Daniel Friederich Replica

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Michael Lazar
Luthier

Re: Daniel Friederich Replica

Post by Michael Lazar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:21 pm

robert e wrote: They are also beautiful, apparently. Thank you for sharing, Michael. And congratulations on your accomplishment, as well as on the sale. I imagine that it must be especially satisfying for a luthier when one of his creations ends up in hands that are both appreciative and deserving.

I'm curious whether such an audition process typically involves making playability adjustments, either on the spot or back in the workshop.
Yes, it is satisfying and it really never gets old. This situation was a little different in that I was somewhat slavishly following someone else's design but I feel that it may have opened up doors to a shift in some of my paradigms. Only time will tell I suppose.

I don't often have to make playability adjustments. I use standard action heights which seem fine to most of the stronger players. Nearly all of my guitars are made to commission and some of the casual players players will discuss a softer action during the commissioning process. That being said there are always some that I have to provide adjustments for after they have played their guitar for a while..

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for sharing this Michael, the build itself was great but now having the trial process as well made it doubly so.
Often with these you see a guitar built but never get the 'what happened next'.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:07 am

Hi,
are you planing to make more Friederich Replicas?

fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:54 am

I think the design is robust and gorgeous. Do you scrape the sides thinner? Is the top slightly domed? What is the rough thickness of the top? I have no acoustic science backround, but I can speculate in my eyes that those bracing patterns and thickness have a lot to do with making standing waves get the acoustic box pumping some serious air. Oh man I'd love to hear that one.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:19 pm

MessyTendon wrote:... What is the rough thickness of the top? ...

If you look at one of MIchael's earlier posts you will see this:
Michael Lazar wrote:…. I thicknessed my top to the fundamental resonance that I find effective and it came out somewhat thinner than Courtnall's measurements (1.9mm versus 2.1mm ).

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi Fred. Yes, I am planning to make at least one more Friederich replica using spruce for the top, his more recent top bracing design and the sculptured headstock. I'm hoping to start later this month.

Hi MessyTendon. Yes the top is a little thinner at 1.9mm and the lower bout is domed at about a 30 foot radius.

Andy Culpepper
Luthier

Post by Andy Culpepper » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Nice job, the rosette looks great.
The only Friedrich I've personally examined had a very thin cedar top - 1.6 to 1.7 mm all around, measured with a Hacklinger gauge.
How thick are those sides?

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:37 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind words Andy. The top thickness information is both interesting and extremely welcome. I had a cedar Friederich in my shop but I don't have a Hacklinger so I don't know for sure what that top is. The Courtnall plans called for 2.1 mm but I have to say I am a little suspicious of his plans. Those same plans make no mention of doubled sides so that is definitely an error. In one of the interviews Friederich says his doubled sides are 2 X 2 mm thick for a total of 4 mm so that is what I made mine.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:14 am

Beautiful work, Michael. And if your client is fully satisfied that must be a great feeling! Congratulations on the culmination of a successful project!

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:16 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:Beautiful work, Michael. And if your client is fully satisfied that must be a great feeling! Congratulations on the culmination of a successful project!
Thank you for this kind sir. It was indeed a satisfying as well as surprising and educational outcome. I'm rapidly becoming a Friederich aficionado. I only wish I had access to more information about his work and, of course, more of his instruments to examine. But I'm pretty sure I will continue this exploratory journey as best I can.

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi Michael: A very cool story, that I've read several times. I find it interesting that you had trepidation about the outcome, and yet it turned out great. I hope you find continued success with this and perhaps other "transgressions" along the way. By the way would be nice to meet you again. I've still got the Rompre, if I can be so bold,I actually have learned to play it, it is a remarkable instrument. Best to you!
Sherman

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Very nice thread. Nice guitar, very clean.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Just a small comment on the Courtnall book. The book does indeed mention the double sides and is almost verbatim with what is mentioned in the much later Orfeu article. (2mm+2mm, rosewood/rosewood or rosewood/mahogany) This info may not have been transferred to the full-size plans. I don't know as I just scale up the plans from the book.

I can see a Friedrich style guitar in my not too distant future. :-)

roycourtnall

Post by roycourtnall » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 am

Great story! Over the years I've lost track of how many people contacted me to check if the Friederich strutting etc is correct in the plan / book.
It IS correct and the guitars made this way usually work really well.
Daniel Friederich himself sent me his hand drawn plan listing every strut dimension, so I am confident no errors crept in. Likewise, the photo in my book of his soundboard with strutting in place, was supplied by him.

Ricardo Meirinhos

Post by Ricardo Meirinhos » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:43 am

Beatiful work Michael!!!

I will try one Friederich plan one day but the bracing system looks not easy!

Three questions:

1 - You glued the kerflings fisrt and then glue the sides to de soundboard. Correct?
2 - What wood did you used in the kerflings?
3 - Why didn't you try the double sides construction?

Thanks in advance

Return to “Luthiers”