Pine for top of guitar?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
glassynails

Pine for top of guitar?

Post by glassynails » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:22 pm

I was reading through an old "Classical Guitar Magazine" online and noticed an ad for a guitar with a "solid pine top". I never thought or have heard of a top made out of pine. Sounds interesting.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Re: Pine for top of guitar?

Post by Chris Sobel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:10 am

It worked for Torres on a couple guitars. I'm sure the right piece could sound great.
CE Sobel Guitars

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:11 am

Hey! The very first guitar I made had a pine top, salvaged from an old door. Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately) it went on a bonfire a few years later. One day I might try and recreate that guitar, if only for the sake of nostalgia.
The 'solid pine top' you mention may well have been spruce. Sometimes people interchange the terms. Then again it may well have been a pine top.
Bouchet's very first guitar had a pine soundboard. It does seem to sound a little different but not in a bad way. I quite like the sound of it.
Visually the soundboard certainly has the look of pine, wide grain. What we would call a grade C soundboard. Tonewood dealers stop at grade B.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4893- ... uchet.html
Historicalguitars.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:13 am

In some places the words 'pine' and 'spruce' seem to be taken as the same thing.

Didn't those guitars sold by good old Sherry-Brenner, the Garcias and Barberos and Hernandezeses : ) have labels saying they were pine tops.
I could have the names not quite right but folks here will know the ones I mean.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:32 am

Old Japanese guitar makers and ads sometimes quoted guitars as being with a "pine" top, but it was a more of a translation issue and the top was spruce.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:14 am

David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

khayes

Post by khayes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:17 am

Guitar-ded wrote:In some places the words 'pine' and 'spruce' seem to be taken as the same thing.

Didn't those guitars sold by good old Sherry-Brenner, the Garcias and Barberos and Hernandezeses : ) have labels saying they were pine tops.
I could have the names not quite right but folks here will know the ones I mean.
I think my first Sherry-Brenner Garcia label said "Old growth plywood" :D
Ken

DennisK

Post by DennisK » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:56 am

What kind of pine are we talking about? There are a lot, covering a wide range of densities. Looking through stats on wood-database.com, eastern white, western white, and sugar pine look the best to me.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 am

I think that the pine I used was Scots pine but of course I had no way to identify it with any certainty. It was old wood, probably 100 years old.
Historicalguitars.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:31 am

Michael.N. wrote:...
The 'solid pine top' you mention may well have been spruce. Sometimes people interchange the terms. ...
Almost certainly. The Spanish for spruce is "pino abeto" and the Spanish for pine is simply "pino". Easy confusion.

In many ways it doesn't matter anyway. Check out some of Alan Carruths (+others) posts about the properties of softwoods that can be used for guitar tops. In a broad sense they all have very similar characteristics. It should be perfectly possible to make a great guitar out of any one of them. For example, a recent thread somewhere was looking at the properties of larch and came to the conclusion that it is perfectly OK for tops.

printer2

Post by printer2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Home Depot 'pine' top, and sides and back.

Fred

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Amazing. Home Depot sell master grade pine. You'll really struggle to find pine of that quality in the UK equivalent. The best I've come across is hemlock that was well quartered and reasonably fine grained. Fine grain being around 10 grains per inch! Hemlock might be another candidate, similar density to pine.
Historicalguitars.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:40 pm

khayes wrote:I think my first Sherry-Brenner Garcia label said "Old growth plywood"
:lol:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Quality pine is hard to come by around here too, it must be the location. Most of the stuff they sell on the higher grade racks at Home Depot or Lowes in my neighborhood is good by pine standards but its not all that great, they must sell the higher grades off to someplace else.

I like the looks of yellow pine if you can get good clean examples of it. It develops a very nice golden brown patina once it ages.

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:10 pm

As I recall was not Alice Artzt's alleged Torres built with a larch top?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Return to “Luthiers”