French Polish Shine

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Aaron Green
Luthier

French Polish Shine

Post by Aaron Green » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:18 am

Due to many other obligations both in and out of the shop, this guitar was about 2 months worth of french polishing. Obviously a whole lot of sitting there shrinking back and a fair amount of leveling between bodying sessions. The curve of the back creates some distortion in the image but overall, I'm happy with how my shop looks....

Here's the back just prior to the final polishing out

Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

SeanWinkler

Re: French Polish Shine

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:45 am

And the guitar sounds even better than it looks!
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:43 pm

The multi-use finish. Mirror for shaving, then playing! Nice!
Hauser III 2014!

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:46 pm

Sean did you play it? Tell us more please!
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Dofpic wrote:Sean did you play it? Tell us more please!
Play it? I own it! I was able to pick it up yesterday, and I'm thrilled. It's exactly what I was hoping for when I placed the commission with Aaron. This is his smaller plantilla, which suits me better than the standard size. The balance, projection, and tonal palette are all incredible. This is by far the finest guitar I've ever owned, and I dare say the finest I've had the pleasure to play.

Aaron has always been very generous in sharing the opportunity to see some of the world class instruments that pass through his shop for restoration. As a result, I've been able to try out instruments that I could never afford to own. Over the past 10-15 years I have bought and sold many guitars while narrowing down the style of instrument that I would want for a "lifer" guitar. What you see here is the culmination of that process, and I couldn't be happier.

I'd welcome the opportunity to provide more details via PM to anyone considering a commission with Aaron. I think the next batch is fully claimed, but there may be open slots in the build cycle after that--I'm sure Aaron can provide more details.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Congratulations Sean.
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Congratulations Sean. It's beautiful! Watch out for the high humidity when you're using it as a mirror for shaving!! I hope you know I'm just having a bit of fun with you. What top did you choose and scale length. And what was your tuner choice?
Thanks for the information about Aaron! :bravo:
Hauser III 2014!

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Spruce top, sterling silver Rodgers machines, 650mm scale. I'll try to post some photos when I have a chance, but right now I'm just enjoying the playing part.

senunkan

Post by senunkan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Wow that's quite an shine!
Congratz to Sean and Aaron!
Any clips to share the amazing voice of the guitar?
Sen CL Goh
2013 Sen Goh (S - IR)
2010 Sen Goh (S - IR)
1996 Ross Gutmeier (C - IR)
Alhambra 4P
Yamaha CG110

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:02 pm

senunkan wrote:Wow that's quite an shine!
Congratz to Sean and Aaron!
Any clips to share the amazing voice of the guitar?
Not yet. I'm not really set up to record, and I'm not all that comfortable in front of a camera anyway. I'm hoping to bring her back to Aaron's the next time Frank Wallace is there for a recording session. In the meantime, this is a similar design and pretty close to what I'm getting from my new Green (though I'm of course biased and think mine sounds even better!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYIejZVCVaw

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Well done Sean.
Best of luck with it.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:58 am

Thanks everyone. I am of course happy that Sean is happy and also very interested in getting this one recorded as soon as possible. Frank will no doubt be coming down at some point in the not too distant future as I have a beautiful Tacchi Coclea Thucea model that deserves to be recorded.

Aaron
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:53 am

Sounds terrific from the one shared. Wonderful music to wake up to on an early Morning in Zurich. Terrific balance between those awesome basses and strong clear trebles. Aaron you must have some other pics you can share of the top, rosette, headstock, etc.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Hope your time in Switzerland is productive! I'll see about a few photos, Ive put up the rosette shot and that may be all I have right now. I don't always get the chance to get them professionally photographed. Maybe Sean can pop off a few.....:)
Aaron Green, Luthier

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:44 am

Congrats, Sean! I got to try your guitar at Aaron's, and I'm envious! It's a beauty in every way. I'd love to hear Frank play it, too.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Return to “Luthiers”