Sakazo Nakade and signature

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
dandan
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by dandan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 pm

I have recently figured out Sakazo Nakade's numbering system. In the early 60s he used a system of B1, B2, B3, etc. I've no idea what the B stood for. His brother Rokutaro used a similar system with A as a prefix. I've seen A3, A5, A7, A9 and A12. In each of the systems the number relates to the price in yen, eg. A5 was 50,000¥. While Rokutaro kept his system until his untimely death in 1972, Sakazo changed his system in the late 60s. Initially he just used letters, eg. A, B, C, D, E. About 1969 he started to use numbers as well, again to reflect the price of each model, like so:
400 C
500 D
600 E
800 SF (not sure what the S is for)
1000 G
I've also seen 1200 S and 1500 S, which don't fit into this system, so I can only guess the S stands for special, maybe special order or special edition, I'm not sure. I do know the models up to 600 E were Indian rosewood 800 SF and above were Brazilian. He used this system from 1969 until at least 1974, when I guess he put his prices up. I'm not sure about the late 70s, but in the 80s he used only numbers, 2000, 3000, 5000 and 8000, each again reflecting the price of each model.
I might be the only one who finds any of this interesting, but thought I'd share anyway!
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by rinneby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 pm

dandan wrote:I have recently figured out Sakazo Nakade's numbering system. In the early 60s he used a system of B1, B2, B3, etc. I've no idea what the B stood for. His brother Rokutaro used a similar system with A as a prefix. I've seen A3, A5, A7, A9 and A12. In each of the systems the number relates to the price in yen, eg. A5 was 50,000¥. While Rokutaro kept his system until his untimely death in 1972, Sakazo changed his system in the late 60s. Initially he just used letters, eg. A, B, C, D, E. About 1969 he started to use numbers as well, again to reflect the price of each model, like so:
400 C
500 D
600 E
800 SF (not sure what the S is for)
1000 G
I've also seen 1200 S and 1500 S, which don't fit into this system, so I can only guess the S stands for special, maybe special order or special edition, I'm not sure. I do know the models up to 600 E were Indian rosewood 800 SF and above were Brazilian. He used this system from 1969 until at least 1974, when I guess he put his prices up. I'm not sure about the late 70s, but in the 80s he used only numbers, 2000, 3000, 5000 and 8000, each again reflecting the price of each model.
I might be the only one who finds any of this interesting, but thought I'd share anyway!
You know there is at least one more ;) I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts on your latest find. A 600 E wasn't it?

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

dandan
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by dandan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm

It was indeed! By my reckoning the highest model with Indian rosewood. One model above the model "D" I have now. If they're too similar I may have to sell one but I'll worry about that if and when it happens. It'll have to be one hell of a guitar for me to like it more than my model D!
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

bullpuppy
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Sakazo Nakade 1971 model 1200Y

Post by bullpuppy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm waiting the arrival of a 1971 model 1200Y. I was wondering if anyone has had a 1200 model from 1971. I found a reference to with a 1200D which said it was entirely french polished which would be unusual.

Carter53
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by Carter53 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm

dandan wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm
It was indeed! By my reckoning the highest model with Indian rosewood. One model above the model "D" I have now. If they're too similar I may have to sell one but I'll worry about that if and when it happens. It'll have to be one hell of a guitar for me to like it more than my model D!
I am relatively new here and have been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering if you received your "E" model and how it compared to your "D"?
1964 Sakazo Nakade "D"
1980 Kuniyoshi Matsui M-10
1975 Fernandes GC-30
1980 Cervantes MC800
2015 Viktor K. " El Vito MRC"

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by rinneby » Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Carter53 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm
dandan wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm
It was indeed! By my reckoning the highest model with Indian rosewood. One model above the model "D" I have now. If they're too similar I may have to sell one but I'll worry about that if and when it happens. It'll have to be one hell of a guitar for me to like it more than my model D!
I am relatively new here and have been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering if you received your "E" model and how it compared to your "D"?
I know as much as it sounds lovely :) I leave the rest to Curt.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Carter53
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by Carter53 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Actually Jon, I just purchased (stole) a signed 1964 Sakazo Nakade "No. D' last evening from the big auction site, largely based on information gleaned from this thread and a couple of others. I am hopeful that it is a sound instrument (no pun intended) and anxious to see if it matches the positive reviews I've been reading about his guitars here.
I played guitar as a youth but kinda fell away to do other things. I am now in my early 60's and returned to playing last summer. I didn't intend to become a "collector" but since last August I have purchased eight classical guitars, mostly vintage Japanese. I am fascinated by the variety of sounds each produces. Some I absolutely love, and others I'm still trying to figure out - kinda like when I started tasting wines - overtones, sweetness, aftertaste (sustain), etc...
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading comments from you who have been at this so much longer than I and am grateful this site exists with so many willing to share their experiences with others.
1964 Sakazo Nakade "D"
1980 Kuniyoshi Matsui M-10
1975 Fernandes GC-30
1980 Cervantes MC800
2015 Viktor K. " El Vito MRC"

dandan
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by dandan » Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Carter53 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm
dandan wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm
It was indeed! By my reckoning the highest model with Indian rosewood. One model above the model "D" I have now. If they're too similar I may have to sell one but I'll worry about that if and when it happens. It'll have to be one hell of a guitar for me to like it more than my model D!
I am relatively new here and have been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering if you received your "E" model and how it compared to your "D"?
I have indeed received the model E and it is another excellent guitar. Very similar to the model D in sound, but a bit more decorative. Has similar bracing to the D, a 7 strut fan design. I couldn't quite get the action low enough for my tastes, so I did consider selling it, but I decided it sounded too good to sell without at least trying to get the playability sorted, so it is currently in the hands of my local luthier undergoing treatment!
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

Carter53
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by Carter53 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 pm

I hope your luthier prevails in adjusting it to your tastes. Will you post any photos when it is finished?
1964 Sakazo Nakade "D"
1980 Kuniyoshi Matsui M-10
1975 Fernandes GC-30
1980 Cervantes MC800
2015 Viktor K. " El Vito MRC"

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by rinneby » Mon May 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Carter53 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm
Actually Jon, I just purchased (stole) a signed 1964 Sakazo Nakade "No. D' last evening from the big auction site, largely based on information gleaned from this thread and a couple of others. I am hopeful that it is a sound instrument (no pun intended) and anxious to see if it matches the positive reviews I've been reading about his guitars here.
I played guitar as a youth but kinda fell away to do other things. I am now in my early 60's and returned to playing last summer. I didn't intend to become a "collector" but since last August I have purchased eight classical guitars, mostly vintage Japanese. I am fascinated by the variety of sounds each produces. Some I absolutely love, and others I'm still trying to figure out - kinda like when I started tasting wines - overtones, sweetness, aftertaste (sustain), etc...
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading comments from you who have been at this so much longer than I and am grateful this site exists with so many willing to share their experiences with others.
Congratulations, I'm sure you will be happy with the stolen guitar... Anyway, I encourage you to visit our thread "We who love Japanese classical guitars" and share your thoughts about your guitars.

All the best from Sweden

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Mon May 08, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1975 - Atushi Nakamura No.15
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Carter53
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by Carter53 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Thank you. I absolutely look forward to reading more and sharing my experiences.
1964 Sakazo Nakade "D"
1980 Kuniyoshi Matsui M-10
1975 Fernandes GC-30
1980 Cervantes MC800
2015 Viktor K. " El Vito MRC"

dandan
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by dandan » Mon May 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Carter53 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 pm
I hope your luthier prevails in adjusting it to your tastes. Will you post any photos when it is finished?
I actually posted the guitar in the for sale section, so photos can be seen there, although the sale is currently on hold.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

bullpuppy
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by bullpuppy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:12 am

I received my nakade 1971 1200 y. I wrote about it in another post. It happens to be the best guitar I have encountered to memory. Construction and bracing like a ramirez 1a, sounds like a cross between ramirez 1a and a top kohno. The finish is somewhat of a mystery. It could be varnish. I just enjoy every aspect of it. I have to do some work on it but the sound makes the effort worth it. Love after a few notes.

User avatar
eno
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: Boston, USA

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by eno » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:48 pm

dandan wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 pm
While Rokutaro kept his system until his untimely death in 1972, Sakazo changed his system in the late 60s.
Right now there is A100 1974 guitar for sale in Japan by Rokutaro so it looks like he was still alive in 1974.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.20 1975, No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade A9 1969, custom 1967, A1 1962
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969
Takamine C136S 1976

dandan
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: newcastle-under-lyme, staffs, England

Re: Sakazo Nakade and signature

Post by dandan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 pm

I stand corrected! 1972 was the latest I've seen and had read he died in the early seventies.
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alan Hamley, Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], coreybox, senunkan and 54 guests