Pine for top of guitar?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Re: Pine for top of guitar?

Post by Doug Ingram » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:44 pm

White Pine can look quite Spruce-ish, not all cuts show the resin streaks, as you can see in this photo. I'm showing it now only as there seems to be strong interest in seeing it worked into guitars.

I think that we could get a lot more good Pine tops is sawyers were inclined to process it for instruments. I definitely provides a viable alternative and I'd love to see it used more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:23 pm

Doug Ingram wrote:White Pine can look quite Spruce-ish, not all cuts show the resin streaks, as you can see in this photo. I'm showing it now only as there seems to be strong interest in seeing it worked into guitars.

I think that we could get a lot more good Pine tops is sawyers were inclined to process it for instruments. I definitely provides a viable alternative and I'd love to see it used more.
Nice looking guitar Doug, is it one of yours? I like the detailing on the bridge--and the color of the top is nice as well.
CE Sobel Guitars

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Hard to tell it apart from an aged spruce top, perhaps impossible with a photo. This is what I refer to as the spirit of Torres (and no doubt quite a few other makers). Using what was available, often locally available, to the best of their abilities. As far as I'm concerned that makes for a much more interesting landscape.
Historicalguitars.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:41 pm

This never fails to amuse me. 33 responses have gone by and the OP is nowhere to be found :wink:

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:48 pm

bacsidoan wrote:This never fails to amuse me. 33 responses have gone by and the OP is nowhere to be found :wink:
Happens again and again it seems. :casque:
CE Sobel Guitars

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:00 am

Doug Ingram wrote:White Pine can look quite Spruce-ish, not all cuts show the resin streaks, as you can see in this photo. I'm showing it now only as there seems to be strong interest in seeing it worked into guitars.

That is a beauty! I followed your build thread that you referred to a few posts back. I don't remember what you used for brace material, but I'll check again.

No more convincing needed for me about being a viable alternative than listening to Billy Arcila play that pine topped 1946 Bouchet from Michael.N.'s early post.

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:53 am

Chris Sobel wrote:
Nice looking guitar Doug, is it one of yours? I like the detailing on the bridge--and the color of the top is nice as well.
Chris, yes it is. Its the FE17 inspired guitar that is in the link that I referred to above. I wasn't going to show more photos of it feeling that the link would do. However, with the interest in showing the Pine tops, I thought that an extra photo now would be OK.

The bridge detail is derived directly from the Torres original.

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 am

Michael.N. wrote:Hard to tell it apart from an aged spruce top, perhaps impossible with a photo. This is what I refer to as the spirit of Torres (and no doubt quite a few other makers). Using what was available, often locally available, to the best of their abilities. As far as I'm concerned that makes for a much more interesting landscape.
I agree with you Michael, on all accounts. One thing that does set the Pine apart from Spruce is that you really don't see much silk.

Dave McCoomb

Post by Dave McCoomb » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Printer2 Nice austere build.Looks like you went as simple as possible to get to the sound as soon as you could.Can you please discribe it's sound? Also what is the neck and fingerboard made of. Thank you,Dave

printer2

Post by printer2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:34 am

The neck is spruce and the fingerboard is walnut. Some more pictures here.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=103585&p=1103004#p1103004

The neck was a piece of 2"x3" stud that I had handy and glued together to get the width. I baked/torrefied the top and back, had no luck with bending the sides so the sides are not baked. Yeah, no wasted effort on this one, it was ready for finish in two weeks. Maybe one day I'll have to get organized and see how little time I could make one in. It sounds not too bad, it does not have a deep bass as a larger instrument and it would be nice if the treble on the E string hung around a little longer. Mind you if I put a good set of strings on it... ...otherwise it sounds fairly balanced and for lack of a better word intimate. Sort of a nylon couch guitar, won't fill up a hall with sound but fine for a corner of a room.

Just built it as a quick nylon fix as I had some wood to build another guitar but thought it might be a while before it gets finished. Speaking of, I really should get started on it. The winter went by without me building one. I have some incentive to do it now, the neck has some buzzing frets that have recently made themselves known. Maybe should have put a rod in the neck. But then again I should have had the other guitar built by now.
Fred

radicicclassical

Post by radicicclassical » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:16 pm

American white pine with least amount of resin could work fine for the top but well quartered board is hard to find in home depot ! However white pine with dense grain could work fine for braces though

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:21 am

I wonder if white pine clapboards (used for siding) could be used to avoid the guesswork of ..."is this quartersawn? is it vertical grain?.." etc. Apparently the good ones are always supposed to be quartersawn to avoid warping. They obviously would need to be planed - and I'm sure there would be some raised eyebrows when you only want to buy one board haha, but check them out:
image_20858.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:12 am

tateharmann wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:21 am
I wonder if white pine clapboards (used for siding) could be used to avoid the guesswork of ..."is this quartersawn? is it vertical grain?.." etc. Apparently the good ones are always supposed to be quartersawn to avoid warping. They obviously would need to be planed - and I'm sure there would be some raised eyebrows when you only want to buy one board haha, but check them out:
image_20858.jpg
I was told that It used to be valued for shingles because it didn't split. That looks like great wood. I bought some quarter sawn WRC from the local lumberyard and kept it for 8 years; it made a nice soundboard. It was leftover from a project. I've got an Adirondack chair that would've made two or three nice tops.

Martin Woodhouse

Post by Martin Woodhouse » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 am

If you can find / cut a good piece of a suitable species (there are over 120 species of pine, with a wide range of different properties), then it can work very well. This is a guitar I made last year with an Austrian Stone Pine (Pinus Cembra) top.

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Edmund Blochinger just made 2 pine guitars. The pine is 500yrs. old! There are vids up on utube.

Return to “Luthiers”