Daniel Friederich Replica

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Re: Daniel Friederich Replica

Post by Alexandru Marian » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

2mm cedar is quite flexible and there is a lot of open space outside the fan, I think the big outer braces are well thought. On his later schemes with less heft on those two braces, the fan seems more spread out.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:34 pm

The picture in the Orfeo magazine is of a seldom used bracing system that Friederich says was for "guitarists whose attack was a bit dull, thick, heavy with hefty rest stroke playing."

Here is a photo of the two styles most commonly used. I'm hoping these are photos of authentic Friederich tops. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I found them. The one on the right is the style that is used in the Friederich guitar that I worked on. The outer braces in that guitar are enormous as well.
Friederich 2 styles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

The one on the left seems much lighter. The one on the right seems very heavily braced. Put the ribs and the linings on that second one and it doesn't seem to me as though there is a lot of space outside the fans. Now go to that 3 brace Bernabe and that's what you call space!
Historicalguitars.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:01 pm

All the work looks good Michael. The two outer braces are substantial, the inner ones look good to me. I build a similar style bracing (Granada style Marin-Montero) .... but I've not had a Friedrich in my shop. Perhaps those outer braces are integral to the system.
Thanks for the nice pictures. I'll be checking back to see how it emerges.
Steve

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Michael Lazar wrote:The picture in the Orfeo magazine is of a seldom used bracing system that Friederich says was for "guitarists whose attack was a bit dull, thick, heavy with hefty rest stroke playing."

Here is a photo of the two styles most commonly used. I'm hoping these are photos of authentic Friederich tops. Unfortunately I cannot remember where I found them. The one on the right is the style that is used in the Friederich guitar that I worked on. The outer braces in that guitar are enormous as well.
Friederich 2 styles.jpg
Michael,

I seem to remember that in the interview with Tacchi, he references developing the top in the second picture with added cross struts to raise the resonant frequency of the top. Is it your impression that it is the more recent bracing pattern he uses?

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, the second top with the added cross struts is the more recent pattern. I used the older pattern for my "project" as that was the only detailed plan that Courtnall was offering. I'm considering trying the other pattern and will try to ascertain the brace positioning by analysing and comparing the two photos. I may also be able to get the real Friederich back for examination.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Here are two more photos of construction elements. I didn't take a lot of photos during construction. In the next post I'll post photos of the finished instrument.
Assembly~003.jpg
Bridge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm

Here are photos of the completed guitar.
AA 001.jpg
AA 003.jpg
AA 005.jpg
AA 007.jpg
AA 009.jpg
AA 006.jpg

CT20

Post by CT20 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Very attractive!

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:39 pm

It came out well! I await your report on the result.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:45 am

Work on this project took a back seat to a commission I had received from the UK. I completed the construction during the first week in November and I strung the guitar up unfinished. By the following day, the guitar was showing signs of promise despite my misgivings about the top bracing. Both the basses and trebles were strong and firm, balance and clarity were good and I was surprised by the volume. I found the trebles quite exciting in terms of their tonality and especially the sustain which seemed quite exceptional. I needed to get back to work on the commissioned guitar so I removed the strings so that I could start work on french polishing the Friederich replica between work sessions on the commission. I didn't finish the polishing until early this month at which time I strung it up again. I had a few of my friends play it and they commented favourably so I posted it for sale on my web site. I have to confess, I didn't pay as much attention to it as I might have without the other pressing work.

On January 13, a good friend and client who heads up the guitar program at the Mount Royal University in Calgary contacted me to ask if I could send the BRW/Spruce guitar I'd built to show at a luthier's fair to him for a student to look at. A mutual friend was driving to Calgary and would pick the guitar up from me and deliver it to him. I asked him about the student and he advised that it was a 17 year old female who was an exceptional player. She was playing a Marin Montero guitar and having recently formed a duo with another gifted Calgary player found that her guitar could not match the volume of her partner's. So, I decided to drive to Calgary myself and bring both the Friederich copy and the other guitar. There would be several hours available for both the girl and the teacher to work them over, compare, assess and so on. I could be there in person and make my own assessments.

As it turned out, the girl is a truly exceptional player. The guitars were played both extensively and critically by both with each having opportunities to both play and listen. First they commented about the similarities remarking that they both sounded like they were made by the same luthier. While i sort of agreed, that seemed strange given that the designs were completely different. Then as they got into the nuances they discovered differences in the nature of tone colours, response to different kinds of attack and so forth. The girl commented that the sound seemed to "float" out of the Friederich while it "popped" out of the BRW/spruce. Preference for one over the other moved back and forth several times.

The girl's mother was there as well and we both kept out thoughts more or less to ourselves. But, by this time I was starting to conclude that my "experiment" was definitely worth the time and effort regardless of anything else.

After about three hours, it was time for me to leave and the girl remained undecided saying she loved both. So, I told her to take them both home for a week. She could play them with her duo partner and also to compare them with her Montero Marin. Maybe after a few days, the "novelty" would wear off and a different reality might emerge in which case neither guitar would be right for her. I told her she could bring one or both instruments back to my friend after she had made her decision and I would arrange to get them back on my own.

After four days a got an email from the mother telling me that the girl "loved the Friederich copy and that were keeping it. I since got the cheque in the mail.

I hope some of you find this all as interesting as I did. Certainly I have, for the umpteenth time learned how little I know and how much there is to learn. Guitars truly are amazing in their endless possibilities.

Leo Apray

Post by Leo Apray » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:52 am

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the pictures and especially thank you for the story.

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:48 pm

"Guitars truly are amazing in their endless possibilities"
Thanks for taking the time to share that story!

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Great conclusion to a great story!

robert e

Post by robert e » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:39 pm

"Guitars truly are amazing in their endless possibilities."

They are also beautiful, apparently. Thank you for sharing, Michael. And congratulations on your accomplishment, as well as on the sale. I imagine that it must be especially satisfying for a luthier when one of his creations ends up in hands that are both appreciative and deserving.

I'm curious whether such an audition process typically involves making playability adjustments, either on the spot or back in the workshop.

Return to “Luthiers”