Sakazo Nakade and signature

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
bullpuppy

Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:08 pm

I purchased a SAKAZO NAKADE made in 1969 and haven't received it. The model number was stained and the only thing I can see is 20C (there may be a 6 before the 2). The label is not signed. I do see that many Kohnos and Matano are not signed, but Tumura brothers always did.. I read on a post sometime ago that signing the label started to become more common in the 70's .

Does anyone know the meaning of number and letter on Sakazo Nakade guitars? Often the number corresponds to the number of purchase price in yen times 1000 or 10000. So this guitar probably was 20000 yen . So Sakaz of had a workshop similar to Ryoji with a wide price range. Did he only sign guitars he built?

waikuentsui

Re: SAKAZO NAKADE and signature

Post by waikuentsui » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Sakazo Nakade's Japanese name is 中出阪蔵
Here is a photo of his signature in kanji.
Sakazo Nakade kanji signature.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

waikuentsui

Re: SAKAZO NAKADE and signature

Post by waikuentsui » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:01 pm

I had tried to decipher the model system of the Nakade guitars, but to no avail.
I know he used single and double numeric digit in combination of "A", "B", "C" and "D".
What do the models mean in terms of "Wood (cedar/sprice)" and "Price"?
I have no idea.

An interesting historic note:
In 1942, because of health reasons, Sakazo actually retired from the violin luthier business and moved back home to farm.
In 1950, he was encouraged to return to Tokyo and to guitar making by his family, likely his brother Rokutaro, since guitars were starting to become popular.
I read in his bio that he averaged about 30 guitars a year.
I don't know whether he signed all his productions.
The only consistency was that he always signed his expensive productions.

bullpuppy

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks for the information waikuentsu. I'm looking forward to my first Nakade. Have you had a chance to compare the brothers work? Do they sound similar? I was curious on how his guitars made during the late 60's and early 70's compare to Tamura P60, Khono( Aranjuez No 6 with kohno top) and Matano (Clase 500) that I have in my collection. The models are all concert level with their own character. The Aranjuex No. 6 is a great concert guitar. The two Matano Clase 500 are very impressive and the Tamura is close behind. At this level it is a matter of taste on which one is better. I have read good things about Nakade brothers.

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:56 pm

bullpuppy wrote:I'm looking forward to my first Nakade. Have you had a chance to compare the brothers work? Do they sound similar? I was curious on how his guitars made during the late 60's and early 70's compare to Tamura P60, Khono( Aranjuez No 6 with kohno top) and Matano (Clase 500) that I have in my collection. The models are all concert level with their own character. The Aranjuex No. 6 is a great concert guitar. The two Matano Clase 500 are very impressive and the Tamura is close behind. At this level it is a matter of taste on which one is better. I have read good things about Nakade brothers.
Well, lucky you.
I do not even have one Nakade, let alone comparing the two brothers' productions.
Fellow Delcamp member "dandan" has several Nakade's.
Hope he will chimp in on this thread.

I am just an amateur guitarist who love to research classical guitars made in Japan.
I do have some guitars similar to your collection but not Nakade's.
My opinion is the same as you.
Each of these famous Japanese luthiers can hold their own.
By and large, I think in that era, the objectives were
- Spanish sound
- Deep bass
- Clear trebles
- Balance of Tone up and down
- Ease of play
- Craftsmanship

Nowadays,
- Beauty of wood
- Loudness
- Elaborated ornament and hardware
are getting more important as well.

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:05 am

I have a couple of Nakades, but not yet a Sakazo. Like you, my first Sakazo is on its way! Its a 1966 model D ( no number, label is signed). I'm afraid I can't shed any light on the model numbers. I've seen early (50's) A1 and B3, 60's B, D and E, 70's 3000S, 500D so it seems he mixed it up a bit. To complicate things further other family members used their own numbering system. My Rokaturo Nakade is the best guitar I've ever had. Looking forward to comparing it with the Sakazo, as he had the better reputation. I suspect that may be because Rokaturo died in early 70's, so Sakazo was around much longer and built many more guitars. I have heard that at the time of Rokaturo's death they were both equally esteemed in Japan.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Sound like we both have nice guitars arriving. Too bad mine is not signed like yours, but all will be revealed when played.

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Not necessarily a bad thing. My Rokaturo is not signed on the label and that is a fantastic guitar.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

dandan

Post by dandan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:30 pm

My Sakazo has arrived! Different bracing to the Rokaturo in that it has 7 fan braces rather than 5. Its louder than the Rokaturo, but the Rokaturo has a more comfortable neck. Both have a warm tone, but with a bit of an edge, which is missing in the Toshihiko.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:56 am

Sounds nice. Mine is a week away. I was playing my Tamura P60, my Matano clase 500, and my kohno today. All are concert class but each have such different character and they were competing with each other at the same time. It will be interesting to compare the Nakade. I can't keep them all it's going to be hard choice to let any of them go.

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:38 pm

I received my first Sakazo Nakade today. It is a surprise. This guitar is a flamenco negra in all aspects. It is a model 400C from 1969. The guitar if very light, just a little heavier than my all Cypress/spruce Clarence Barnett. I was thinking that the guitar was a classical which someone added some stick on tap plates, but the plates are permanent. The guitar does not have a spanish foot but a dovetail block. I don't know what type of neck was customary for Sakazo guitars. The back and sides are solid thin rosewood. When I change the string later today i'll get a shot of the bracing.

The strings are pretty decrepit but it has high volume and sharp trebles. The old strings are still stretching so far it sounds pretty impressive. If he was intentionally making negra's 1969 that would be somewhat unique. I am not sure if he was running a workshop or making each guitar himself in 1969. If anyone knows I would appreciate the information.

I would guess that this sold for about 40000 yen in 1969 but I can't figure out his numbering scheme.

I always wanted a Flamenco Negra but never seemed to pull the trigger on one. I guess now I have one. My only complaint is that I am not a fan of white tap plates.

Some pics are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9x9k4kyst8i ... w98ka?dl=0

dandan

Post by dandan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:25 pm

Congrats on the new acquisition! The bracing pattern and rosette is the same as my model D, but that is very much a classical and although fairly light, not noticeably so for a classical. I'd resist the temptation to try and remove the tap plates.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80

RockyWestTexas

Post by RockyWestTexas » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:25 am

Attached is photo of the label on my Nakade guitar. The guitar was purchased in Hawaii around 1967 at a time when classical guitars were very difficult to acquire. My mother purchased the guitar from a service man who had purchased several from Japan. It has a 660+ scale length and a very beautiful sound.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:00 pm

bull puppy wrote:…. I was playing my Tamura P60, my Matano clase 500, and my kohno today. …. and they were competing with each other at the same time….
That is a pretty neat trick!

bullpuppy

Post by bullpuppy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:41 pm

I put some labella median-hard tension stings and once streched it sound pretty nice. Very responsive. I may sell it only because I have 12 guitars and it is not significantly better or different than others in my collection. It is top class in all aspects. Thanks for all the feedback.

My pictures are below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9x9k4kyst8i ... w98ka?dl=0

Return to “Luthiers”