that I find effective and it came out somewhat thinner than Courtnall's measurements (1.9mm versus 2.1mm ).

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:01 pm

Yeah, the fans look really oversize. This will help the treble register, to the expense of some warmth, but it will help it in the concert hall.
I really like your rosette!

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:18 pm

Thank you for the nice photos.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Here are a few photos of the neck work. The sides are doubled to 4mm hence the wide slots.
Neck~S1.jpg
Neck~S2.jpg
Neck~S3.jpg
The neck, sides and top assembled waiting for the back
Assembly~001.jpg

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:00 pm

I know very little of the Friederich model but I too am amazed at the dimensions of those braces. It's virtually what one would expect from a beginner who is frightened to death of string tension or someone who is building for steel strings! It shouldn't 'work' but somehow it obviously does. There's a picture in the Orfeo magazine of Friederich bracing and although it's a somewhat different pattern it clearly shows bracing that is very substantial.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Luthiers”