Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby rinneby » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Leo Apray wrote:Hi Jon,
I have never heard of "the Butterfly".
I'd love to see the label, if you don't mind, of course.
I used to have a GC-3D, but it has signature from Takahide Kaneko.

Leo

Actually I was wrong, my label reads: 金子 隆英 (Takahide Kaneko) - The confusion came from another site and their GC3D. Sorry about that :)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

User avatar
andreas777
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby andreas777 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 am

I found the following specifications for Yamaha GC-?A guitars that list some additional properties as the Yamaha guitar archive. I always thought that my GC-3A has a laminated back but it seems it's solid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Gary Macleod
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby Gary Macleod » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:34 am

I don't get it, I played the 3 top end Yamaha go guitars last month . The gc82 cost £10 k ! It sounded worse than a Paco Castillo 204.

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby rinneby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:25 am

Gary Macleod wrote:I don't get it, I played the 3 top end Yamaha go guitars last month . The gc82 cost £10 k ! It sounded worse than a Paco Castillo 204.

I played quite a few Yamaha's, some of them good, others not so. They tend to be on the warm side, at least the older ones, sometimes a little "boxy" sounding. But my GC3D from 1972 is very sweet for example.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

HNLim
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby HNLim » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Let's wait for Beowulf Yamaha GC82S.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW -10-string-convert 2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Self-made
HN Lim 15-string - S/NEW - WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

Francisco
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby Francisco » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:24 pm

I ended up buying the GC42S after a lot of hesitation and going back to try it. I’ve had it for about 3 months now, I didn’t want to post anything on it until I saw how the sound unfolded. I kept the original strings for about 6 weeks, and am now using a set of Galli carbonio. I intend to try out different strings. So far I am extremely happy with the guitar. Words are blunt instruments to describe de subtleties of sound. I find the sound extremely pleasant, warm and sweet, with the usual variations that guitars offer from day to day for no apparent reason, plus the variations dependent on the state of one’s nails etc. The sound is remarkably even throughout the guitar, with the right amount of resonance and sustain, with none of those unpleasant surprises of notes that stick out for no reason here and there. Unless some misfortune occurs, I intend for this to be my main guitar, practically my only guitar, for the rest of my life.

One thing worth mentioning. Before buying it I checked the accuracy of every note, fret by fret, measuring the frequency with a PitchLab application on my phone. I can say without hesitation that the intonation of this guitar is the closest to perfection I’ve ever seen. I was astonished by this. Most of the notes were within 2 cents of perfect, and the maximum deviations I saw didn't exceed 5 cents. This is something I had never seen before (granted I had never tested this on a guitar as pricey as this one).

I found an interview with the luthier whose signature appears on the label, Mr Akio Naniki. The interviewer makes the introduction in Thai, and then the interview is conducted in English, though Mr Naniki’s English is rather limited and difficult to understand. He says the wood (for the top) comes from Europe. He says his apprenticeship took place under Mr Kato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGdXtebuBIo

I don’t know how much exactly Mr Naniki participated in the making of my particular instrument, but I am very very happy with this guitar.

Julian
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby Julian » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 am

Guys, any idea about this Akio Naniki? Although I have not touched my Yamaha GC 71 circa 1984, I was told that this gentleman Akio Naniki has his signature of my GC 71. Normally the high end Yamaha guitars were then built by Toshioa Kato or Hideyuki Ezaki.

Anymore information about Mr. Naniki?

Julian
Masaru Kohno No.50 - 1981
Yamaha GC 71 - 1984
Gary Southwell 'Hauser 1940' ex. Julian Bream - 1997
Oskar Graf - 2000
Fritz Ober 'Hauser 1' - 2007
Richard Brune 'Fleta 1956' - 2011
Andrea Tacchi 'Bouchet' - 2014

Francisco
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby Francisco » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:29 am

Julian wrote:Guys, any idea about this Akio Naniki? Although I have not touched my Yamaha GC 71 circa 1984, I was told that this gentleman Akio Naniki has his signature of my GC 71. Normally the high end Yamaha guitars were then built by Toshioa Kato or Hideyuki Ezaki.

Anymore information about Mr. Naniki?

Julian


In the interview he looks like he is (at most) 60 years old today, probably less, so in 1984 he would have been in his 20s, at most. Unlikely to have such a young person signing Yamaha guitars.

beanctr
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:43 pm
Location: Coastal, NC

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby beanctr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Francisco wrote:I ended up buying the GC42S after a lot of hesitation and going back to try it. I’ve had it for about 3 months now, I didn’t want to post anything on it until I saw how the sound unfolded. I kept the original strings for about 6 weeks, and am now using a set of Galli carbonio. I intend to try out different strings. So far I am extremely happy with the guitar. Words are blunt instruments to describe de subtleties of sound. I find the sound extremely pleasant, warm and sweet, with the usual variations that guitars offer from day to day for no apparent reason, plus the variations dependent on the state of one’s nails etc. The sound is remarkably even throughout the guitar, with the right amount of resonance and sustain, with none of those unpleasant surprises of notes that stick out for no reason here and there. Unless some misfortune occurs, I intend for this to be my main guitar, practically my only guitar, for the rest of my life.

One thing worth mentioning. Before buying it I checked the accuracy of every note, fret by fret, measuring the frequency with a PitchLab application on my phone. I can say without hesitation that the intonation of this guitar is the closest to perfection I’ve ever seen. I was astonished by this. Most of the notes were within 2 cents of perfect, and the maximum deviations I saw didn't exceed 5 cents. This is something I had never seen before (granted I had never tested this on a guitar as pricey as this one).

I found an interview with the luthier whose signature appears on the label, Mr Akio Naniki. The interviewer makes the introduction in Thai, and then the interview is conducted in English, though Mr Naniki’s English is rather limited and difficult to understand. He says the wood (for the top) comes from Europe. He says his apprenticeship took place under Mr Kato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGdXtebuBIo

I don’t know how much exactly Mr Naniki participated in the making of my particular instrument, but I am very very happy with this guitar.


I also have a GC42S that I got last fall and have been playing a lot lately. Its a really nice guitar, the craftsmanship is impeccable. The woods are top notch and it has a very nice tone. I've given up playing around with strings and just use EJ45 or 46's for my guitars.

I had a GC32C for a short time and it was very nice but the 42 is a big step up. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby rinneby » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 am

Anyone played a Yamaha C-400? Seems like a student model?

Year(s) Sold: 1976-83
Top: Solid Spruce
Back/Sides: Indian Rosewood
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
String Length: 658mm

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

HNLim
Posts: 2112
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby HNLim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:01 pm

There is a Yamaha GC30A for sale on that famous auction site. If you are intetrsted, this is the item number:172576836959.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW -10-string-convert 2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Self-made
HN Lim 15-string - S/NEW - WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Postby rinneby » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

HNLim wrote:There is a Yamaha GC30A for sale on that famous auction site. If you are intetrsted, this is the item number:172576836959.

Indeed, but the price is not quite "right" ;)

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar


Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], da23will, Dadapano, J. Bertholdo, Leo, MartenFalk, rinneby, Ryeman, senunkan and 26 guests